Starting A New Tank - Lots Of Questions!

Author Topic: Starting a new tank - Lots of questions!  (Read 3249 times) 7 replies

Offline jpskinner

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Starting a new tank - Lots of questions!
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey all, thanks for creating such a great community, there is so much good information here!

Many years ago I had an aquarium but unfortunately when I left home for university it had to go in storage. Now I have finally bought my own place and the tank can come back out of storage. This time I am determined to do everything properly!  I have read though the forum a lot but I apologise if I am asking questions that have already been asked elsewhere!

I just have a few questions before I start adding water. I am really keen to keep live plants (nothing fancy just enough to try and give the fish as nice environment as possible). The aquarium I have is an aquaone 620 tank (90L).  The lights that fit in the hood are 2x 18w florescent bulbs. Are these adequate or do I really need something like a T4, and if so does anyone know of a brand that is compatible with the fittings already in the tank hood? If the original bulbs are OK to use, they come in 3 different “colours”; sunlight, tropical and marine (or any combination of those) . Any ideas which would be the best?

My nearest fish retailer isn’t particularly well stocked (pets at home) so for now I shall buy all the extra bits online until I find a good retailer for the livestock. Which brand of water dechlorinator is a recommended one? I have read that come of them contain things that can disrupt the tank cycling and what’s a good brand for the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite testing?

The filter originally had the carbon chip things in it (along with the ceramic noodles and sponges etc) however I remember reading somewhere that these aren’t necessary and can disrupt the cycling of the tank and also that they can take out nutrients that are important for plants, is that true?

Finally, how vital is it to add fertiliser into the substrate? And if so can anyone recommend a good product? Can the fertiliser be added at the start or will that disrupt the fishless cycle?

Sorry for all the questions. I Just want to make sure that I am doing everything right!
Many thanks
Jack

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Starting a new tank - Lots of questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:01:16 PM »
Hi Jack, welcome to the forum  :wave:

To answer your questions (but not necessarily in the same order):

Dechlorinator
I use API Tap Water Conditioner. This just detoxifies chlorine and binds metals. It does not detoxify ammonia so it is fine if your water company uses chlorine. If it uses chloramine, this dechlorinator splits the chloramine into chlorine and ammonia, removes the chlorine but leaves the ammonia there. In this case, you will need a dechlorinator that also detoxifies ammonia. You could try contacting your water company to find out which they use but when I emailed mine all they did was send me a water quality report which does not contain the information. I might have got the info I wanted if I had rung them but emailing is free  ;D
API TWC does not contain anything to 'stimulate the slime coat', another reason I like it.
It is also very concentrated, which means it is very easy to add the right amount to each bucket of water during a water change.

Carbon
It isn't necessary as you have discovered. It is a throwback to the days when all filters did was remove the yellow colour which builds up when you don't do any water changes. But it is useful for removing medication after treating sick fish, so keep some in the cupboard.

Lights
If the fitting is for T8s that's all you can use. However, I have LED lights that can use the fittings for supports. They have their own power supply and use plastic end caps so they can slot into the fluorescent tube holders. Google Superfish retrofit led.
But if you only want low light plants, T8 tubes are fine.
The colour is mainly down to personal taste. Some lights make everything look pinky-orange which I don't like. And with low light plants, the colour doesn't make much difference. However, if you want high-light plants you will need better lights than 2 x 18w T8 tubes, so I will let those members with this type of planting advise you for that.

Fertiliser
This depends on the plants you intend. Some grow in the substrate, some grow attached to decor.
There are special plant substrates but my understanding is that after a year or two, all the added fertiliser will have gone and you have add fertiliser for the plants when this happens. Or you could use plain gravel/sand and add fertiliser tabs from the start.
I have only plants that are attached to decor so I use a liquid fertliiser that is added to the water. Because mine are all slow growing plants I use less than the manufacturers say.

Have you read up on fishless cycling yet? There is a newer method now (see Filtration and Cycling section) which is designed to stop nitrite getting high enough to stall the cycle. The old "add ammonia every time it drops to zero" method made so much nitrite that it inhibited the nitrite eaters and stalled the cycle.
Alternatively, if you intend having a lot of plants (and I mean a lot) you can set up the tank with plants, wait a week or so to make sure they are growing well, then add fish a few at a time. Floating plants are particularly useful for this method. Plants use ammonia as fertiliser and lots and lots of well growing plants will take up the ammonia before it has chance to harm the fish. The reason that floating plants are regarded as an ammonia sink is because being at the surface they are nearer the lights and can access carbon dioxide straight from the air.

Any other questions just ask. One or other of the members will be able to help  :)

Offline jpskinner

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for the information! That's really useful!

I have read the forum on fishless cycling, is the new method that you are referring to the post pinned to the top of the Filtration and Cycling section? Can liquid fertiliser be added while the tank is cycling? 

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
Yes, it's the third pinned topic in that section.

If you intend doing a fishless cycle, it is better to leave planting till after the cycle has finished as some plant species can't cope with that amount of ammonia in the water. When there are fish, the ammonia is made tiny bit by tiny bit over 24 hours adding up to a total of 3 ppm, or a bit less. But with cycling, the whole dose is added in one go and some plants don't like that.

With fishless cycling it is a good idea to know how hard your water is. Most water companies have that information somewhere on their websites. There are two types of hardness, GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) Most water companies that have hardness on their websites only give 'hardness' ie GH. A very few also give alkalinity, which is their term for KH.

GH is important for choosing fish. There are hard water fish, soft water fish and those that can live in any but the extremes. It is much easier to get fish that like your hardness than to try and alter the hardness to suit the fish.

KH is also useful. In general terms, if GH is high, so is KH, and they also tend to be low together. KH is important during fishless cycling for two reasons.
The bacteria we want to grow need carbonate in their diet, so you need to artificially boost it if you have very soft water.
Carbonate buffers the water against pH changes. If there is a lot of it, pH is very stable. It is almost impossible to alter the pH of water with high KH. But with low KH it is easy for the pH to fall. The cycling process makes a lot of acid, which uses all the KH in soft water leaving nothing to buffer the pH. The pH then drops very quickly - but the filter bacteria need highish pH to multiply properly.

So all that essay really means is - have a look at your water company's website and see if you can find your hardness. If it is med soft to hard, good. If it is soft or very soft, we can tell you what to do about it.

Offline jpskinner

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
Thanks, that's really interesting. The water report from my house states that the water is "very hard" with 371mg/l of calcium carbonate. So that should be enough to keep the pH stable and feed the bacteria during the cycle but I guess I have to be careful choosing fish when it comes to stocking the tank!

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:38:07 PM »
It is plenty hard enough for cycling  :)

There are two units used in fishkeeping. These are dH or German degrees (usually called just degrees) and ppm (or mg/l CaCO3). You already know your ppm (371) and this converts to 20.7 dH. Those are the two figures you'll need when reading fish profiles. The website Seriously Fish is one of the better sites for fish info.

Littlefish on here also has very hard water so she will be able to suggest fish that will be happy in your water.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
Wow, @jpskinner  someone who has harder water than me.  :o
Mine, according to my suppliers website, is 17 dH.
I found this article very useful when considering what fish to choose http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwhardness.htm
I've also got a bit carried away with oddballs, including dwarf puffers and mudskippers (not in the same tank).  ;D
Fish suitable for very hard water can sometimes be a bit more difficult to source if you want something unusual, but there are actually lots of fish available when you start looking.  ;D

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
Hi jpskinner,

I have an old AquaOne 850, which is a similar tank to yours. When I started, I had fluorescent lights and they were ok for the easy plants I had. I later converted to dual tube LED lights because some of the light brackets broke so I could only have two bulbs instead of three (though your two bulbs should be enough for your tank).

As for substrate I'm using a layer of Tetra CompleteSubstrate topped with 1.5-2 cm play sand and it's been working well for the past few years. I heard you could use John Innes No1 instead of aquatic substrate, but I didn't try that myself.

Just be aware that any type of soil will probably leach some ammonia into the water initially. So if you decide to go that route I'd recommend waiting a few days before you check the water and add ammonia for fish-less cycling.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Starting a new tank - Lots of questions!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2013, 06:34:43 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 09:30:30 PM
by Cazzybaby
8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 05:12:20 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2014, 07:57:21 PM
by Mogwai
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
59 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 06:26:08 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: