Apache's Catfish Community Thread.

Author Topic: Apache's Catfish Community thread.  (Read 31371 times) 192 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I fear this obsession to breed fish is being undertaken without any serious consideration for their well-being and quite frankly I find it very offensive.  :isay:

Maybe I'm just a grumpy ole woman but I feel the issue needs to be raised with the child.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
In that case, I'm a grumpy ole woman as well.

How do you manage to get through that breeding fish is not getting a male and female and hoping for baby fish.

The adult fish must be conditioned to get them in breeding condition, then placed into a breeding tank separate from all other fish.
The parents must be removed as soon as eggs are laid (or in the case where one parent cares for the eggs, remove the other parent, then the caring parent as soon as the eggs hatch).
The fry need to be raised in a nursery tank not a breeding net as they need room to grow.
The fry must be fed very regularly and the tank cleaned daily to remove uneaten food.
The fry need larger grow out tanks as they get bigger.
And last but not least, there must be a market for the juvenile fish.

Extreme One did all this when his agassizi apistos bred. Going back through his thread, he looked after the fry for about 11 weeks before they were big enough to take to a shop for store credit.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
Yup I remember the care, attention to detail and forethought he put into the project. A responsible, mature approach very unlike Apache.

I'm all for encouraging children to have pets and guiding them so they learn that responsibilities are part of pet ownership. Apache however isn't heeding any advice offered to him and just does what he wants anyway. >:(

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks guys.  :cheers:

I'm not an expert, as you all know, but I did research carefully before undertaking my little breeding project.

There are several important things to consider.

1. Can you ensure the eggs will be safe from predation?
2. Can you ensure the parents can be rehomed as soon as the eggs are laid? A great many parent fish will eat eggs or fry.
3. Can you provide the correct food and conditions to raise freshly hatched eggs from fry to juvenile fish?
4. What will you do with the surviving juveniles?
5. Why are you doing this? Is it for profit?

FWIW I spent more money on food and equipment than I made by swapping the juveniles for store-credit.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
I think it is very useful to consider all of the questions that you have listed.
I should imagine that the initial set up etc. for a breeding project can be quite costly, and it would take quite a long time, and considerable rounds of breeding, before you would make enough money/store credit to cover those costs.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
I spent more money on food and equipment than I made by swapping the juveniles for store-credit.

Something that Apache fails to understand. Another point of irritation is that despite claims of having no money to buy the basics needed to run a fishless cycle and monitor water quality, he appears to have no problems finding the money to buy fish. Seems to me he's 'playing' at fish keeping, treating fish as toys.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Re: Apache's Breeding tank: progress and updates: Mystery Corydoras Eggs!!!
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »
found some panda eggs in a PVC pipe! currently in a floating fry trap. they are with an air stone and they are turning orange/brown!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2016, 10:53:10 PM »
Oooh, panda cory eggs. Cute. Does the colour change mean that they are fertile and going to hatch?
My peppered cory have laid eggs, but have usually eaten them before anything else happens. I did find one tiny fry a while back, but haven't seen it since.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »
only 3 eggs left...
In that case, I'm a grumpy ole woman as well.
I fear this obsession to breed fish is being undertaken without any serious consideration for their well-being and quite frankly I find it very offensive.
Fiona and Sue, i have taken into account of what you have said and i know that my planning is not at your standard but this is my first aquarium. This tank has been my independence and my pride and joy. I hope to have pictures up soon.

Sorry if I have offended you

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
only 3 eggs left...

Fiona and Sue, i have taken into account of what you have said and i know that my planning is not at your standard but this is my first aquarium. This tank has been my independence and my pride and joy. I hope to have pictures up soon.

Sorry if I have offended you

Apache, we fully appreciate your enthusiasm for the hobby and you will continue to have support here. But I feel I should come in here and attempt to "clear the air"

As hobbyists we have a responsibility to do everything we can to ensure the health and welfare of the animals we choose to buy and keep in our "artificial environments." By association, we have a responsibility to provide help and advice to others with this as our top priority. I have no doubt you will struggle to find any others who care about fish as much as the likes of our @Sue and @fcmf and any of us who post here on a regular basis.

It is refreshing to see someone so young take an interest in the hobby and for the most part you seem to appreciate the welfare of the fish. But - if I may - you seem to be "jumping in at the deep end" a bit with going from Zero to Breeding in one step. I know I would not have the confidence on my own to attempt such a venture straight out of the gate. Hence I would take heed of the advice these lovely people have offered you and either work hard to follow the advice, or accept that maybe a different direction for your first tank would be wise and return to a breeding project later.

One other thing I am acutely aware of is the overwhelming instinct to follow the advice and instruction of a trusted parent. My own dad kept an abundance of fish over the years and while he did things mostly right, he does not have the information available to us now (as all old-school fishkeepers have. It's nothing personal, but things have moved on and we understand so much more nowadays about what these fish go through to satisfy our whim).

So please don't take these comments to heart. You have the freedom to do whatever you decide is right for you and the direction of your project. We cannot stop you but we will advise against any potential maltreatment of living animals. What you will have to appreciate is that if you continue to seek advice here and consequently decide you don't like the advice or go against it, you will inevitably get less members willing to contribute in the future.

I hope this has helped provide you with an insight into how the members may feel. On behalf of the mod team I would like to repeat that you will always have support here, provided you demonstrate that you hold the ethics of the membership.

Number one priority is the fishes welfare. Everything else comes later.

#Thinkfish

P.S. I personally look forward to your pics  ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2016, 09:01:52 PM »
Superb post @Paddyc  :cheers:

Very well put.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
Thanks @Paddyc I feel much better  :cheers:

The pics from a smartphone aren't that clear. The eggs are in the tube in the last pic at the back.  :blank:  :fishy1: :blank:

Oh drat thepics are too large  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Apache, please feel free to join Colin and myself in the fuzzy blur photo club.  :)

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:07 PM »
Apache, please feel free to join Colin and myself in the fuzzy blur photo club.  :)

:rotfl: maybe I'll post in the gallery as a separate thread

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2016, 11:10:37 PM »

:rotfl: maybe I'll post in the gallery as a separate thread

It might prove easier to use (or create if you don't have one) an account with a hosting site such as photobucket or imgur.com. I have both and have been using imgur.com as the app is very easy to upload images with but it's not so easy to copy and paste links. I use the laptop to post links.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2016, 07:28:45 AM »
I use Picasa to 'store' all my photos and just past the url between the [ img ]url[ /img ] tags (without the spaces!).

Here's a neat trick, boys'n'girls. If the photo is too big for the screen (or your aesthetic yearning) the you can re-size it like:

[ img width=400 ]url[ /img ] and thet makes it 400pixels wide - a good width for the forum - and adjusts the height to suit.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2016, 10:33:40 AM »
ty colin but i still don't understand  :-\
I use Picasa to 'store' all my photos and just past the url between the [ img ]url[ /img ] tags (without the spaces!).

Here's a neat trick, boys'n'girls. If the photo is too big for the screen (or your aesthetic yearning) the you can re-size it like:

[ img width=400 ]url[ /img ] and thet makes it 400pixels wide - a good width for the forum - and adjusts the height to suit.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #177 on: June 16, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
Do you have off-site picture storage, or do you keep all your piccies on your computer?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »

Do you have off-site picture storage, or do you keep all your piccies on your computer?
i have them on my phone

Offline ColinB

« Reply #179 on: June 16, 2016, 11:40:44 AM »

i have them on my phone

Ah. I don't think that's going to work direct from your phone. Can you download/bluetooth them to a computer?

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Apache's Catfish Community thread."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 12:27:08 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 10:57:03 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
45 Replies
Last post November 18, 2017, 05:21:30 PM
by apache6467
13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 01:33:32 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 10:11:47 PM
by apache6467
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 09:17:13 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: