Some Questions

Author Topic: some questions  (Read 48641 times) 211 replies

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
some questions
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
well i got some wood for my tank just wanna know if its ok for the tank i think it is though, its been in a bucket for about 6 days now but i only poured hot water on it the first day i got it and left it in the water turning it over as a bit sticks out so i stick each end thats not been in water for a bit like a day or so, today i emptied the water out and put 2 kettle waters over it in the bucket now i stopped as i had to do something so i am not going to put more kettle boils over it so its filled up again,

when is it ok to put in my tank? also when i first got it there was what looked like something white which a spider must of wrapped up so i tried getting it out with a knife but i only ended up digging it into the wood to were i cant see it but as ya can see above its been in water now for ages,

also the wood seems to have some holes in it that go deep into the wood now i am worried incase any of the fish/plecs get stuck in it and cant get out but will it still be ok putting the wood in? i have taken some pictures of the wood i will post them below

can snails cause harm to the tank if they die? as i have loads of assassins now and i may crush some tiny ones when i clean my tank

i actually got some fish on sunday havent got fish in awhile due to money etc did ask for 5 harlequins to add to my current 4 but only got 2 and only was charged for 2 i didnt know this until i got home so obviously the person mis heard me ha,

i took a note of some fish if i could have in my tank so if anyone can answer them then that will be great

buenos alres tetra
barbs ( all kind i liked a few types ) i remember seeing that they nip but just wanna ask again
red eye tetra
black phantom
siamese flying fox
maccullochs rainbow fish
glow light danios
red eye tetra
golden wonder panchax ( if i remember correctly it said these cant be kept with small fish so is that the likes of neons etc ? )

what i have in my tank is
2 bn plecs
6 harlequins
4 shrimp ( but never see 4 out at a time but i did buy 4 )
about 12 glo light tetra
about 7 neons
about 6/7 rummie noses
4 bolivian rams

when i say about its because i dont always count them and its also hard to count because of the plants and because they dont just stay still

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
Re: some questions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
couldnt post 2 pics at a time so heres the other one mainly focusing on the holes in the wood

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
The usual advice is to soak wood until the worst of the brown colour has come out of it. What is the water like in the bucket after it's been soaking - how brown is it?
Wood can turn the tank water brown but the fish won't mind that. It is us humans who don't like a funny coloured tank. If you put your new wood in the tank and it does turn the water brown, water changes will slowly get rid of it, or you could put carbon in your filter. If the water goes very brown you would need to change the carbon every few days as carbon gets full quickly.
Some wood is worse than others though. I have a piece of wood that was sold as mangrove root. The woman in the shop said that kind didn't need soaking, and she was right. There's never been any brown from it.

The holes - are they big enough for your bristlenoses to get stuck in? If they are, you could try using silicone sealant (aquarium stuff, or DIY sealant that says it is safe for aquariums - if it doesn't say on the tube it is not safe). But you'd have to let the wood get completely dry first and wait 48 hours for the sealant to set before getting it wet again. Or plug it with a bit of filter wool, though that might look a bit funny.

Squashed baby assassins shouldn't cause much harm. I probably squash loads of those tiny flat snails when I move anything in my tank. If the shells get broken and any fish or other snails can get to them, they quite likely just get eaten.

Your tank is 160 litres isn't it? If I've remembered right you do have room for more fish.
If you choose barbs, get some that don't nip too much. Look at something like cherry barbs or 5 band barbs. A lot of barbs grow big and wouldn't look right with your tetras; some like coolish water, and some like tiger barbs would nip your other fish.
Red eye tetra - a bit bigger than your other tetras, and can be a bit nippy
Black phantoms - should be OK. Mainly nip fish with long fins like guppies
Flying fox - one of those should be OK, but shops often label these fish wrong. There are two or three fish that look almost the same and shops mix them up. Some of the others can be aggressive so you need to look up how to tell the difference.
Maccullochs rainbows - I'd never heard of those so I had to look them up. They sound like they should be OK - if you can find them. Have you seen any in shops? If you can't find any, these rainbowfish would go nicely instead.
Glowlight danios - fine, so long as you mean these and not glofish. Glofish are genetically modified and they aren't allowed in the country (though that won't stop some shops)
Golden wonder - nice as they are, I don't think I'd risk those with the fish already in the tank.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:34:38 PM »
like apple juice for a polite way to describe ha, the smaller bn plec could get down the hole maybe yes, looks like i am gonna have to buy another piece of wood if i dont buy the silicone, just all the messing around, the mcculloch rainbow fish i saw in the MA i go to, think i will leave the fish that nip altogether as they could nip my rams as they are the ones with the longest fins, i some apistos in MA too but dont want them because my rams have been settled on the bottom of the tank for ages now they still chase eachother and lip lock sometimes but i dont want apisto's to come in and unsettle them or the rams to unsettle the apisto's which is a shame as they have some nice yellow ones in MA, will look at the rainbow fish you suggested see if i like them, if they get rainbow fish how many can i get? is there a link for me to check how close i am to fully stocked tank or would you know already? will re measure my tank again tomorrow to be sure and right it down incase i need it for in the future,

how about gouramis aswell as another option? think i am going to MA the weekend

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
'Apple juice' isn't too bad, some wood makes the water like black tea. If you don't mine water like apple juice you can put it in when you want, if not soak it a bit more.

Apistogrammas - in most types the yellow ones are mature females, though stressed females are greyish and they are often stressed in shops. There are some species that have yellow males - cockatoo cichlids come in a gold form and it can be hard to tell the males from the females if the males are too young for their long fins to have grown yet. And there is a yellow form of agassizzi apistos as well. These are colours that have been made by selective breeding like all the fancy colours of guppies.

With the fish you have, gouramis would be OK. Honeys, dwarfs, pearls and 3-spots would fit, although pearls and 3-spots are bigger than the other two and would take up more of your stocking allowance. 3-spots have a few different colours - gold, opaline and the greyish one with spots down the side are the ones you are most likely to see. Honeys can be kept as a male/female pair or 1 male and 2 or 3 females. All the others should have 1 male and at least 2 females as the males can pester one female to death. And only one male in a tank unless there are a lot of plants. Dwarf gouramis often have dwarf gourami disease when you buy them, though it doesn't show straight away. Dwarfs quite often die after a couple of months.
I have honey gouramis so I'm biased  ;D.

Thinkfish does have a community creator like the old site but it is harder to find as there is no link at the top of the page. 
In the menu at the top of the page you'll see 'fish profiles'. Click on that and you'll get a page with a list of types of fish across the top. Hover over one type and click on any fish from the drop down menu. Right down at the bottom of the page, under the description of the fish, is the community creator. All you have to do is fill in your tank details in the boxes, then look for the fish you want and click 'add this fish to my tank'. To save your tank you have to register separately from the forum - and signing out of the community creator doesn't sign you out of the forum.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 03:55:54 AM »
so if its gouramis i get i guess its the honey ones i am getting lol hopefully they have them in if i choose to get them, so 1 male and 2 females is ok? or should i get 3 females? if i was to get 1 male and 2 females suppose not getting the extra female to make 3 could save me on an extra smaller fish i guess so i may just get 1 male 2 female, how can i get what the sexes are? will check on the internet tomorrow aswell for myself, i think i am going to HA tomorrow( later on in the day ) so will get the gouramis then if i choose them, i wanna get 2 more harlequins aswell so they add up to 8 but this isnt highly needed they can stay as shoal of 6, i guess rainbows and gouramis cant go together or i cant have both? so tomorrow i will decide what fish i want as its nearly 4am and i cant be bothered looking now, ye i dont like the sound of the dwarf ones just like the neon disease i dont think i will get more neons, the gouarmis you named were they the only ones there is or the only ones i can have ? just incase theres others in MA, mainly ones like honeys as the other ones will be bigger than the honeys,

so 1 male gourami/rainbow fish and 2 female gourami/rainbow fish and 2 harlequins be ok to get tomorrow? just to re mention i got 2 harlequins on sunday but adding another 2 harlequins isnt a must

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:11:26 AM »
i ended up seeing what fish i wanted and i like the look of the rainbow fish really, the ones you suggest look nicer, but do they have to be dwarf ones? and if they dont have to be dwarfs can it be any type of rainbow fish? or if it has to be dwarf can it be any type of dwarf? also is has to be 1 male and 2/3 females yes?

and this was one of the siamese flying fox i THINK that i saw in MA http://thinkfish.dancrack.com/fishimages/2103_siamese_flying_fox.jpg

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
Honey gouramis -
Come in 3 colours - red, yellow and the original colour (male goldy tan and females beige. These are the type in the pics in the fish profile on here). The red and yellow ones have been made by selectively breeding the original ones. I got my yellow ones from MA, and I've seen original coloured ones there too. The yellow ones at my MA - males tend to have a more orange tail than the females. And some females have a darker stripe from nose to tail down their sides. Choose the one with the brightest orange tail for a male, and ones with stripes for females. You can't be sure if the plain yellow ones without stripes are male or female. Original colour - in the shop tank the males can look drab. For a male look for yellow in the top fin and a bit of black in the bottom fin if they all look a bit dark gray rather than goldy tan. The females will be the pale ones with the stripe down the side. Red ones are more difficult, you have to go by the fin shape which isn't very reliable. Males tend to have longer pointier fins and females tend to have shorter rounded fins.

Honey gouramis are one of the few species that are OK with 1 male 1 female. I've had 1m 2f trios in the past and I've had problems with the females fighting each other. I would get either 1m 1f or 1m 3f.

I think the gouramis would be OK with dwarf rainbowfish. Most of the other rainbowfish you see in shops get quite big, at least 4 inches (10cm). That is quite big to mix with the samller fish you have, though as rainbowfish have narrow throats they should be able to eat your other fish. And they would take up a chink of your stocking allowance. It depends which you prefer, lots of small fish or a few big fish.

Siamese flying fox. There are a lot of fish that look the same. Their common names and latin names get all mixed up depending where you look. So I'm going to give you some links for the pics.

flying fox can be aggressive to other fish and doesn't eat as much algae as the others
siamese algae eater is not as aggressive but it is a shoaling fish so you'd need a group
another one that is not agressive but needs to be in a shoal

This website doesn't have a fish called the siamese flying fox. To be honest, every website is saying something different. I've got my self all mixed up looking at them all. I know some are aggressive and some aren't. Some are shoaling and some aren't. But they all seem to use different names for the same fish. It is so confusing, if I was looking at them I'd give up!!!!

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
thanks, i ended up getting 2 yellow honey gouramis they are small though as they as only young, in 1 tank there seemed to be a pair one with a faint black stripe going across the body of the gourami and another one without one but a bright orange tail but they all seem to have bright orange ones anyway they were in a tank with a dead fish well it was more or less dead it was swimming upside down and had its fins eat a bit i asked will it be ok still having the fish from there and the person said yes so i trusted them but once the 2 gouarmis were in the fish the both seemed to have the black stripe going across there body so i asked him to take one out and get another from the tank next to it, but now in the tank i cant seem them fully as they near near the bottom of the tank right at the back and it seems like it doesnt have the black stripe now ? i am gonna go back down now and check to see if they are out from behind and see if i can see the black stripe on one of them

i also saw a weird looking fish today looked like a seal lol it was a dog face puffer fish marine fish never saw one before

also over the road from MA theres a show called neptune and they had the rainbows you posted there but didnt know if i could get them with gouramis on the same day and wasnt sure how many i could get, if i get them in the future which i might do how many can i get and how many males and females please?

i also got some sealant for the holes in my bogwood so i just need to stick some small wood on top of the holes to cover them or what else would you suggest to cover them ? as the holes are quite deep so i cant fill them all up with sealant

thanks again

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »
With honey gouramis the stripe is darker when the fish is stressed. I have found that if a fish has a stripe in the shop but doesn't when it is in your tank it is still a female, just one that is happier. Not all females have stripes, but when choosing them in shops you can't be sure if those are males or females which is why I said to get one with a stripe as then you'd know for sure.

I'm not really sure about the rainbowfish, so I'd go for half males and half females. Get six to eight. Males have redder fins, females have yellower fins.

The bogwood hole - you don't neeed to completely seal the holes, just make the opening too small for your smallest fish to get suck in. If any holes are too big for anything to get stuck, leave them open.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »
thanks, i ended up getting some pebbles today the wood is drying so will use the sealant on the pebbles to cover the holes hopefully doesnt look stupid, my mum got back from france before and shes going to sefton meadows but i got 2 gouramis as you know few days ago and i got 2 harelquins last week aswell, so if i have enough money i may get the rainbows if that is allowed because i dont want my tank messing up, would 6 to 8 be enough room for the rainbows? they go to 6 cm its says, 8 would be too many wouldnt it? on this link you posted about the rainbows http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/dwarf-rainbowfish.html i take it the back 3 are males and the others are females ? the 3 at the back have read fins and the others seem to have the orange you said also,

i am due my water change on monday i was supposed to do it wednesday but wanted to start doing it every monday instead so will be doing it tomorrow if i do get the fish am i best to wait till the tuesday? as i dont want the fish getting stressed straight away while in the tank, do the gouramis always stay at the back of the tank? they have been mostly all over the back and at the side of the tank, and i can see a faint black on 1 now and then so i guess i have a male and female which is good to know,

thanks again

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 01:01:19 AM »
have some concerns

firstly i noticed my glo lights having white tips on all fins and the tail fin theres white on tips of it, and about 2 or so have not majorly rugged anal fins but they do looked a bit rugged and torn a small bit, so i am not sure if this is anything to worry about? i did try taking a picture but its hard taking pictures of the fish as they arnt still for long

secondly one of my neons has a white eye or silver eye why is this? on one side its normal black the other is what i just described i took a picture to show i will post below, i noticed one seemed to have a white dot on its eye my plec has it and most of the rummys do aswell what is this? or is it natural? i will google it in a sec

only just noticed you can add 6 attachments lol so i can keep everything in one topic anyway my next question is my plants, i have loads of roots growing and its blocking some ways for the fish to get past  is it ok to cut all the roots off to shorting them? mainly cut the whole of the roots off but will i keep my plants? will post pictures below, one picture will be one close up of one plant to give you an idea and i have a few of them so took a full view tank picture its the plants with the big leaves on

if the fin thing is a problem and i need meds will my shrimp die?

i guess getting fish tomorrow could be a certain no now i guess if the above does sound like disease

last question my gourami is laying at the bottom of the tank i can just about see it its not on its side or anything its just on the gravel i guess its just getting used to the tank still ? it is the female as you can see the black stripe faintly, the other gourami is understand one of the plants leaves away from the female

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 01:03:28 AM »
tank doesnt look the best my plants just seem thrown in which is right to be honest as i have to take everything out and put my new wood in and i wanna move things around and make it look it a bit better so will be doing this tomorrow after water change and mainly wanna take everything out so  i can right down the numbers of the fish i have so i always know for sure how many fish i have, as i am not sure how many glo lights and neons i have but  the rest i do know

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
also when i was going to do tank i noticed i sister had a bath waiting so i had my tea and got too late, i have used the sealant to cover the hole with a pebble is it ok for the wood to go in tomorrow? or leave it tomorrow and put it in on wednesday?

also with me not doing the water change today, i want to take all plants and decor out and put my new wood in and make the tank nicer by putting in the plants etc a different way so instead of doing my water change tomorrow now would i be best doing the water change when i take plants and decor out of the tank and put the new wood in and just do it all in one day? or wont it stress the fish if i do the water change tomorrow then the next day take everything out and put everything back in with new wood?

thanks again

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Hi George, busy busy day yesterday (didn't even get time to turn my laptop on) so your questions are mounting up!

The wood - you have to wait 48 hours for the silicone to cure before it is safe to put it in the tank. So if you did it Monday don't put it in the tank till at least the same time of day Wednesday.

Water change - do it before getting new fish. As you said, better not to stress new fish by doing a water change just after you get them. But it is better (in my tanks anyway) to do a water change when rearranging as even with sand I do get some muck off the bottom into the water. One thing you could do is a plain water change before getting the fish and leave the rearrange till next week when the fish will have settled in a bit.

Rainbow fish - Seriously Fish reckons a tank at least 60cm wide x 30cm front to back and min 55 litres, so they should be OK in your tank. If you are worried about using too much stocking allowance, get six. And yes, in that photo the red finned ones at the front would be males and the yellow finned ones at the back are females. But remember that in shop tanks the fish are not very happy so they are not as colourful as the photos, or as colourful as they'll be when they have settled in your tank.
I've looked at your tank in the community creator. I've put that it is 160 litres and has an external filter, and thfish are 2 bristlenoses, 8 harlequins, 12 glowlights, 7 neons, 7 rummies, 4 bolivian rams, 2 honey gouramis. Have I got those right? Then I added 6 rainbowfish. All that lot come to the tank being three quarters full. I left out the shrimp because they make hardly any extra.
I don't like going right up to totally stocked with the CC, I like to stop before it's that full, so I wouldn't get many more fish than that.

BUT........

You say some of your tetras have white on the ends of their tails and others have ragged tails. Don't get new fish till that's sorted out. It could be that they've been nipping each other, tetras decide which one is top fish by fighting and nipping. Scars in fins look light white spots inside the fin. Whitespot looks on top of the fin not inside, that's the way to tell which it is. But finrot can also have white edges where the damage is (or red or black edges).
For a day or two, watch the fish. See if the ragginess gets worse or starts to get better. If it gets worse, it's finrot. One way to treat finrot is lots of extra water changes to make sure the tank water is sparkly clean. If that still doesn't help, the best med I've found is eSHa 2000, though not many shops stock eSHa meds.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
Thanks the glo lights have always had white on there fins is that not natural ? But one as stand out white fins also I noticed on 2 neons the tiny small fin near the back of its body is white too and I don't think it's natural for them to have any white fins or white tipped fins is it ? I am actually on my way to maidenhead aquatics now with my mum and that but I won't get any fish

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »
Some fish do have whitish tips to their fins, it is most common in males. And my green neons do have white in the tiny fin on their backs (it's called an adipose fin, not all fish have them). it worried me at first but they didn't die or get sick so I've realised it's just the way they are.

But you also said some fish ad ragged tails. Those are the ones to watch and see if it gets better or worse. When my male honey gourami want to breed, he chases the female and nips the end of her tail. That gets to look quite ragged but grows back in a few days. See if your fish regrow the tails before getting more fish.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 11:51:28 PM »
thanks only just logged on, the anal fins seem the same they dont seem to have got worse, would it not be ick or  finrot no? the gouarmis seem to be going all over the tank now i guess they are getting settled more in tank, shall i move around the stuff in my tank sunday do ya think and put the wood in? its been out and just on the table shall i pour hot water over it just incase anything is on it thats been in the kitchen to be safe? also the pebble didnt stay solid on wood so gave up on that i will just get another thin pebble or slate if i can and stick it in the hole like i did with the other one but saying that i am thinkikng of putting sealant at the sides of the pebble just to be extra strong so it doesnt go inside wood or move etc

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
If the tails are the same it's not finrot - they would have got a lot worse if it was. It's probably they've been chasing each other. Doing a couple more water changes than usual will help keep the water nice and clean. It's like with us, if we get a cut on our hands it usually heals up by itself. But if you go messing digging the garden or something, the cut can get infected. That's the only risk with nipped fins, an infection could get in if the water isn't kept clean.

I'd give the wood another soak. Yes, silicone doesn't stick to some things but I've never tried it on wood so I didn't know if it would or not. If you can push a thin pebble good and hard into the hole that would make it too small for a fish to get into.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
thanks ye i just need one more pebble to go in the hole gonna see if i can go down to a local petshop and get one now, if i can is it ok to take everything out the tank and change things around putting the wood in tomorrow ?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "some questions "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: