Some Questions

Author Topic: some questions  (Read 48637 times) 211 replies

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
Re: some questions
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
looks exactly like that, ( the white on mouths )

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
Some of mine also look a bit white on the tip of the lips - I got mine 9 days ago. I'm not intending to treat them unless I know for sure it's mouth rot. Adding too many meds is not good for the overall health of the fish, one reason I don't use that general tonic.

The photos - are they your fish? The dwarf rainbow in the first pic looks more as though it has caught its mouth on something and pulled a scale loose. I wouldn't treat that fish unless it got much worse. The boseman rainbow in the second pic looks very sorry for itself. It has body fungus as well as on the mouth. That fish does need treating but for the white on its body not its mouth, though it's hard to tell from the pic wehther it is infected with fungus or columnaris.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
hi sue only just come online, not the fish are taken from google images but the fish mouths on them pics i was pointing out as similar to mine, even my mums fella said it has the same thing on its mouth like you described it as something caught but looks like a little spot on its mouth

i hope it is nothing shall i just wait and see and keep looking at them? also one of my dwarfs have been half eatne and i dont know why because they all shoaled together never showed signs of anything wrong with it swimming wise etc they all look active yet when i did my water change it noticed it was all white and half eaten and i doubt it just get attacked for the sake of it so this is a bit worrying, some of my glo lights have worn down fins the ones on top of the back but i took it as this could be play fighting or whatever as you say fish do have fish fights etc

so am i best just keeping a look on the fish then or what do you think i should do? also if i missed your answer about the water dechlor sorry but the one you mentioned and the tetra safe one doesnt it get rid of ammonia? just incase my tap water does have it or if its in my tank water from fish food waste or fish waste then the one you have API or the other one i posted about tetra safe wont get rid of it will it ? but maybe its ok seeing as you dont use one to get rid of ammonia i shouldnt need to then i guess?

thanks again sue and if you tell me i cant get certain fish then i wont i always listen lol, them fish were off google images and i remember you saying i could only have dwarf rainbows  :D, my tank wouldnt be how it was if it wasnt for you MAINLY but also the others that help me too thanks

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »
i have a 405 fluval external i have i think it has 4 pockets 2 have media in it and the others are filled with sponges, i havent changed the media or sponges since day one i just squeeze and clean them with tank water when i am cleaning the filter, am i best replacing everything brand new? especially the sponges shall i take them out and fill it up with the wool your suggest instead?

if i was to do this will my tank spike or anything?

Offline Sue

« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »
Don't change your sponges unless they are falling apart. A layer of filter wool should fit on top of the media in the top basket, it is only a few mm thick.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? If there is none in it you don't need a dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia, though most brands do contain a detoxifier. Any ammonia made from decaying food or fish waste will be made slowly and continually so the filter should cope with it. But you shouldn't really have any uneaten food, you should only be feeding just what the fish can eat  ;)

I don't know what to suggest about the fish that's half eaten. It could have been sickly when you got it and healthy fish will pick at a sick one. In the wild, predators are attracted by sick fish as they are easier to catch. The other fish don't want a predator hanging round so they kill the sick one themselves before a predator notices it.
If that fish is in a bad way, you might want to think about putting it down.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »
the fish was dead just half eaten, my mum just shouted me and said theirs a dead harelquin here and so i took it out looked at it had no marks on it and wasnt eaten it just had a split in its tail fin, i also can notice very well that 1 of the other harlequins as a big chunk bite on its tail fin too, swimming fine though, just wondering what is biting who

not tested water for ammonia yet will do though

Offline Sue

« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »
Can you write down all the kinds of fish you have then we can look for the most likely biting suspect.

Though the rainbow, all fish will eat dead fish so the damage could have been done after it died.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »
bn plecs
harelquins
rummie noses
dwarf rainbow fish
honey gouramis
bolivian rams
siamese algea eater
glo lights

Offline Sue

« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
None of those are known biters. Maybe they are just squabbling amongst themselves. Just keep an close eye on them see if any more damage happens.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
ok thanks sue

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
from that recent incident the whole of the harlequins tail fin has gone but its still swimming fine, one of the others is getting a white line across the middle of its tail fin and the tip of the fin on the back is white, just dont know if this is a disease or not its the same as the rummies and glo lights

Offline Sue

« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
I think I'd be inclined to treat for finrot now. If you can get them, either Waterlife's myxazin or eSHa 2000 are best. If you can't get them, whatever finrot med you can get is better than doing nothing.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "some questions "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: