Some Questions

Author Topic: some questions  (Read 48712 times) 211 replies

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
Re: some questions
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
just looking at the fish before, neons, rummies, glo lights a few of them all seem to have white on the adipose fin the very small one before the tails on the top of its back but not all have it, even some some of the fish that have white on all fins like glo lights for example some of them have nothing wrong with the fins they seem fine but have the white on all fins even one of the glo lights the white is very bright like stands out,

the rummies are shoaling at the back of the fin and because of their white shiney skin its like they have a white outline all down there back but when they come close ya cant see it so its just their skin,

the harlequins have no white or anything they all seem fine,

the neons one has a lump which is the same colour red on the back end of its body just before the start of the caudal fin/ tail fin this one has always looked like its had something wrong as its right gill is weird its like its grown into the body or its just a short gill because you can see its flesh by the gill i am crap at explaining things sorry, this also doesnt have a complete black eye its like silver or white faintly i can tell this as the other eye is complete black, but this isnt the one i mentioned a few days ago with having a 1 white eye what could this problem be? i feel like i wanna take all neons out the tank and put the down as i dont like to have fish who have there own name disease but still think its cruel but dont want them ruining all of the tank but shall i just keep them in the tank until they just natural die or die with disease :/ ?

i dont even think saying the fish have ragged tails is right as that could come across as if theres loads of slits in the fins and its not like that its only the anal fins on some of the fish that have a piece missing and as you said this could be nipping, only thing is with the rummies as i never really see them nipping, to be honest i only ever see my tank when i am going the toilet or getting a drink etc, i dont sit downstairs much but now and then i do look at it even that sounds like i am not interested in the tank lol but as i said its hard to explain or to get your point across on the internet,

i will take a video clip later if its good quality to see if i can get the fish in as its too hard to take pictures,  i also have ocd etc so obviously i think most things are a problem etc which is annoying

edit i will take the video clip when its dark as the quality may be better and this is the link i got all the fin names from http://www.thedivingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/fish_fins.jpg

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
My green neons have white adipose fins, I was worried when I first saw it but they've been fine. With neon tetra disease I think only neons can catch it. The time to put them down is if one of them shows the symptoms, put down that one fish. Look for the fish losing colour, problems swimming, lumps on the body and if it really gets hold bent spines.
Slits in the tails and other fins sounds like damage rather than infection. Bits missing - if the edges are rounded and smooth, that is more like a bit. Uneven edges is finrot.

Yes you can rearrange your tank tomorrow.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 02:36:12 AM »
thanks any pics of your tank? so put the fish down with the lump on ? 

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »
With neons, it's usually better to be safe than sorry. I was talking with the manager of a shop once and he puts down every neon that looks iffy to protect the rest of the tank.

As for my tanks, look here and also my bettas over the years. My betta does have a new tank though, a very slightly bigger one, but I haven't taken any photos yet. And I haven't got any photos of the 50 litre, just the fish in it.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »
unsure about putting this wood in after all, after being in soak this white stuff is on/inside the wood, yet more money gone to waste it looks like so i need to find another piece now grrrrr

shall i put the other neon down aswell that has something up with its eye?

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
i have 2 of them snails you have, also them endlers look nice, are they live bearers like guppies? do they get infected easy? nice pics

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
The white looks like a bit of mould which is quite common on wood. I would soak it a bit then when it's good and wet scrub it and see if it comes off. It should be OK to use in the tank even with the white.

If you have another neon that is looking iffy, I would put that one down too. NTD will spread to the rest of the neons if an infected fish is left in the tank.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »
when i first got the wood there was a white ball inside one of the cracks looked like what a spider wrapped up, i tried getting it out only to push it inside the hole, so was worried incase it was something dodgey so didnt wanna put it in my tank and guess what i did today went and bought 2 more pieces of wood lol now i read this to find it may actually be ok to put it in the tank, oh well i guess more wood may make the tank look good i hope or i just keep one for whenever i need it in future i dunno, the 2 new pieces are in soak now, so will do what you say with the other one tomorrow now

on the new pieces of wood i got today even though its in soak you can still see pale patches on it, as in its not all very dark when wet which i thought would happen? why is that? only reason i worry is because this place i got the wood from is not a tidy place the fish in there are poor quality and i will never buy from there they should never be able to sell fish but just sell pet toys food etc

also i have not too the neons out yet as i have been out all day so will do tomorrow hopefully its not too late

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
Just pour boiling water over the wood a few times while it is soaking. that should kill anything iffy. But don't put it in a pan and boil it as that damages the fibres in the wood and it'll fall apart a lot quicker. I have bits of wood with different shades in. One piece has a reddish patch while the rest of it is brown.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 04:53:11 PM »
Thanks just put one neon down 2 others have one white dot on them one has it on his body the other has it on its tails and when the one with the white dot in its body comes toward you ya can see it so could it be ick or white spot ? Thing is I need to get ready to go out so have no time getting the fish out I am afraid I will put all neons down as I won't risk my tank getting ruined but won't be able to do this until tonight after I come back in just hope it doesn't go to the other fish

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
i ended up having enough time yesterday before i got picked up by my mate and put all neons down, poured out the water from both buckets that my 2 pieces of wood were in and filled up with hot water again and the water doesnt seem that tanned as much as the first when would be the right time to put the wood in ? also there seems to be some white lines on it not sure what it would be? maybe mould ? shall i just try rubbing it off? also when the wood is in the water you can see white on the wood in some gaps maybe that is mould too so i will just have to try rub it off?

thanks again i need to ask questions which may seem obvious or stupid but would rather ask just to be sure

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
A toothbrush is useful for things like this. You can use an old one if you have any if you scrub while still soaking. It's things in the tank you need a new brush for, or you'll get bits if old toothpaste in the water. But as you are soaking it'll come out in the soak water.

[I got into the habit of saving old toothbrushes when my children were young. One of them would step in every bit of dog dirt on the path. Disinfectant and an old toothbrush were great for cleaning his shoes. I still save them you never know when they'll come in handy]

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
Thanks so can the wood go in any time now ? I don't have a toothbrush what else could I use ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »
Do you have any sort of scrubbing brush, wire brush, something like that? Anything you could use to scour the wood into the crevices?

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »
i can look if not i will have to buy a cheap tooth brush, will it matter if i cant get it all off? or cant get into the cracks to get it off?

also 1 of my rams has white marks on its both front fins, its the one that seems to be getting chased by the others lately, 2 are most of the time together looking to lay eggs while the other on the other side chases it too so it has to go in the middle of the tank at the back, and looks dark grey and orange underneath

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »
I use a cheap toothbrush for cleaning things in the tank. It should be OK if there is still a bit of white stuff deep in the crevices.

Do the white marks look inside the fins or on the surface? If the fins have been damaged, eg being bitten by another fish, that will show as white marks inside the fin. These usually clear up.
Looking dark is what bolivian rams do when they are stressed.
Do you know what sex they all are? Presumably the 2 that are together all the time are a male and female, but what about the one getting picked on and the one at the other side of the tank? Even if those two are a male and female it doesn't mean they'd get on. Bolivians can be very picky about mates, some males and females just don't like each other. If it carries on, you would need to rehome the one getting picked on.  Maybe even the other single one too as the pair may pick on that one if the middle one has gone. I know my tank is smaller than yours (less room for more than one territory) but I had problems with four bolivians and had to rehome a male and female, keeping just the one mated pair. The males attacked each other as soon as I put the females in the tank, then once two had paired up they both attacked the other female.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
no i am not sure what the other 2 sex they are i will look up on the net again to find out how to tell between male and female,

looks like i will have to take the 2 singles ones to MA and get a credit note or swap them for apisto or cockatoo or whatever its called which would be the best ones to get? and i guess one female 1 male? suppose i will have to look up about how to tell whats male and female with them too or i can just keep the rams and get other fish i dont know,

the rams even nip or give warning nips to the gouramis when they get close to the rams and i dont know why that is? they seem aggressive fish, if i was to get the similar size fish as the rams ( apistos, cockatoo ) would the rams still warn them away or chase them away? or would the other fish chase the rams away ? if either one will its prob best to just keep the one pair of rams in my tank and but nothing similar to them in the tank,

you can never seem to enjoy fish keeping much theres always a problem even the rummies have started to get white dots on their dorsal fins now so this is obviously now a disease in the tank but what disease can it be? ick, white spot or fin rot?

the marks on the rams pectoral fins are in the middle of the fins and at the moment its not a bright white colour it may just be scars but with it being in the middle of the fins how can it be a bite mark/scar ?

i hope i have not caused anything as i bite my dry skin on my fingers and sometimes have red marks afterwards so hopefully its not be thats caused the problems with the fins

just to make it more understandable about the rams 2 are together 1 shakes at the other so they wanna lay eggs so i guess these will be the pair for good now yes? so for example the pair are on the left hand side one of the single rams is on the right side and the one that doesnt seem to be liked by any of the others has the middle but at the back, if the darkish ram gets close to the pair on the left or the single on the right either pair of single ram will confront the darkish ram or sometimes mainly 1 of the pair dart at the darkish ram, but these have been in the tank for a long time now possibly a year i dont know and they have all been along the front together a good few times in the past so why would it suddenly change? and i guess the pair right now are the same pair that have laid eggs twice before and like i said they seem to be wanting to lay eggs but they have been looking to lay eggs for a few weeks now i think and nothing has happened yet,

if the problem isnt the wood its the fish if its not the fish its something else can never just fully enjoy your tank , i do everything right i do nothing wrong so not sure why there is problems oh well i dunno, what ever you think could be the cause for the fish fins to be white and now other fins on the fish have white dots could you suggest a medicine another problem what about the shrimp ? they die if you put meds in dont they?

thanks again

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »
looking up about the white tips on my fish, firstly the glow lights this person said this

I did some research of my own as I was not yet convinced it is fin rot.  I just feed them live worm which could explain this that I found on a fish directory site. "Glowlight tetra - Hemigrammus erythrozonus: This gorgeous looking fish is a very pale, almost transparent, lemon colour with the internal organs clearly visible as a bright silver. A glowing gold/red line runs fron the eye to the tail and there is a red mark at the base of the dorsal and tail fins. When the fish are in peak condition, the tips of the fins develope a small white patch."  If the fin starts to rip then I will be medicating.

someone then said this and posted pictures  If you Google image "Glowlight Tetra", you will find that's it's normal for them to have white/silver tipped fins And it's also normal for some to not

some pictures i found on google the white on the fins look like what the ones mine have, and the tiny white fin at the top of its back before the start of the tail they all seem to have that on the pics just like mine, but the white dots obviously doesnt mean something and with my rummies anal fins a little ragged on the corner of the anal fins could mean its something too, saying that the glo lights fins ( some ) have a ragged anal fin on the corner, could it be a bacterial infection maybe?

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
if there is another forum you could suggest i use mainly a uk one or one with alot of uk people on i could ask for help on there aswell just incase i may ask too many questions or post alot of problems/concerns

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
so the female has longer fins that the male, and the female has a bigger mouth and the female has a chin but the male doesnt, thats what i just read so will go and check now

so the female is on the left and the male is on the right

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "some questions "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: