Re: some questions
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2014, 10:43:07 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

[/quote]

To make up for my raspberry......

[/quote]

Is that a self portrait ???

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
Lovely fish, George. the tank is looking good too :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »
Thanks both

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »
may be going to MA tomorrow sue, i will get my owed dwarf rainbow will it be ok to get another 6 plus my owed fish which will be 7 and a siamese fighter and is my tank fully stocked then?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »
More rainbows yes, siamese fighter no. You have some gouramis in the tank, don't you? It is not a good idea to have a fighter in the same tank as any type of gourami. They are closely related and it usually ends up with them fighting.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
More rainbows yes, siamese fighter no. You have some gouramis in the tank, don't you? It is not a good idea to have a fighter in the same tank as any type of gourami. They are closely related and it usually ends up with them fighting.

ok thanks again sue as always, just wondering what other fish i can get to complete my tank? do like glolight danio tetra but just wondering what other bigger fish i could get but nothing like rams as i dont want them fighting with others for territory

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
can i have any shark?
siamese flying fox maybe?
black ghost knife fish?
crabs?
any barbs that dont nip?

just looked at some others on the site,

congo tetra?
Colombian Red Fin?
Bleeding Heart Tetra?

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »
added more options in above post

Offline Sue

« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Crabs - no. A lot are marine (sea water), a lot like some land to crawl onto. And the general rule is fins + claws = bad. A lot of large crustaceans such as crabs, crayfish and big shrimps will catch fish, or attempt to resulting in damaged fish.
Black ghosts need big tanks, at least 300 litres. They can grow to 20 inches (50cm)
Flying fox - there are 2 similar fish, the flying fox and the false flying fox (aka siamese algae eater NOT chinese algae eater). The FF can be aggressive but the SAE is fine. Both these fish have a stripe down their body. In the SAE the edges are zigzagy and the FF is smooth. Check what they look like in the shop because shops often label things wrong.
Barbs - cherry barbs, 5 band barbs (though the 5 bands are black and orange like your harlies)
Congo tetras need a 4 foot tank
Columbian and bleeding heart tetras should be OK, will fit in your tank and supposed to be peaceful.

Emperor tetra? Seriously fish reckons it is one of the best tetras for a community tank.

I am having the same problem, choosing fish to go in my new tank now that I have spare space. I have some very tiny fish that only grow to inch and most centrepiece fish would swallow them whole  :(

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
thanks sue, is there any pictures of the 2 types of flying foxes so i know for sure which one to get ? and so i know what you mean by zigzagy? going to MA today so might just pick up more rainbow fish and a fox if i can then have a look at the barbs you suggested and the bleeding heart and columbian tetras to see which ones i will get in the future obviously i cant have them all i just need to pick 1 out of the 3 types of  fish you say are fine ha

i had emperors awhile back and took them back as soon as i put them in fish were bit and one emperor was half eaten too so i had probs as soon as i put them in

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »
when you say about the flying fox and false one do you mean where the black line goes to the start of the tail fin is just smooth thats the false fox? and where the black line carrys on past the tip of the tail is the real fox?

Offline Sue

« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
This is the flying fox

The siamese algae eater is a bit more tricky as there are several fish that are sold under this name. Seriously fish reckons this is the one you are most likely to find in a shop.
Both those links have pictures.
If you look closely, the black stripe on the flying fox has edges that are almost straight; the stripe goes into the tail fin; the other fins have black in them. This is the one that can be aggressive.
The one they call the siamese algae eater - the edges of the black stripe look like the edge of a saw blade; the stripe goes into the tail fin; the other fins are see though with no black. This is the one that is more peaceful.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »
On my phone near am havin somethin to eat so the top one is the peaceful one ? Where the black line carrys in into the tail and the false fox it just stops completely at the start of the tail find ? Could I have a shark of any kind at all ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
On seriously fish, the black line goes into the tail with both. The difference is that the aggressive one has black on all its fins and the peaceful one only has the black stripe in its tail fin, there is no black in any other fin.
Black fins = aggressive, no black in fins = peaceful

Sharks like bala sharks, no they get way too big.
Rainbow shark - black body, all fins red, also albino version which is white body with all red fins - needs a tank 120cm long and can be aggressive
Red tailed black shark - black body and only the tail is red, other fins black - again 120cm long tank, this is more aggressive than the last one.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52:27 PM »
Ok thanks sue just put fish in tank after climatising them the woman said its a sae and my tank lights are off for an hour or two which says on the bag not to turn them on until a certain time after puttin new fish in so will look again then

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2014, 05:52:31 PM »
fish has no black on its bottom fins

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »
is it ok to have 1 SAE or ok to have 2? just wondering

Offline Sue

« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2014, 06:57:23 PM »
They are actually shoaling fish but can be kept in pairs. Wait a few days though as some fish lose their colour when stressed like when being bought, and you need to make sure it doesn't suddenly get black on its fins. If it gets black on any of its fins, except for the body stripe going into the tail fin, keep it alone.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
thanks again sue, when are you getting rainbows?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "some questions "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: