Some Questions

Author Topic: some questions  (Read 48647 times) 211 replies

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
Re: some questions
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
If so how many can I get ? And say I can get about 4 rainbow can I get another shoal of somethin else too ? Somethin similar to rummies  etc

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
I've lost track of what you have in there  :-[

Have you put your tank and fish in the Community Creator? How much stocking does it say you have?
If you want me to enter it all, can you give me a list of your fish (types and numbers) the volume of your tank and the length.

Rainbowfish should be 6+. You may or may not be able to get any other fish as well as them, it depends on what the CC says.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2014, 04:00:49 PM »
Am out havin food near am sorry just phoned sister to message tank it's 39 inches length 17 inches from glass to gravel and 17 width is 17 inches too I have 2 bn plecs 2 rams 8 rummies 5 harlequins 10-12 glo lights 2 honey gouramis 4 shrimp and also have snails thanks , is it ok to have one Siamese fighter also what about 2 red line torpedo barbs ? These are just suggestions first also so the rainbows need to be dwarf or just normal ? Thanks

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Might just get the 6 dwarf rainbows think you said it was ok last time

Offline Sue

« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
The fish you have gives your stocking level at 42%.

Red line torpedo barbs aka denisons barbs - I think they might need a bigger tank. Unfortunately, I can't access  Seriously Fish as there seems to be a problem with the site. I'll check again later tonight see if they're back.

If you got 6 dwarf rainbowfish, that would push you up to 52%. But remember that most of us stop at 75 to 80%, we don't stock right up to 100% as the CC is a bit on the over generous side.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »
Thanks sue I asked for 6 dwarf rainbow fish but got 5 so they owe me a dish sighhhh

Offline Resa

« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2014, 06:51:04 PM »
How exciting, George...new fishies  :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:
When they are settled in, post some pics, please. Dwarf rainbows were on my original fish list, but I wandered from my shopping list ::). However, I plan to get them for my future tank...which hopefully, will be soon.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
the fish look really nice, 2 arnt as colourful as the others but it said on the info card in MA that the colour improves with age so i guess they are younger than the other colourful ones and they also seem smaller, but as always i cant enjoy my tank i just noticed on one of the rummie fins theres a white dot on it and a small rip this wasnt there last time i posted about the rummies, but like i said in the past the fins seem like frosted on them they arnt all see through, so can this be fin rot ? or white spot? i will get meds asap and as soon as i know which one to get, also i have black sponge in my pockets in my fluval 405 and when i was in MA yesterday there was black carbon sponge so now am i am wondering if the black sponge in my pockets of the filter could be carbon and all the meds i have used in the past has never even worked !!! unbelievable..... but i know i have a bag of carbon in my tank which i put in about a month or 2 ago after i stopped treatment,

to be sure i am gona have to take the black sponges out and get blue or any colour NON carbon so i know for sure i dont have anything carbon in my tank when doing treatment, but can this spike my tank if i take the MAYBE black carbon sponges and put in fresh new NON carbon sponges to fill my pockets in my filter?

you should get them resa they are really nice i havent stopped saying to my mum etc how nice they are the shop owes me one anyway for paying for 6 but only getting 5 but if i can i will get more i will wait and see first what the CC/sue says when the time comes and yes i will post some pics either in a minute or tomorrow maybe tomorrow though

Offline ColinB

« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »
Black sponges aren't necessarily carbon sponges - carbon is usually in little pellets, and I've just been reading up about the Fluval 405 and it does say the carbon media included with the pump are carbon pellets, not a carbon sponge. The black of the sponge can be 'code' for the size of the pores, and blue sponge has different sized pores. The piccies and the pore size that I wanted to post are on the Seriously Fish web-site, which seems to be down at the moment. So, if I were you, I'd leave the black sponge in, take any carbon pellets out and just keep an eye on your fish. What you don't want to do is medicate un-necessarily as this will cause them more stress and make them more susceptable to any illness.

There's always something about a fish that 'could be' wrong but, just like humans, they're all different.
Monitor your water conditions and do your weekly partial water changes, and let your tank and the inhabitants mature into their own rhythm.

Patience you must!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »
Like Colin says, some black sponges don't have carbon, but others do. The built in filter that comes in Juwel tanks does have carbon in the black sponge, but the back sponge that came with the Elite Mini filter doesn't have carbon. I've had both filters, the instructions with the Juwel one said the back sponge had carbon, and I emailed Hagen about the Elite sponge - they said it was just a plain sponge.
What did the packet that the black sponge was in say?

One white spot on one fish doesn't mean the tank has whitespot. Lots of spots on several fish does.
The split fin - does it look like someone has snipped it with a pair of scissors or is it raggedy edged? Splits often occur if a couple of fish have had a scrap. With shoaling fish, scraps are common as this is the way they decide which is the boss fish of the group. If it is just a split with nice straight edges running from the edge of the fin towards the body, it is more likely to be injury not disease.

Dwarf rainbowfish are on my list to get too. In the shop, fish are often not very colourful. They are young and stressed. Once they've been in your tank a couple of weeks they relax and get more colour, and they grow up too.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
thanks all, the sponges i have had for years so not sure what it said on the packets, it could quite well not be carbon but because its been so long and i was newer to the fish keeping back then i may not of known what carbon was etc

the rummie's fin isnt a straight cut slit kind of mark its a bit thicker than just a slit which seems rugged a bit i think

to fully stock my tank whenever this is because i have to start saving a bit of money for something else i am owed 1 dwarf rainbow fish, but was thinking of getting more if i can to make them all a big shoal ( currently have 5 ) how many more could i get to fully stock my tank, the only others i wanted were the glolight danios but didnt see any there the other day, i dont need any plecs as i already have 2 bn's i have shrimp and snails so dont need more of them either

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »
will post a pic of the fish tonight when its more darker as thats when its best to take pictures i think

Offline Sue

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
If the sponge has been in the filter for a long time, even if it does have carbon in it, that'll be full up by now. There is a slight change that any med you put in the tank could push off whatever is on any carbon now and stick in its place, but it is a small chance. If you need to medicate, leave the black sponge in the filter.

Offline Sue

« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »
Aha! Seriously fish is back on-line. I said I'd check about the red line torpedo barbs.

I thought they were a bit too big/too active for your tank - SF reckons they need a minimum length tank of 120cm (47 inches)

About the rainbowfish, it says at least 6 to 8 of them.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
Seriously Fishy is indeed back up and running..... so as not-quite-promised.....

...here's a picture of blue filter sponge (30ppi. Pores per inch):

...and here's a picture of black filter sponge (40ppi):

I can't imagine how glad everybody is that I posted these pictures...... you can all sleep soundly tonight now!  ::)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2014, 01:23:03 AM »
Nice sponges, Colin.....perhaps we should call you Bob from now on?? :-\

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »
Aaaah, the beauty of using your own photos, they don't disappear when seriously fish goes off-line again  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »
Nice sponges, Colin.....perhaps we should call you Bob from now on?? :-\

To make up for my raspberry......

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »
thanks, just about to get a shower, so will take a few pics of the fish now before i get in and post them when i get out, any ideas on me filling my stock fully sue? like how many more rainbows could i get or how many more types or fish can i get ? thanks

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »
ended up taking them before shower

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "some questions "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: