Some Questions

Author Topic: some questions  (Read 48665 times) 211 replies

Offline New fish

• Fishy Member
Re: some questions
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:43 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As has been said, its a cycle that has to be completed. Its not an instant fix.

Keep using the meds and do the water changes as required and hover your tank.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »
The bug was probably on the fish just before you started the protozin. The way the bug affects the fish is a 'baby' one is free swimming, it finds a fish and burrows into its skin then makes a coating round itself. It is only visible once the coating gets quite big. It is usually attached to fish for a couple of days at least before they become big enough to see. The ones on the fish now can't be killed by the med because the coating protects it. You have to wait till the spots have fallen off and the bug has finished multiplying within its coating on the tank floor. That takes a few days as well. Then when the coating splits and 'baby' bugs come out, the med will do its work.
Since you have spots on the fish now, I would add an extra dose. The day 6 dose is Friday, add another dose on day 9 (Monday next week). Maybe do a water change and gravel clean just before you add the dose on Monday.

Just a thought - have you turned your heater up a bit? The bug goes through from the spots on the fish to the free swimming baby stage a bit faster if you get the water a few degrees higher. Only to 28 or 29 deg, nothing too high.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2013, 12:56:34 AM »
i always had it set at the very lowest ( 70 something ) basically turnt off as it didnt need to be on, but with it getting told i have turnt it up to about 78 or something i think, but that never gives the exact temperature to what its set as, there still seems to be dots on some rummies and one still has the most faded tail ( the black is not fully black ) and it stops and it acts like its being electrocuted is the best way to explain it, so maybe this is because its trying to get the bug off or something i dunno? friday was the last day not put any in today ( saturday ) is it ok to start another weeks med ? but if so what about water change its gonna be 2 weeks i havent done one come tuesday

went to my auntys thursday as her son passed 2 weeks ago and he was home in the coffin it was the last night he would be there so was down there with all family and slept in living room on seperate couches with cousin by coffin and had funeral next day so this is the only time i have logged on

thanks again

Offline Sue

« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about the death of your aunty's son. It's always a difficult time for everyone in the family.

Heaters are well known for not making the water the same temp as the number on the dial. That's why it is safer to use a thermometer to set the dial to whatever number it needs to be to get the right temp on the thermometer.
Fridyt was the 6th day of the course wasn't it? Do a water change today (Sunday) or Monday whichever is best for yuo then start another course on Monday. You will add the med on day 1 (mon) day 2 (tues) day 3 (wed) and day 6 (sat)

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
thanks sue, did try and message the day after but i still wasnt able to message but only just logged on now, been treating tank with meds started on tuesday after water change so, tue wed thurs i treated tank now i am gonna put in todays ( sun ) in a sec, so seeing as this is the last day do you think the white spot will be dead ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »
It should be. You've done 2 courses of treatment, when I've had whitespot in the past that has ususally done it. Do your next water change when it is time and look at the fish every day for a couple of weeks just to be on the safe side.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
ok thanks :)

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »
When does the carbon need to go in and how does it go in because in my fluval 405 I have white cylinders in 2 pockets which is media isn't it ? And in the other pockets I have sponges there won't be enough room to put the carbon bags in with the other stuff and I bought 2 bags so will I need one or 2  bags in ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
The carbon goes in a couple of days after the last dose of med.

Where to put it though.....
Yes the cyclinders are biological media, they'll have lots of bacteria on them.
Is there no way you could squeeze a bag in? Do you have any spare filters or does anyone you know have a spare one you could borrow for a few days? Even a small internal would be fine, just fill it with a bag of carbon.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
i can try and squeeze one in, will try tomorrow, was looking at the fish today and one of the rams pectoral fins have a white dot on it, now i think this could be the same ram if not the one i took back to MA had a white dot on the pectoral fin but not sure, if its a white dot its got to be a parasite/white spot STILL hasnt it?  >:(, also one of the harelquins has a patch on its back where its black, its not white its just like a greyish colour which is noticeable on the black colour on its back wonder what that could be? something inside it or somethin? or scratched it against something? hard to explain its only on 1 side and only on the 1 harelquin

the joys of fish keeping  >:(

Offline Sue

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
If the white spot has been in exactly the same place for a while, it won't be whitespot. That would have fallen off by now and even if the fish got reinfected it is not likely for the new one to be in exactly the same place.

The harlequin - not sure. One of my ember tetras has black markings on its body but as they've been there a while and the fish behaves like all the other embers, I've stopped worrying. It could just be the way the colours on that fish have grown.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »
ok thanks hopefully things wont get better, putting the carbon in my tank later when i get back and will look at the fish again see if things are ok

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
what could the white dot be ? looking again at it does look like a small grain of salt or maybe its just something on top of the fin not inside it, is it possible white spot to still be in  the tank after all the medicine that has been in ?

i hope it is the same ram that had this white dot on its fin and not one of the ones i took back

Offline Sue

« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »
Watch the spot for a few days. If it is whitespot it will fall off.

But I've also had fish with just one white spot (as opposed to whitespot, all one word, the illness) and I came to the conclusion it was the fish equivalent of a scab and the fish must have caught itself on something or got bitten by another fish. That too will go, the way scabs fall off us once the skin has healed under it.

But it might also be a scar in which case it might fade over time but not just disappear.

If it does vanish, keep an eye out for other fish getting spots but the chances are they won't with all the med you have added.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
sorry i will have to put the carbon in tomorrow, fed up of life and my thoughts feelings with this anxiety and ocd just gonna go lay down

Offline Resa

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
Oh...George :( I do so hope you feel a bit better and a little more positive after your rest.
It seems to me (after a quick read through your posts) that you have done everything you could for your little fishy friends...sometimes it is just time for them. We never know (unless really obvious babies) how old the stock are that we buy or what they might be incubating.
I'm sure everything will settle down soon and your tank and it's residents will provide you with the calm and relaxation that they normally do.
Take care...

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »
thanks, so am i best not puttin my carbon in now or not? gonna do my water change should of done it yesterday

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
someone is getting a bath so gonna have to wait for an hour

Offline Sue

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2013, 07:39:56 PM »
Do the water change first, then put the carbon in. The water change will remove a good chunk of the med so there'll be less for the carbon to get rid of.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
looked here too late, only just looked now will put the carbon in tomorrow now, thanks again everyone

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "some questions "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: