Author Topic: Fishy holiday  (Read 2474 times) 2 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Fishy holiday
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning all!
I'm trying to think of ways to ensure that my fish are ok whilst I'm on holiday in October. And so, if you don't mind, I have some questions for all you fishy experts out there.
First, I have to be away on a conference from 9-15 September. I had planned to put some fish in QT for 2 weeks, but this would mean that they'd go into the main tank at end Sept.- beginning Oct. I'm then going to be away on hols for 2 weeks from the middle of Oct., so is this cutting it a bit fine? Would I be better not putting anything in QT until I get back from my 2 weeks away in October?

Second, I don't have anyone to check on the fish whilst I'm away in October. I've got an Eiheim everyday automatic feeder that I plan to use (will test it out beforehand to check it works), but would I be better with some kind of block feed? The lights will be on a timer. Is there anything else I should be doing to make sure my fish will be OK?   ???

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Fishy holiday
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
Don't use a block. People have been known to come home to a tank covered in a layer of white and a lot of dead fish. Not all blocks are this bad but I still wouldn't risk it. Some of them are plaster of paris with some food inside, hence the white blanket.

The conference in September - will there be anyone to look at the fish in the QT while you weren't there. Not do anything but just look at them and contact you if they looked iffy then act on your instructions? You could them put them in your main tank as soon as the 2 weeks were up.
Will there be someone to feed the fish for you? If there is, make sure they understand how much food. If necessary, buy one of those pill dispensers with a compartment for every day and put a day's food in the relevant compartments. If you don't trust the person, hide the food tubs so they can't give the fish any more.

The October holiday - you are going away mid October so if you put the fish in the main tank at the end of September they'd have a good 2 weeks after quarantine before you left them. That means you'd have had them a month so they should be OK to leave.
As for feeding, 2 weeks is a bit long to leave them without food. A week to 10 days is fine. I would definitely test the automatic feeder and if it proves OK, use that. Two things to watch out for are the feeder dumping the whole lot in at once, and dampness ie water vapour coming off the tank, getting in and making the food tacky so it won't come out. Maybe put less food in than you normally would feed and programme it to drop food in every other day.

Do a big water change before you go, and again as soon as you can after your return.

And enjoy your holiday.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Fishy holiday
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
Hi Sue,
Thanks for such a swift and detailed response. yes, there'll be someone home when I'm on conference and I'll use one of those pill box thingies to measure each feed into so they can't be overfed, it's more the October holiday that's the worry, since we're all going on it.

We usually have the pet thing sorted pretty well. Mutt Mates come in to feed the cats so they don't have to go into the cattery. The dog goes to Aunty Gladys (dog walker, who we don't really need for dog walking as such, but she takes the dog into her house when we're away) so she doesn't have to go into the kennel.

It was just the fish I was worried about, there'd be no-one I'd trust with their care, as none of them even keep fish, and the dog always comes back from Aunty Gladys' much fatter because she gets too much buttered toast there (which she's not really allowed), so that's a person I don't want feeding my fish.
Will go with your suggestions. Thank you again, Diz  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishy holiday"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post December 18, 2014, 10:37:40 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 08:47:24 AM
by Sanjo
15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2016, 09:34:44 AM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2017, 07:59:31 AM
by Paddyc
12 Replies
Last post June 03, 2017, 05:32:08 PM
by adenann
6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2017, 04:29:58 PM
by mizuti
11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: