Silly Question, But What's MA?

Author Topic: Silly question, but what's MA?  (Read 13209 times) 43 replies

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
Silly question, but what's MA?
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I keep reading references such as "my MA has them in stock" etc and was wondering what this refered to.  Is it a chain of shops or something?
I live in Poole and all I've found are 4 Pets At Home shops within an easy drive (one of which I've become a regular at), Southern Aquatics not far away (that I buy equipment from cheaper but not fish) and a small independant very close by (that I don't like the look of). 
I'm more or less restricted to PAH for new fish so was wondering if there's a decent alternative in the East Dorset area?

Cheers,

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Silly question, but what's MA?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
Hi Ken,

It refers to Maidenhead Aquatics, but I'm sorry I can't help you on alternative shops but I'm sure someone will know somewhere near to you :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
Thanks Resa.  It's Google time!  :)

Oh goodie, I've got two fairly nearby, Wimborne and Christchurch.  Time to go browing garden centres then.  I've finally found something we can both do together.   ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »
I need to get googling for good fish shops too! I need to get my fish some more frozen food since the move, and eye up the stock of course! If anyone knows of a good fish shop in Southampton let me know! There's an aqua jardins near to my workplace if anyone has heard of that brand of shops?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
Looks like you've got 3 MA's in your area Jesnon at Southampton, Fareham and Havant.
4 Pets At Home too, Shirley, Eastleigh and two in fareham.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
here is a store finder for MA  They are a large chain store much like PAH but with a far higher reputation, deservedly so in my opinion.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
Thanks Resa.  It's Google time!  :)

Oh goodie, I've got two fairly nearby, Wimborne and Christchurch.  Time to go browing garden centres then.  I've finally found something we can both do together.   ;D

Ah...that's sweet of you....but I really think you should take SWMBO ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 02:59:54 PM »

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
Hi Jesnon,   There is one in Allington Lane, between West End and Fair Oak, and a MA at Crowd Hill, which is another couple of miles from there, near a place called Fishers Pond.   Neither too far from Southampton.

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »
I discovered Maidenhead Aquatics by accident one day while at a garden centre. I don't shop anywhere else now :)

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations for Maidenhead Aquatics, we're off to look at the Christchurch one tomorrow.  Me & SWMBO that is...  I'll take a look at the Wimborne one another time.

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:37 PM »
Happy fishy shopping, Ken....don't forget, we'll want to know everything you bought....fish-wise, that is ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 11:30:55 PM »
Jesnon! It sounds like you've got hundreds of fishy shops near you :D You'll be able to spend DAYS looking round at millions of fishies!
Happy shopping ;)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 07:37:11 AM »
Yeah it does doesn't it! Thanks all for the help! have fun at MA!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »
There used to be a section on this site listing shops. It was definitely on the old site (the owner gave a sample pot of fish food to anyone who updated the list and I got a couple of pots that way) and it was on the new site when it fist appeared. But he must have removed it as I can't find it. The way shops have closed and others opened over the last few years, it must have been a mammoth job trying to keep it up to date.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Trip postponed I'm afraid folks. 

My son phoned this morning telling me that he and the g/f were taking her little'un to the Tank Museum and would I like to go with them.  Would I?  Heck yes.  Any chance to spend time with them and my step-grandson is good with me (he's only 3).
I'm goosed now though.  What is it about toddlers that wears us oldies out so quickly?

So SWMBO had a day shopping on her own (she hates tanks) and we'll try the fishy shopping tomorrow.

Offline Resa

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »
Hi Ken,

So you've had a good day? Is that the tank museum at Bovington?
You'll be snoring away in your armchair this evening then ;)

I know how tiring little ones are. Before we moved here I used to child mind our eldest grand-daughter. When I began looking after her, she was only 8 days old....scary stuff!!! I child minded her until she was 3 and a half, for at least 2 days a week, but often more and plenty of weekends too. I loved this time with her and miss her desperately, but we have a wonderful bond and when I see her now it's like we've never been apart.
I used to collect her mum from work and then drop them both off home....and return home myself completely exhausted!
Now she has a little sister who has been born since we came here, but who, of course, I haven't had the same time with, but we are still close...and she loves her grandad! Mind you, she was only 2 weeks old on her first visit to us here! It's alright at that age though...they stay where you put them ;) She is now nearly 4! I can't believe how the time goes :o

Well, have a good day tomorrow fishy shopping, get lots of good stuff :)

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »
Cheers Resa, will do.

I didn't have the pleasure(?) of seeing little Harvey when he was really small as Carl and Jess have only been together for a couple of years.  I'm still getting used to being called Grampa Ken...

I was thinking get a few shrimps tomorrow perhaps?  I'm off on holiday next week and am dreading coming home to a tank full of dead fish again.  If one pops his fins maybe the shrimp will do a cleanup act before I get back?  ( Blimey, that makes me sound so heartless and bad.)  What do you think?  All advice and comments more than welcome.

Offline Resa

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »
Hi Grampa Ken, ;)

I don't know much about shrimps (other than they taste nice...sorry :-[ ) but Sue and Jesnon will steer you right on that. However, for what it's worth, if it was me, I would be inclined to leave any additions or alterations to your tank until you get back from holiday. If everything is nice and stable it would give it it's best chance of staying that way until your home again (I would think :-\ ) Like I said, the shrimp experts will tell you best, so listen to them rather than me.

This has been an incredibly difficult post to type as I am being helped by George...one of my kittens! Apart from walking across the keyboard and typing gobbledygook...a big word for a kitten, I think you would agree ;D , he keeps biting my hands, crawling round my neck and trying to chew my buttons off because I am ignoring him!

Anyway, you can still go shopping to choose everything you can buy after your hols....if you've any money left ;D

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
Yes, you're probably right (again) Resa.  Best leave well alone. 
Next door's popping in daily to feed Benny so I'm leaving her measured feeds in old 35mm film cases to give the fish every 3 days.  Hopefully that'll see things stay OK.  [fingerscrossed]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Silly question, but what's MA?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 01, 2012, 05:56:58 PM
by Mervyn
4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2015, 10:44:46 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 10:28:52 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 10:25:42 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 09:02:14 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 10:08:04 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: