Silly Question, But What's MA?

Author Topic: Silly question, but what's MA?  (Read 13223 times) 43 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Silly question, but what's MA?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A good tip I saw on here, is hide your stock of fish food....in case your well meaning neighbour is tempted to give them "just a little bit more"  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »
Good point.  I'll do that too.   :D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Hi Ken - what kind of shrimp are you thinking of? I can't remember now how long your tank has been setup, but shrimp.are sensitive little things! It's best to leave them until your tank has been running a few months - they're similar to your tetras that they need a mature tank to thrive. Even though I left getting my cherry red shrimp for a few months I still lost half of them to unknown causes and they're supposedly the easy beginner shrimp! My 3 surviving shrimp are doing great though and are so entertaining to watch! I'm hoping to bring the numbers ip again once everything is settled and breed them hopefully!o watch!

I've had to leave my tank for the weekend, which given my dodgy electrics has put me on edge somewhat. Luckily there's been no issues with the tank power the whole week so fingers crossed it'll be fine. i just feel awful leaving when the guys have only just settled in!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »
Hi Jesnon.

I really don't know - either Ghosts or Cherries were my initial thoughts but by the sound of it I'm best leaving things as they are for now and trusting to nature.  Tomorrow will most likely be just window shopping and enjoying the delights of a fresh aquarium outlet.

Mind you, when I get back, who knows...   ;)

The big tank's been going about a month now and all the levels are static with no algae problem apart from a thin film on the glass which I scrub off every now and then as I've not got any algae feeders yet.  I do a weekly 20% water change and will do another at the weekend, a few days before we go.  We've lost a few (2 Endlers and 4 Tetras over the month in all) but the rest are quite settled bar one mini Endler who insists on not growing bigger like his brothers.

Cheers,

Offline jesnon

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the mini endler, my endler Scutter is half to a third of the size of the others, doesn't stop him from bullying the biggest endler!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »
I too would wait before getting shrimps. I have had problems with mine - all the cherries I bought have died. Natalia suspected a shrimp-specific 'bug' in the tank that the newly bought cherries had no immunity to. It is not a good idea to allow shrimps to eat dead ones as that is a very good way to pass on disease - and the same applies to fish. Always removed dead bodies whenever you see them.
I have amano shrimps in another tank, and apart from losing one shortly after purchase, they have been fine. I lost a female last year and another about a month ago, but I did buy them in Feb 2009. Amanos don't breed in freshwater tanks. The females beome berried but the larvae (amano eggs hatch into larvae unlike cherries) need salt water to survive.
There are recent reports of amanos killing small fish, though a lot of those cases are down to shops selling macrobrachium shrimps as amanos, and indeed as ghost shrimp. If you go for ghost shrimp, check their arms before you buy. Any shrimp with long arms is predatory.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
No worries, I won't get any shrimps Sue - the tank stays as it is until I get back.  I must admit, I was tempted when I saw them today though. ;)

Thaose MA outlets are just fantastic aren't they?  We went to both Wimborne and Christchurch so would could compare the two and I must say there's not a lot in it.  Both have a great selection of hardware and fish in well kept clean conditions.  The species differed slightly in both shops so I gues it's what you want at the time. 

Did a partial water change / gravel clean this afternoon and spotted a lifeless little form on the bottom.  Yes, baby endler has gone I'm afraid.  I didn't think he would last so long to be honest, he really hung in there.     :'(
When I saw him this morning he was hiding on the bottom behind the sunken tank even though there was food up top.

Offline Resa

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »
Ah...that's a shame, Ken :( Sorry about your little endler.
The only consolation is that at least he didn't last until you had gone on holiday, and then died. That could have upset your water.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:58 PM »
That's true Resa.  In a sad way it's a good thing I suppose.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
Honey, I'm home...
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
Hi all,
Sorry for not posting any updates for a while but we've just got back from holiday.

Good news - all the little fishies survived. :)
My neighbour was as good as her word and only fed the food I'd partitioned out, every other day.

Had a bit of a scare the day before we left - the NitrAte seemed to spike suddenly up to >80! and when I tested the tap water it was the same.  Confirmed the reading with a sample from my son's tank (5 miles away) and it seems that Nitrate test bottle #2 had some undisolved particles in it that dislodged and made the readings way too high.  I'd been doing daily tests and getting readings of ~10 so the concentration suddenly changing made for really wacky results.  New test kit duly purchased today.

Anyway, while I was at MA Wimborne getting the test kit I somehow managed to sneak 5 Glowlight Tetras into my bag... ;)
So I now have a small community of 3 Neons, 3 Endlers and 5 Glowlights which seem to all be getting on fine so far.  The Glowlights also seem to have had a calming effect on the territorial Neons too and even they're getting on.

Another week and I may add some more Tetras (if necessary) to up their shoal number.  I still need to leave room for the Guppies my son has promised me from their brood though.

It's good to be back. :)

Offline Resa

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 01:09:12 AM »
Hi Ken,

Welcome home from your hols 8) Hope you had a good time.

Good news that all your fishy friends were fine when you got back....phew!
Obviously, you were meant to have a problem with your test kit...otherwise you might not have spotted your little glowlights waiting for a good home ;)
Don't forget some pics for us ;) Of your fishies, of course, not your holiday snaps ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 10:08:53 AM »
Welcome back Ken, and I'm glad all's well in the tank. Yep, piccies - it's the rule, you know! :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Thanks Resa.  Yep, holiday was great - I won't bore you with the holiday snaps don't worry.  ;)
(You're up late/early aren't you?)

Colin, cheers.  LOL - I can but try with pics...

The bad news is that the new nitrate test kit is giving the same high result (~80).  Tap water's just as high too so it looks like it's incurable at the moment as water changes won't do a thing.  Any suggestions?  Is that API Nitrate reducer any good or should I leave well alone?

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
Are you aware that the maximum level allowed in UK drinking water is 50ppm? I know that home nitrate testers are only ball-park, but it could be worth contacting your water supplier to see what they have to say for themselves.

I don't know much about products that claim to remove nitrate. If you don't mind possibly wasting your money, you could try one and see what happens. Do you mean API Nitra-Zorb?

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »
That's the one Sue, yes.

I was aware that the water co's had a limit but not what it is, thanks.  I'll do another tap water test later and see what the level reads as.

Cheers

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Hi Sue,
I emailed Wessex Water asking their opinion on my high Nitrate readings and their reply was basically along the lines of "the water's fine".

Apparently the official nitrate reading for my area is 36, HOWEVER... 
That is based on an average of just 8 readings taken between 1 Jan and 31 Dec '12 which gave extremes of 27 and 41ppm.  Not exactly current figures that inspire confidence.
I therefore still maintain that the current level for my tap water is around 40-80ppm.

But - the fish don't seem to mind too much so I'll leave it at that.  ;-)

Offline Sue

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 08:04:51 AM »
Nitrate needs to be in the 100s before it affects most fish. There are some nitrate sensitive fish, but thorough researching before purchase will flag up if the one you want is sensitive.
It is also known for water to temporarilly have high nitrate especially if the catchment area has a lot of farmland that gets fed on nitrogen rich fertiliser. Yours might go down again.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
It is also known for water to temporarilly have high nitrate especially if the catchment area has a lot of farmland that gets fed on nitrogen rich fertiliser. Yours might go down again.

Good point! I don't know where you live, but round here there's been an awful lot of muck-spreading. The air's rather 'fruity' at times.  ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »
Thanks Sue, that puts my mind at rest.   :)

Colin, I'm in the heart of Poole.  Not much muck spreading here but plenty in the surrounding countryside I suppose.  At least we don't get the smell this far away.   ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »
It's that surrounding countryside that the water runs off and ends up in your taps.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Silly question, but what's MA?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 01, 2012, 05:56:58 PM
by Mervyn
4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2015, 10:44:46 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 10:28:52 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 10:25:42 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 09:02:14 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 10:08:04 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: