Shrimps In Biorb

Author Topic: Shrimps in Biorb  (Read 22237 times) 6 replies

Offline Robert Price

Shrimps in Biorb
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, we have recently set up a 30Litre Biorb Flow. Water conditions are ok, and we have a couple of small fish in the tank. Would adding shrimps cause any problems?. We have piled the substrate next to the internal filter, so I do not think anything would be able to get trapped.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Shrimps in Biorb
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »
Do you have an internal filter in addition to the built in one that comes with biorbs? If you do, it's fine to move the substrate. But if you don't, and are just using the built in filter, the substrate is actually the bio media and won't work properly unless it is spread out evenly. The built in filter is basically an undergravel filter with the box being a prefilter.

Having said that, you would be fine with shrimps in there. Red cherry shrimps are the most commonly available and the hardiest of the small shrimps. They will do better with plants though - but it is not a good idea to plant them in the biorb's media. Things like java fern or one of the smaller species of anubias fastened to a rock or piece of wood is the better option. Or even hornwort floating in the tank. Shrimps like to graze on these plants and they need somewhere to hide when they moult until the new skin hardens as they are very vulnerable during this time.
But before you buy shrimps, I need to ask if the tank is cycled yet. Shrimps are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish so you need to have a tank that is totally free of them before putting shrimps in.

Offline Robert Price

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply, the substrate is spread fairly evenly across the base, but with a little extra around the filter. The cycling is complete, with good readings on Nitrate etc. I only have silk plants in at the moment, so will take your advice to add Moss etc.

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »
Hi Robert,  can I ask you how long your biOrb took to cycle?  Mine's taking forever!!

Liz

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Widow Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:09:56 AM »
Liz - the length of cycle is not caused by the tank but by the water; and we know that your water is so soft it makes cycling slow. If Robert has hard alkaline water with lots of bacteria surviving the water company's attempt to kill them his cycle would have gone quickly.

Robert - silk plants are also fine provided they are quite thick (ie lots of nooks and crannies for shrimps to hide). And even better if they get covered in algae like mine do.
You mentioned having a couple of fish. Can I ask what they are? I should have asked before as some fish will make a meal of any shrimps you put in there.

Offline Robert Price

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »
Liz & Sue - sorry about the delay in answering. My water is very hard in this area, but I "seeded" the tank with some substrate from an existing set-up. I put in 2 dwarf albino bristle nosed after about 3 weeks. So far everything is going to plan. One slight problem I had , was that one of the albino's managed to get itself into the base of the filter box. This is my fear if I put shrimps in. I have silk plants, plus some real Java Moss, and a Anubias Petite.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »
i can certainly confirm that shrimp are curious little things if theres a gap there going to go threw it after finding all 8 of mine in my external filter.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimps in Biorb"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish
5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 08:49:06 AM
by Sue
92 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 04:55:03 PM
by Sanjo
16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
by Alex_N
14 Replies
Last post November 17, 2015, 05:43:00 PM
by Sanjo
1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2016, 12:51:22 PM
by Robert
19 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 06:11:39 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: