Author Topic: shrimps and fish  (Read 2628 times) 4 replies

Offline pandaman

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
shrimps and fish
« on: November 05, 2016, 05:51:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Guys,
I seem to have a problem and need some advice.
My tank is 125 ltr fully planted, I have 5 Amano, 12 red cherries and 8 panda corys.
The problem seems to be that all the shrimps are being denied food by the pandas by being chased away from it.
the shrimps are confined to the plants and I have lost two so far, not sure if they are starving to death.
My nitrates are low 10 ppm so I have very little algae growth.
Would you think it a good idea to give the shrimps their own nano tank.
I'm sure other people keep shrimps and fish together !
Maybe I was wrong to have two bottom feeding species as they seem to compete.
 :'(

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
Re: shrimps and fish
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 07:10:22 PM »
@pandaman I don't have much direct experience with shrimp, but have you tried growing some algae on stones in a dish of water on a warm well lit window ledge? You can place the stones in amongst the plants on rotation. In the short-term maybe you could find a small amount of algae in a garden water butt or container but I'm not sure how you would feed it to them. Another suggestion would be to crush fish flake into a fine powder that wouldn't interest the gutsy Corys then place it directly into the plants near the roots and hope that it settles where the shrimp can get to it.
Best of luck and I hope this helps

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 07:16:06 PM »
I clicked on post to discover Andy had beaten me to it. So I'll just delete everything from my post that he said and leave the rest  ;D

It is possible to keep fish and shrimps together, depending on the fish species - nothing too big or aggressive. Panda cories are not big or aggressive so your shrimps should be OK.

It is not uncommon to lose shrimps. I had real problems when I first had shrimps. A member on here helped me; she said it was most likely due to a shrimp-specific bacterium in my tank and the best way to deal with it was by adding beta-glucans to help boost the shrimps' immune system. I wasn't losing just a couple of shrimps though, it was all of them  :( . I was down to my last one, a berried female. The eggs hatched and about a dozen of them survived though the mother died. My colony was started from these baby shrimps.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
I have amano shrimp in my temperate tanks, which also contain peppered cories. They are bigger than panda cories, but it just so happens that the shrimp in those tanks are female, and quite large themselves. I will say that my amanos take no messing, and make sure that they get their fair share.
It may be down to fish/shrimp personality, who gets put in the tank first, who thinks it's their patch, etc. It could be anything, unfortunately they can't tell us.
I'm a big fan of alga stones  :) , although possibly not as much of a fan as my bristlenose and blue-eyed ancistrus, who go nuts for them  ;D . I don't give them to my shrimp as they don't have a problem with finding enough food.
I have panda cories in my betta tank, so I know they can feed anywhere in the tank (not just on the floor), but you could also try putting food somewhere towards the top of the tank for the shrimp. Make sure that they have some cover so they feel comfortable, but perhaps stick an alga wafer or something somewhere that would be less comfortable for the cories to feed, such as the underside of a leaf, so the cories would get used to eating the food at the bottom of the tank and leave the stuff at the top of the tank for the shrimp. I don't know if it would work, but it might be worth a try.

Offline pandaman

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:44:24 PM »
Thats for the tips guys.
I will try your idea Little Fish about attaching a algae wafer to a leaf, might just work.
i'll let you know if it works.
 ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "shrimps and fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 07:25:16 AM
by chris213
92 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 04:55:03 PM
by Sanjo
0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 07:26:26 PM
by Robert
30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 01:56:09 PM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 12:10:31 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 11:00:49 AM
by Matt
43 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 07:33:50 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: