Shrimp Advice

Author Topic: Shrimp advice  (Read 11319 times) 23 replies

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
Shrimp advice
« on: August 02, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I couldn't find a suitable forum on here for this topic, so I hope this will do, I certainly recon there must be someone in here with relevant experience.
So here's my confession. I actually have a baby biorb (you know one of those tanks that's unsuitable for keeping fish, bought a long time ago, on bad advice long story etc etc) and I thought I might set it up for shrimp and snails. Would that work? It's 15litres according to the manufacturer, it has the usual biorb style filter (small circular sponge in filter, ceramic media on bottom of tank) it has no heater, but apparently you can buy them, I assume that would be needed?
What do they need?
Can I get more than one different type of shrimp, and are there some that must not be kept together?
When I asked in the lfs about feeding they said they just eat the algae in the tank, but the notice on the tank said they eat shrimp food. There was nothing labelled shrimp food in the shop!
Do you recon I can cycle the tank using TSS, I bought some ages ago, before deciding it wasn't going to help my fish less cycle?
Sorry for all the q's. Hopefully someone can help.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
Hmmm, tricky one. There is someone on another forum asking something very similar (shrimps, 15 litre biorb life - it's not you is it  ;D ) and the replies on there are to get a different tank (not applicable in your case as you already have it) and a comment from someone who has the larger one saying he's not sure how shrimps would cope, he wonders if they'd get stuck in the filter.

But for shrimps in general -
Red cherry shimps are one of the hardiest, colourful shrimps. They like temps between 21 and 27 deg C.
You shouldn't keep different colour morphs of the same species or you'll end up with hybrid colours, most likely brown. Cherry shrimps do come in different colours such as red, yellow, orange; rili shrimps are the same species. Then there's the crystal shrimps - I've come across red and black, tiger shrimps are another colour of these. Check out what species any shrimp is before mixing them - this is a useful site.
Most shrimps do eat algae but I also feed mine on Hikari shrimp cuisine. I crush the pellets a bit so the babies can get some.
Shrimps like hiding places as they have to shed their skins to grow. Even though there won't be any fish to eat them in this vulnerable stage they will still prefer somewhere to hide while the new skin hardens. Either live plants (the kind fastened to decor in a biorb) or fake plants with lots of small leaves.

You could try the TSS, but bear in mind that shrimps are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish are, so you'd need to make sure the biorb was well and truly free of them before adding shrimps.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
Ok, so some things to think about. It's not a biorb life, that's the tall one, the baby biorb is the spherical one. When I initially googled what fish I could keep in it, answers were coming up "you could use it as a shrimp tank" which is what gave me the idea.
So are those lovely striped ones cherry shrimp? And are they the type that can reproduce in fresh water?
What's the other forum called so I can check it out? (Shhh, you can pm me it if you like!). ;)
Thanks for the links, and the reply. I will check out the links now.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:09:48 AM »
Cherry shrimps are plain red - well at least the females are, the males can be paler. The red and white stripey ones are red crystal and the black and white stripey ones are black crystal, both of which are less hardy than cherries. There are bigger shrimps too, but as they are grey, I didn't mention the plain grey glass/ghost shrimps or the grey with brown dots (male) or dashes (female) down their sides amanos. If you didn't mind the lack of colour, amanos would cope with the filtration system.

Amanos can't breed in freshwater. The females get berried (that just means carrying eggs under the abdomen) and the eggs do vanish to be replaced by new ones but the larvae need salt water to develop so they die in our fresh water tanks. These shrimps live in estuaries, the larvae get swept down to the salty area at the river mouth then swim back upstream when they have matured.

I haven't a clue about ghost/glass shrimps  :-[

The others can and do breed in our tanks, the limiting factor being the number and size of fish in with them. With no fish, you could have quite a shrimp colony. My cherries share a tank with pygmy cories and sundadanios which are all very small and I have to rescue babies from the bucket at every water change. These shrimps do not go through a larval stage, the newly hatched babies are miniature adults.

The biorb life is a different shape from the standard one but I think all the biorbs, whatever shape, use the same filtration method don't they? It's the filter that people on 'the other forum' were worried about.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Thanks Sue,
So amanos wouldn't get stuck in the filter, is that what you are saying? Is it cos they are bigger? Yes they all have the same filtration system. I've not had a good look at it recently so not sure where the problem lies.
I followed that link, so have had a look at the different types available. There are a lot! I've only seen amano in pets at home, and the red crystal in maidenhead. So amano is a possibility? Hmmm.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
I have a male and female Amano shrimp and the female is particularly large (affectionately known as shrimpzilla in our household). It's actually larger than a fair few of our fish and probably about comparable in general size to a Platy. The male was significantly smaller when I got it and did find it's way into the filter for a while, but since I've retrieved it it hasn't gone back and I think it is now too large. They definitely don't have the more striking colouration of the Cherry varieties but still have a nice patterning to them.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
I think the way biorb (of all shapes) filtration works is basically an undergravel filter with a box for carbon and a polishing sponge. You have the tank so you'll be able to say better than me  ;D Does the water flow down through the rocks or up through the rocks? That is, does it work like a conventional UG filter or a reverse flow UG filter. If it is down through the rocks, that is why it could be a problem. Conventional UGs are known to suck fry (and baby shrimps) into the gravel or rocks potentially killing them. Reverse flow UGs (ie water flows upwards from the rocks) are much safer for tiny creatures.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
I've had a look on the internet, as it's not clear from looking at the thing what happens with the water flow. But it turns out It's like a conventional under gravel. So the water, and sometimes creatures, gets sucked downwards through the gravel.
I had this crazy idea I would join the biorb forum to see if anyone had any tips, you know, from someone who actually gas one. You can't view the forum unless you are registered. And you can't register without extreme difficulty. I mean it's harder than registering for online banking!
Anyway, I think I'm in, just need to wait for a real person to email me.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
i love my shrimp there so funny to watch sometimes very often steeling the food right from my fish mouth and scampering of some were to enjoy there spoils followed by a  angry fish that's alot larger than then  :raspberries

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
Yes, they seem like real characters. Now starting to think I should just get some for the aqua nano.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 09:54:28 PM »
I've managed to get some sensible sounding advice re the baby biorb. Basically most people who have them seem to take out the biorb media and replace it with "pea gravel". It's smaller and so shrimp etc are much less likely to get stuck in between the pieces. A lot of people also replace the filter altogether and get an external, or internal.
Also got some advice on heaters and am ordering a new light as my original one rusted up.
So I think I'm set to get some shrimp soon!

Oops, nearly ten o'clock, better get ready to switch off the lights! Think my fish will want to join in?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »
I didn't know that biorbs still work if you used pea gravel. I'll file that away for future reference  ;D Pea gravel is what the original under gravel filters used. Vast surface area for bacteria to grow on. Having seen baby shrimps in action, they do jump out of the way if anything threatens them. They should be capable of keeping out of harm on pea gravel. I understand the biorb rocks are quite big, and I could see even adult shrimps getting themselves wedged in those.

However shrimps don't see a looming siphon tube as a threat, only if it touches them. I suck up around half a dozen shrimps at each water change ranging from tiny babies to adults. If you do get shrimp, always check the bucket before throwing the old water away. I go through it with a jug to make sure as baby cherry shrimps are too small to see at the bottom of a bucket of water  :-\

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »
Right then, I'll bear that in mind.
Yes apparently you have to make sure there's nothing smaller than garden pea sized in there, it would get stuck in the mechanism, but larger pieces are fine.

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »
Hi Puffin
I have a 60lte biorb with 7 platies and 3 ghost shrimp in it and the shrimp are doing fine. I did lose a couple when it was cycling but that was because of water quality, not the filter. They actually seem to like the large substrate in the biorb and they bury themselves in it when they want to hide/shed. I've never had any end up in the filter either but possibly because it's well planted and a bigger tank than the baby orb so can't guarantee it won't happen.

Be careful with the heater you choose though - I've read some horror stories about them being so hard to control that they have 'cooked' fish in the baby orb. My tank is unheated and the ghost shrimp are thriving (house is centrally heated and I keep it warm so may/may not need one for the winter though)

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Shrimp advice
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
Decided to go for it with the shrimp tank...
No heater in there yet, what kind of temperatures can they take? These are two amano shrimp, but looking at adding more of same or different species.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »
Yay, that came out right way up, I'll try some more...

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
Info from a couple of sites
will tolerate a wide range of temperatures, but best kept at 70°F-78°F
Water temperature: 68 - 82 °F

and from the fish profiles on here
Temp Min: 18℃ Max: 27℃

Shrimps do better in groups of the same species........

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
Ok, thanks Sue. More of the same and a heater, it is then. :)

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
So glad I got some shrimp, they are great characters, I love watching them. Sometimes they zoom about, other times I have to search really carefully to find them chilling on a bit of driftwood. Other times they hide completely so I've no idea where they are, then I find an exoskeleton and think I've managed to kill one of them, then they come out of hiding again and I realise it's just moulting! This has happened to me three times, you'd think I'd learn!
Need to get some more ASAP.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »
i knew i wanted shrimp before i even got the tank and i dont regret them at all , i love to watch them up to naughty little things scampering around everywere but yes it is a scary thing when see the empty shell i still have the same reaction as you , i think they do it on purpose.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimp advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 11:13:34 AM
by jesnon
8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 12:24:16 PM
by chris213
6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 10:13:11 AM
by chris213
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 09:14:40 PM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 12:10:31 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2017, 07:34:53 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: