Water Change, Like A Military Excercise

Author Topic: Water Change, like a military excercise  (Read 2876 times) 7 replies

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Water Change, like a military excercise
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've just done a water change and trying to be efficient - ie no wet carpet!! I got everything ready for the operation.  I was very pleased I managed to pipe the water out of the window into the garden, saving carrying heavy buckets   ;D a first using this method.  I have a 25 ltr bucket  to refill the tank. which I fill from the hose connected to the outside tap  That was the only thing I forgot to do and run it through first to get rid of  any stagnant water and bugs, oh and I forgot the towel on the floor to protect the carpet  ::)

So after I finished and cleared up, sitting with a well deserved coffee and watching the recipients of my labour, I reflected that it was a bit like a military exercise, not that I've ever been on one  ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Water Change, like a military excercise
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:52:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
In 20 years time, you will just do water changes without thinking about them. And during that time you will find ways of making them easier/less messy. When I think back to when I first had fish, I was terrified of doing a water change in case I killed the fish or drowned the carpet  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 04:54:24 PM »
Even on a good day the carpet usually gets a few splashes of water.   ::)

Offline kdt1

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »
I use a python no spillages.

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
I bought a python, but unfortunately it wont go on my kitchen tap!  :'( It would have to go on the outside tap, like the refill hose does now), This has to run through the garage, into the house via the dining room and then into the living room. Plus the outside tap doesn't have a drain under it for the waste to run away.  Then it would be cold water only filling the tank.
At the moment, I uses part of the python to empty out of the dinging room window, the garden hose to fill my 25 ltr bucket, which is topped up with buckets hot water from the tap (combi boiler, not tank)  I then use a submersible pump to fill the tank.  So far, this seems to be the easiest change I have done.  But I'm sure I can improve given time - maybe an expensive change of kitchen taps  ::) still involves running piping through the house, or I could just move  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
20 odd years later I am still using buckets to water changes. I did start off for 10 years with nothing bigger than a 60 litre and a 25 litre tank, then I got an extra, 125 litre in about 2007, then replaced that with a 180 litre in 2014. I got so used to using buckets with the small tanks that I've just carried on with them.

Our kitchen taps are also non-compatible with any sort of hose. I would also never ever be allowed to run nasty dirty bacteria laden water down the sink as you do with a python. I am astounded that my husband has emptied the old water buckets for my while I've not been allowed to lift anything, and even more astounded that he's been willing to empty the water over his garden plants  :o

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »
You both need to look up Hoselock tap Connectors. There are designs to connect a garden hose to almost all tap types.  I too have a combi boiler and so I fill my tank with temperature matched water from the comfort of the sofa!

:cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 08:30:20 PM »
What, attach anything to our kitchen tap  :yikes: You are forgetting that my husband and I are the wrong way round. He is house proud, loves shopping, won't do any diy or anything except gardening which involves dirty fingernails while I will live quite happily in a totally disorganised mess, hate shopping (I go with a list and can finish in 5 minutes) and am quite happy doing diy - as a small child, our son once said "Daddy, what are you doing with Mummy's drill?" If I got as much as one tiny scratch on the tap I'd never hear the end of it  ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water Change, like a military excercise "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 11:25:19 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2014, 08:30:01 PM
by SteveS
6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 01:33:37 PM
by Flaree123
16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 08:28:18 PM
by fishcake76
20 Replies
Last post March 01, 2020, 05:39:52 PM
by terra firma
5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 05:12:37 PM
by Charlotte
14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2018, 09:35:29 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: