Seneye Wifi

Author Topic: Seneye wifi  (Read 3688 times) 5 replies

Offline Chris H-C

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Seneye wifi
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,everyone I am tropical freshwater novice but I fear to old to be classified as a "newbie ". I have read all the forum to gain the knowledge that you have learned through time and various trials and errors,and it's helped me hugely to set up my Aqua one 100ltr tank. I love this set up as the filter system built into the rear of the tank seams to be really efficient. I have several ( well maybe hundreds ) questions, how often should the last cloth covered carbon filter be replaced, it gets brown very quickly and I rinse it out in the old tank water before I throw it on the trees and plants in the garden. When do I introduced new ceramic pieces to the existing ones in the bag taking out one for one, how many and how often?I have approximately 15 various real plants with two long air stones,but very hard water with a ph level of 8.2 ,and use R/O water from the local aquarium shop to do my water changes. Lastly I love gadgets and have installed the Seneye with the wifi set up to help me keep a safer tank for my 6 harlequins6 guppies 5 neon tetras 1 male betts 1 female betts and two assassin snails, I just want a small bottom feeder any suggestions? Does anyone have a Seneye and there expert views on all the above would be very helpful. Will try to send a few photos if I can work out how to attach them.
Chris.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Seneye wifi
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 04:44:10 PM »
To answer your questions:

The carbon cartridge. I would replace it with sponge, or perhaps a layer of filter wool that you replace regularly. The outer layer of the cartridge is probably made of something similar to filter wool, which is designed to trap small particles and gets clogged quickly. Filter wool is not a very good medium for bacteria to grow on and if it is replaced regularly it won't grow many bacteria anyway so throwing it away will do not harm.
And you don't actually need to run carbon full time.

You don't need to replace ceramic media until it crumbles. The instructions will tell you to replace it every so many months - this is a money making ploy for the manufacturer. When the ceramics to start to disintegrate, depending on what else is in the filter: if the media is nearly all ceramic, replace a quarter every month till it's all changed; if there are other things in there as well, replace a third to a half every month.

Seneye - not really into gadgets so don't know  :)

Bottom dwellers - I have pygmy cories in my 50 litre tank. In your tank you could fit a shoal of the larger panda cories. But cories do prefer sand rather than gravel, though they might be OK if your gravel is smooth.

Attachments - click on the 'attachments and other options' box below the reply box then use browse to find and click on your photo

Your stocking - how long have you had that combination of fish? Because you have some combinations that are not recommended.
Male bettas often mistake male guppies for other male bettas and attack them
Neon tetras have been known to nip the fins of male bettas
Male and female bettas should not be kept together except when breeding them, and then only until they have spawned and keeping a close eye on them for aggression. One or other usually ends up badly beaten up during spawning.

Offline Chris H-C

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »
Hi Sue, thanks for the advice on filtering ,I have purchased microscopic pads that you cut to size and put it in the first section of the filter hopefully to catch the dirtiest water, hopefully in the right place. Bought the blue bettta yesterday along with 5 neon tetras all living in the same tank, as well as one female betta wanted 4 in total as the shop said its better to have a minium of 4 to stop the male hounding the females. At the moment all is peaceful in there world they just ride the surf from the pump queue up to do all again (except the tetras who feel that they are all above that). Will look at cories for the bottom of the tank to keep the ecosystem on track,and would like to have some shrimp if there'll be ok.have attached some photos using your instructions.thanks for your advice and for future updates and experienced advice.
Chris

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »
A word of caution - don't believe anything a shop says until you have researched for yourself.

Yes, female bettas should be kept alone or in a group of at least four. One is fine. With two, one will bully the other. With three, two will pick on one. With four and over, the aggression gets spread out and no one fish gets picked on all the time. But this is in a tank with just female bettas. If you have four females with a male, the chances are fairly good that the females will gang up on the male.
Few shops seem to realise that it is not a good idea to mix males and females. It can be done in a large, heavily planted tank but it is still risky.
I've even seen a shop with two rather finless males in the same tank  :o

Keep a close eye on them and separate the male if you see anything untoward happening. One of those nets that hang on the side designed for fry is a good temporary solution but make sure you cover it with something as bettas can jump. If this does happen, the best long term solution would be a separate tank for the male, something in the region of 20 litres or over.

If you get shrimp you'll most likely be giving the bettas an expensive snack, I'm afraid. They'd be safe from the other fish though.

Offline Chris H-C

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice will not get any more females and will keep an eye on the "happy couple " who I hope won't file for divorce. Shame about the Shrimp, will the cories or similar be enough to help keep the balance?
Many thanks Chris

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:06:38 PM »
Cories won't eat algae like shrimps, and they do need feeding (sinking pellets) rather than rely on flakes making it to the bottom of the tank before all being eaten, but yes cories would be fine to keep the balance.

Tags: Fish and photos 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Seneye wifi "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 07:44:10 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2015, 11:41:53 AM
by Extreme_One
18 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 12:01:14 AM
by Helen
22 Replies
Last post January 08, 2019, 12:29:41 AM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: