Sand Changing Colour

Author Topic: Sand Changing Colour  (Read 6805 times) 35 replies

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Sand Changing Colour
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A question that I hope you guys n gals might be able to help with... 

My sand substrate started life as white sand, but over time it is getting darker and darker with distinct levels of colour difference going on, darker at the top and fading down to nearer the original colour... 

The majority of the tank is pea gravel over a sub layer of John Innes #3 and I guess that's likely to have a large part in this equation, but bottom line is that I don't know...  I see other folks' pictures with white or pale sand and they look to retain much of the original colour, so I'm a little curious and possibly even worried about what's happening with mine - especially as it might be something that needs addressing that I don't know about...?

This picture is when the tank was still very much in its infancy, but you can still start to see the change: 

This pic is more recent, but it has gone darker still since this: 

Do I need to be worried and/or is there something I should be doing about it...?   ???

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Sand Changing Colour
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Looks like it’s on the glass. Possibly algae or biofilm. Could you try pushing something down between the glass and the sand to see if that’s the case.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 12:30:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I agree with daveyng, the dark next to the glass does look like algae. The edge of the sand is exposed to the light which will encourage algae to grow. i get that in my betta's tank which does not have a trim at the front so the whole depth of sand is exposed to light.

Dark patches will also occur under decor. These patches are due to anaerobic bacteria, an integral part of the tank's ecosystem. They grow under decor as water does not circulate well and becomes oxygen depleted - and anaerobic means 'no air'

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »
Spot on guys...!!!  Just popped something down there as suggested and it does indeed seem to be just at the glass contact area rather than throughout the sand... 

Is this something I can leave be or should I be aiming to address it, and if so, do you have any good suggestions as to how's best to get rid of it...? 

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
I don't think there's any way of getting rid of it. I just go along the edge with a  plastic scraper pushing it down between the substrate and glass to remove the algae/film when it gets unsightly.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:29:33 PM »
You need to be very careful not to scratch the glass, one grain of sand getting caught in the wrong place will ruin the tank!

I have seen people use a credit card but I've no idea how good this is myself...

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:20:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys...  For the now, I'll leave it be I think...  Definitely don't wanna mess the tank up - might arrange some sort of temporary cover so as to deprive that layer of light, maybe...  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »
I use plastic plant labels to clear algae of the glass above the substrate. Anything with a nice flat edge would work including a credit card. But you would have to be very careful down the side of sand - as Matt says it scratches glass.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
I do have a great tool for the uncovered glass, so that's not a problem as such:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tetra-Scraper-Floating-Handle-Aquarium/dp/B000S5JMXI/ 

But as you guys say, it's beneath the sand where the tricky part is... 

I do vaguely recall reading once about a snail type that's supposed to be good for finding that layer of algae and will consume it...  Probably Nerites at a guess...?  My old memory could just as easily be playing tricks on me though...

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
I do have a snail that crawls on the glass down under the sand in just the place where your problem is. But I cannot say if it eats algae there because my sand is not very deep and the top of the sand is below the level of the trim so i can't see it.
I don't know if the snail in question is actually a nerite or not. it is the one in the first photo in this thread https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/gallery-showcase/snail-photos/

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »
That's the one labelled: "#1.JPG" presumably Sue...?  I can't tell either - looks Nerite shaped but not colouring...  I'll have to investigate more I think, as the temptation for a single Nerite is definitely there - it is the black ones I like, forgotten their proper name though...  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »
Yes, that's the one  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 06:45:30 PM »
I don't know if the snail in question is actually a nerite or not. it is the one in the first photo in this thread https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/gallery-showcase/snail-photos/
I recognise that possibly-nerite's colouring from being similar to https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/snails/1558-horned-nerite-snail-sun-clithon-corona.html. My nerite spends time in the location you and Sue describe - but I don't know whether or not he eats the algae, for the same reasons as Sue mentions.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
@fcmf  have you ever had problems with having to "rescue" Nerites after they've fallen over...?

Reason I ask is that on the one hand, I would like a single black Nerite: https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/snails/1555-black-helmet-nerite-snail-neritina-pulligera.html  but on the other hand, most of my snails can go unseen for days at a time, which isn't a worry with the Rabbits or Faunus snails, but if I add a Nerite snail, it could potentially get "stuck" upside down in a spot in the tank that I cannot see and could cause a potential problem...

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
If the places you cannot see have lots of plants or other decor the snail will be able to turn itself back over. I would say they need something to grab hold of up to an inch away from the edge of the shell. If you have spots wider than 2 inches across with no plant etc, it may have trouble, though that increases to 3 inches for big snails as they they are about an inch across.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 07:04:46 PM »
@fcmf  have you ever had problems with having to "rescue" Nerites after they've fallen over...?

I've only ever had the one nerite. As mentioned in https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-chat/think-fish-keepers-daily-news/msg39597/#msg39597 #1146, this has happened a few times, probably about 6 times in 11 months. The first 4 or so times were all due to him doing acrobatics off the filter outflow nozzle or a piece of wood or misjudging a plant leaf's capacity for weight, but he's much more careful now and tests out plant leaves with his feelers beforehand while I rarely see him on the wood. The last 2 times have been due to him losing grip when sleeping at the top of the tank - the first time I thought due to my shadow passing in front of him and therefore a protective mechanism but the second time happened while I was eating breakfast at the weekend and can't be accounted for by anything. There are lots of areas without anything close by for him to grab so I can only assume he's somehow managed to rectify his position or it's not occurred other than those times I've witnessed it happening.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 10:53:51 PM »
Well, it's official...  1 x Black Helmet Nerite Snail (Neritina pulligera) has been ordered...!!!

Chatting with a friend of mine earlier today and he was of the view that Nerites can right themselves if given enough time...  So much so, that he no longer corrects his...  Not 100% convinced that I'll have that same level of trust that they will do, but we shall see...  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 11:18:09 PM »
I think a fish will eventually do a bit of investigating of the upside down snail or will collide with it in a fight or whatever and this enables the snail to right itself.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:56 PM »
Definitely a good chance of that happening with the four sizeable Corydoras that I have, who all tend to blunder about knowing that whatever gets in their path will move or be moved, lol...   :D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
He has arrived...!!!  Lolol, and like a big kid that I am, I'm super excited...   ;D 

One Black Helmet Nerite Snail (Neritina pulligera) is in the house...!!!  A little acclimation going on right now, but will be introduced to his new home shortly...   :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sand Changing Colour"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 12:39:25 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 07:44:06 PM
by hobo
1 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 09:16:45 PM
by Sue
29 Replies
Last post May 05, 2016, 09:10:14 AM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2016, 09:58:02 AM
by Darren_lines
9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2016, 09:13:29 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 07:54:37 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: