Return To Tropical Fishkeeping

Author Topic: Return to tropical fishkeeping  (Read 21467 times) 151 replies

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Return to tropical fishkeeping
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 03:19:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Sue, Thanks for your reply. I used Interpet Filter Start. I have only had a very small increase in nitrates. ( virtually zero to 1.5 maybe 2 ppm. I shall dose the tank with more ammonia, later this evening.
Don't know whether to continue with the Filter Start or leave it out. It's supposed to be added every 2 days over a fortnight.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »
Thanks for your support Littlefish. I will definitely keep you posted. Nice to have people to share problems with.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
Since you have it, you may as well use it, though it may cause some odd readings. Even if it does have the wrong bacteria and it keeps the ammonia and/or nitrite levels low, there will be some to kick start the right bacteria. The 'wrong' species tend to function better at high concentrations so as the levels fall, the bacteria starve leaving the right ones to carry on.

But even if you get double zeros while using the filter start, don't get fish for several days after finishing the course to make sure the readings stay at zero without it.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »
Hi everyone. I've been testing my tank water nearly every day, in the hope that the ammonia will have started to drop. But so far, it has stayed at 3 ppm. for almost 2 weeks now.
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
PH 7.3
KH 5dG........same as it comes out the tap
GH 10dG......same as it comes out the tap

I would have thought that I would have had a drop in ammonia by now, or am I being too impatient?

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
best of luck

panda are delightful little fish!

:fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 12:43:12 PM »
I changed the filter in my betta's tank a few months ago and fishless cycled it first. The ammonia reading started to drop on day 28. And it was day 48 before I had double zero's after adding a full dose of ammonia. You just need to wait a bit longer.

Do you have any bicarbonate of soda in the cupboard? If you do (or go out and buy some) remove a bit of tank water and add bicarb at the rate of 1 x 5ml spoonful for every 25 litres water, dissolve in the bit of water and pour into the tank. That will boost your KH and hopefully help the cycle along. It will also increase the pH a bit. The filter bacteria multiply faster in higher pH, and they need a source or inorganic carbon - the bicarb. At the end of the cycle you will do a big water change which will remove the bicarb before you get fish.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
What temperature have you had the tank at during the cycle, @Trish?

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
OK Sue, Thanks. I will get some Bi- carb and give it a go. Fingers crossed!

Hi paddy, I've got the temperature at 29/30 as I've read that the bacteria colonise quicker at higher temperature.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
That's ideal temperature so it's not that...

Do you know anyone who you could ask to donate some tank water for your tank? I used Tetra Safestart to initiate the cycle in my first tank. I am now cycling a second tank and the only sources of bacteria I have used are the tap water (which should have tiny amounts, if any bacteria in) and the waste water from my main tank (hoovered from the gravel)

It sounds counter-productive as it's dirty water but I have been cycling for two weeks and I have had ammonia at Zero already. I'll be testing tomorrow to see if yesterday's full ammonia dose has dropped...

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »
Unfortunately, paddy, I don't know anyone with a fish tank. I have heard good things about Tetra safestart, but I am undecided whether to use it or not.

When my tank arrived, it had sponges, polywool, carbon and ceramic hoops in it. I have removed the carbon and will be replacing it with more biological media. I could have just bought more ceramic hoops, but decided to go with Biohome Plus, which is made of sintered glass and has a large surface area. The product also comes with some bacteria encased in gel "balls".that go into the filter to help start the cycle.

Whilst I remain sceptical, I will try it and see what happens. This should arrive on Monday. At least when the bacteria start to multiply, there will be more for them to cling onto.........that's the theory anyway!

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
Your scepticism on Safestart is justified. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you. It all depends on the handling from the lab where it is produced to the shelf you pick it up from. Extremes of temperature render it useless. I bought two bottles, both from totally different vendors so hopefully different supply chains.

However I also used mature filter media donated from a friend so it's impossible to pinpoint the secret of my relative efficient cycle.

The Biohome should be a worthwhile purchase and I've heard good things about the bacteria gel balls... Definitely get those in when they arrive.

It's so frustrating waiting on your test tube colours to come down, we're all with you hoping it happens soon  :)

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »
Thanks for the support, Paddy, much appreciated.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »
I use the Biohome ultimate - it's good stuff. It's been in my tank for a couple of years and I have zero Nitrate.
Having said that, I have less than 5ppm in the tap water, but I have an overcrowded tank.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
I used Tetra Safestart at the beginning too, and also tend to put a blob of it on new filter sponge on the rare occasion that I ever change that, with the new filter sponge in alongside mature filter sponge.  I do think it helped / helps and I don't think it can do any harm.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on my tank and a few questions.

No change in the water parameters all readings exactly the same as 3 weeks ago, when I first filled the tank (Sigh!)

Anyways, looking forward to when the tank has cycled, I have been daydreaming about what type of fish to get.
I want a peaceful tank and I am thinking of Cardinals, Harlequins and Corydoras in small shoals.
However, it would be nice to have a larger fish with a bit of character.

I like Angelfish, but presume that I can't have any in case they eat the others.

I would dearly love a Betta but opinions vary as to whether a Betta is suitable for a community.

Bolivian rams look gorgeous, but the community creator indicates that my tank is too small in length for one of those. It also says it's too small for Angelfish.  :(

Though my tank is only 55 cm in length, it is also  55 cm deep and holds 94lt. I was wondering if this would actually be big enough, despite what the community creator recommends?

I would welcome suggestions from other more experienced members as to what would make a suitable fish.

Another question I have is about the large water change that has to be done once the tank has cycled and is ready for fish.
Am I right in saying that I can't use a hose to fill the tank, as the water would be too cold and damage the nitrifying bacteria? ( I don't have a combi boiler and know that I cant use water from the hot water tank.)

Lots of questions, I know, and thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »
Fishless cycling can take a while, I'm afraid. Mine took 7 weeks when I cycled a sponge filter for the betta's tank earlier this year. Your KH (you said 10 deg) is plenty high enough, though if that was done with a strip test it might be worth getting a shop to test a sample of your tap water (not tank).

I'm afraid the tank is too small for angelfish. The smallest recommended size is 100cm wide x 40cm  front to back x 50cm tall. And Bolivian rams need a tank with a footprint at least 90 x 45 cm. Even allowing for your tank being square rather then rectangular, there still isn't a big enough footprint. Figures from Seriously Fish.

However, your tank is plenty big enough for a pair of apistogrammas; they need 60 x 30 cm minimum and your tank has a much bigger footprint than that. With bottom dwelling fish, it's the area of the tank base that is important rather than the length or height. Ignore the fact that the CC says the tank is too small; most 55 cm long tanks are only 30cm front to back, which is too small. The CC is programmed with standard tank shapes not square ones.
The hardiest and easiest to find in shops are cockatoo cichlids (Apistogramma cacatuoides) and Agassiz's apistos (A. agassizii) Both come in several colour patterns, though the females are always yellow. Because they are cave spawners, you would need caves of some sort, though they aren't fussy what they are made of - plastic ornaments, hollows in wood, even upside down terracotta plant pots with a hole cut in the rim. Even with just one female you'd need more than one cave to make them happy.
And your GH is fine for these apistos, though some of the rarer species need softer water (very soft!)
Read up on how to tell males from females.

You can use a hose to refill provided you add the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank right at the start and add a few kettles of boiling water as the hose is trickling water in. Not too much hot water, you don't want to overdo it. If you can contrapt something to hold the hose so that you can leave it, then pour the kettle water into the stream of cold water coming out of the hose, that would take the chill of the new water. The tank doesn't need to end up at 25o as soon as the tank is filled, just warmer than cold water.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »
Thanks Sue.
I have been looking at the fish you suggested and they look gorgeous. Just the type pf fish I was hoping to have.

I notice in the description of these fish, that the male is highly terratorial when breeding. Could this be a problem with the Corydoras?

Thanks for your tips on refilling the tank with a hose. I know it's not a big tank, but I am a 7st weakling with a touch of athritis and I had a hard enough time filling it up the first time round. A weekly water change won't be a problem as the tank is small.....one of the reasons I bought it. I would have loved something bigger but, this time round, I made sure my head ruled my heart! Last time I kept fish I had a bad caseof MTS and ended up with 4 tanks.

I will be getting the fish online from Kesgrave Tropicals, and will be putting them all in at once. Though, having been brought up on the old method of adding a few fish at a time, I feel quite nervous about it ;D

I feel nervous about getting the fish online too, but I don't have much choice in the matter as the only lfs I can get to easily, is P@H, and the fish they have are not in a good condition. The poor Bettas look particularly miserable.

Thanks again Sue, you have been a great help.

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »
I have kept apistos with loaches. In my experience the aggression is more from the female if they have spawned. Yes, they will chase fish that get too near the breeding site but none of mine ever actually made contact. They just swam straight at the intruder until it swam away.
Cories don't understand about territory which means they will wander back. But that is no worse than loaches which do understand about territory but can't resist a free meal when they see one  :-\

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »
Hi all.
Just looking for a bit of encouragement, as I am now on day 35 with no drop in ammonia.
I've read that the ammonia to nitrite cycle can take even longer :-[
At this rate, I'll be lucky to have fish by Christmas,lol!

Wonder why the cycle hasn't even started yet? I'll wait until Monday, and if there is no movement, I might resort to Tetra Safestart.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »
What was the water source you used to fill the tank Trish? And did you do anything to that water before it went into the tank?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Return to tropical fishkeeping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
by MikeAqua
16 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 02:37:28 PM
by Andy The Minion
0 Replies
Last post December 02, 2015, 09:07:00 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post February 18, 2016, 10:53:12 AM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
by Richard W
21 Replies
Last post January 23, 2020, 09:24:05 PM
by LeakysLab

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: