Return To Tropical Fishkeeping

Author Topic: Return to tropical fishkeeping  (Read 21465 times) 151 replies

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Return to tropical fishkeeping
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Paddy,

Yes, they really are lovely. They are getting bolder by the hour and exploring a bit more, in and out of the holes in the logs and swimming in the current, the Harliquins really seem to enjoy a strong current.
It's also quite funny to see such tiny little creatures "squaring off" to each other.
The worst culprit is the smallest of the Harlies. (Perhaps he thinks he has something to prove!)
He tried to chase off a Cardinal, then got a shock when the Cardinal turned round and chased him.

I have been sitting watching them for hours, and have got nothing done today. I'll let myself off though, as this is the first day of their new life.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2016, 07:26:38 PM »
Glad all's going well, Trish - the frenetic chasing behaviour at the start is indeed normal, often it occurs vertically up and down the glass, so don't be alarmed if you witness this. I've kept fish for years and their behaviour never, ever ceases to fascinate me - the individual behaviour of singly kept goldfish plus the social behaviour of groups of tropical fish.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2016, 11:03:11 PM »
That's good to know fcmf.

They haven't stopped darting around all day. I was trying to do a head count, earlier, and had to give up, and I've only got 8 of each!

I would like to add more fish, sooner, rather than later, whilst I have still got a good amount of nitryfying bacteria.
But I am a bit stuck as to what to get.
Ideally, that would take me up to three quarter stocked and then I would bide my time, and wait for the Corrys.
My original plan was, Harliquins, Cardinals and Galaxy Rasbora. But I now think that there would be too many of the same type of fish, all swimming in the same area.

I wondered about some Dwarf Rainbow fish, but I am worried that they may be too boisterous and upset the equilibrium.

Anyone, more knowledgeable care to comment?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »
You have what I would class as mid water fish.

Bottom dwellers include your corys, otocinclus (also need a biofilm), shrimp, dwarf cichlid (only get one in your size tank and don't mix with shrimp), gobies (though I've no experience of these)

For surface dwellers, consider hatchetfish, panchax, or maybe a gourami or group of sparkling gourami (bit more whole tank than the previous couple of suggestions but a different behaviour to your current fish).

I'm sure others will have comments on these and add their own suggestions, but I thought I'd get things started  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »
I'm a big fan of five-band barbs. They bounce around the bottom third of the tank, noseing around the substrate and generally being peaceful but I wouldn't call them 'timid' like the profile does. I've got eight; I started with six and there was a noticeable 'improvement' when I added a further three. One decided to die a year or so later, but the eight are lovely.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »
Hi Colin and Matt.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I like the 5 banded barbs and Gouramies. Unfortunately, I am limited to what the lfs has in stock.
They don't have any of the 5 banded barbs, but they do have Honey Gouramies. According to the fish calculator, I could have 6 of these and it would bring me up to three quarters full.

Anyone have any experience pf these fish?

Offline Sue

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
I have experience of both dwarf rainbowfish (I gave mine away because they were so hyperactive) and honey gouramis.

Remind me again, what is the footprint of your tank?
Male gouramis of all species are territorial so provided the tank is long enough and you have tall plants, real or fake, to break up the line of sight, 2 males & 4 females is do-able. Honeys are one of the least aggressive gouramis, but 2 males in a small tank wouldn't work. I once bought a 1m 2f trio and two weeks after I got them one of the females changed colour and was obviously male. The two males did not get on. However, this was in a 60 x 30 cm tank.
If the tank is too small for 2 males, 1m, 3f would work or you could go for 1m 5f.

What colour are the honey gouramis in your shop? They come in natural (tan males, grey-beige females; not seen that often these days), yellow (both males and females) and red (often called red robin gouramis). The natural coloured ones are easiest to tell the genders apart, yellow next easiest and red a bit tricky. I can tell you what to look for once I know the colour  :)

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply.

My tank is too small, I'm afraid. It's 55x55, but the filter, heater and pump are concealed all along the back of it and the compartment is 25 cm. Leaving me with only 30.

The Gouramies in the shop, by the way were a pale gray, except for one which was an orangey/yellow.
There were 3 large hyperactive catfish in the same tank as them and I thought that this was causing them to be stressed out, and that was why they were that colour.

As for the rainbows.....I don't want boisterous, hyperactive fish, a nice calm tank is what I want, so, thanks for that.

Back to the drawing board.

Offline Sue

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2016, 02:38:53 PM »
A 1m 1f pair is still do-able. This species can be kept as a pair unlike the more aggressive dwarfs and three-sot varieties. I've had more trouble with females squabbling than with a male harassing a lone female.
The photos in the profiles on here show the natural colour form of honey gourami. The male colouration, especially the black throat, is what they look like when they are not stressed, as they usually are in a shop tank. There they are usually quite pale with no black throat or maybe just a hint of different colour in that region. The photo of the female is typical, though some have a less pronounces stripe down the side.

If these are what the shop has, it is quite easy to choose; though it is easier if you can go with someone. Study the fish in the shop. Choose the most colourful one for the male. Choose the one with the most definite stripe for the female. Keep your eyes on the fish and send your companion to get an assistant. The fish will change colour as soon as the net goes in the tank. The male will become more drab and all the females will develop stripes. But as you have not taken your eyes off the tank, you know which fish you want  :)

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
Thanks Sue, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Meanwhile, my little ones look very happy.....lively, well coloured and eating.

I got some brineshrimp in a gel, made by Tetra. It doesn't have to be refrigerated and it is a bit expensive, but the fish loved it. It is packaged in small sachets, and once opened, only keeps for 24 hrs. It is still too much for my small tank, but someone with multiple tanks, could probably use the whole sachet in the time allowed.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
Frozen food is a good option.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
Hi Fiona,
Yes I also got some frozen bloodworm, New Life Spectrum 0.5mm sinking pellets and I am waiting for NLS flake to arrive.
Nothing but the best, lol!

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I returned to P@H yesterday, and following Sue's advice on sexing, picked out a pair of Honey Gouramies.

They really are lovely little fish, and have added a bit of variety in behavior and shape to the tank

When I first put them in the tank, they both disappeared. But after about 10 mins, the male appeared and started exploring and picking at the gravel and plants.

I didn't see the female all day yesterday, however she has come out from her hiding place today, and although, still a bit timid, is now exploring and "browsing".

I'm now, a little bit concerned about the male, as he has been pacing and shimmying up and down (vertically)  at the side of the tank. He isn't doing it all the time, sometimes, he will break off, for a gew minutes, then he goes back to it.

All the other fish, including the female gourami, seem fine.

I have tested my water and have no ammonis or nitrite, and approx 5ppm of Nitrate.

I hope I am right in just putting his behavior down to stress?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »
Congrats on the honey gouramies.

What you're describing about the male sounds exactly what I mentioned in my post #121 above - all my tropicals have done it when new in the tank or quarantine tank, and some of them did it when I made some major changes to the tank a few weeks ago. Such behaviour does calm down eventually. Your water quality sounds good, so at least that can be ruled out as a possible cause.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2016, 01:11:49 PM »
Thanks for that fcmf,

It makes me feel a lot better. Wish I wasn't such a worrier.  :-\

Im really happy with the tank and fish though.

The biggest surprise to me, has been the Cardinals. I thought that they would stay mainly at the top of the tank, swimming together. But, they are all over the place, and spend a lot of time browsing along the bottom, poking around.

Offline Sue

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »
There is one school of thought that says it's due to fish not being able to see the glass. In a new tank they don't know where the glass is, they have to explore it to  find out the extent of the invisible barrier. Once they become familiar with the tank, they have learned where this barrier is so don't have the same need to try to find a way round it.

Maybe?

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Yes, that does make sense, Sue.

Watching the male Gourami closely, he has his nose to the glass, as if he is trying to get out, and can't understand why.

Thank you for your help in choosing the fish, by the way. I would have been lost, otherwise.

There was only one fish that had any colour in the tank, all the rest were silvery grey. Some with stripes, some without. So choosing the male was easy. I then explained to the hapless assistant about submissive males pretending to be females, and how I wanted one with a stripe. She was very kind, but I could tell she thought I was some sort of a mad fish lady, lol.

She consulted someone in the back of the shop, who told her that there was a mixture of Red Honey Gouramies, and, quote - "ordinary ones" and that they were all male.

Anyway, I forged ahead and got the pair. She did say that if I had problems, I could bring one back.....not that I would want to, but it's good to have that option, just in case.

Offline Sue

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
P@H assistants aren't the most knowledgeable. They are mostly trained on how to sell fish. About 15 years ago I wanted a pair of dwarf gouramis, the natural coloured ones with red and blue striped male/plain silver female. The chap who served me assured me the pale blue one was a female and refused to accept it when I said it was a male so I asked the person on the checkout. She said I'd been given a natural male and a powder blue male and told the chap to swap the blue fish for a silver one. I wondered how many people had gone home with 2 males after he'd told them they had a male and female? I had done my homework so I knew he was wrong.

Even if your colourful one turns out to be a red female, you know that the silvery grey one is a female so you shouldn't have any issues with males fighting over territory. They just won't spawn.
Let them mature a bit and look at the long fins on the back and underneath. If they are very rounded at the tail end, the colourful one is a female red. If they are even slightly pointy, it's a male. This pointiness isn't always obvious in young fish which is why the red ones are harder to tell the sexes apart in shop tanks.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2016, 02:58:58 PM »
Hi Sue
The coloured one has a pointy ended fin along the back. ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2016, 03:12:18 PM »
Sounds like a male  :) It doesn't really matter what colour form he is so long as there is 1 male and 1 female.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Return to tropical fishkeeping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
by MikeAqua
16 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 02:37:28 PM
by Andy The Minion
0 Replies
Last post December 02, 2015, 09:07:00 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post February 18, 2016, 10:53:12 AM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
by Richard W
21 Replies
Last post January 23, 2020, 09:24:05 PM
by LeakysLab

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: