Author Topic: Re plants with brown stuff on  (Read 3548 times) 10 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re plants with brown stuff on
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
My plants are developing a brown slime on. Even the anubias I've had since June . Don't know what to do . I fertilise the plants , have the lights on all day they never seem happy !
Ally

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Re plants with brown stuff on
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:32:37 PM »
If it's like the brown stuff that grew on my plant leaves during the 3 months I was without fish this summer, it will wipe off easily. That's all I did. Since I got fish it has gone away. It's either the stiphodons eating it, or the nerite snails which I moved back in when I got fish, or whatever was out of balance while the tank was fishless has been resolved.

Sorry, that's not much help  :-\

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:41:40 PM »
Since I converted over from silk plants to live plants, I've also got this. I bought a toothbrush specifically for the fish :o - or, more precisely, the fishtank. :) The anubias' leaves are thick enough to tolerate one brush of each leaf during the weekly water change but the pennywort struggled to tolerate brushing it off ie it disintegrated. I also brush the leaves of the silk plants with the toothbrush as they're now covered in this too.

I'm trying to reduce the time the lighting is on for, to see if that makes a difference - this week's aim is to reduce them to being on for 8 hours (rather than 10), so I'll let you know if that's the "magic figure" or not for keeping the algae at bay, although it will depend on the actual lighting - ie it may involve some experimentation to find out what number of hours is optimum for keeping the plants alive but not getting too much algae.

Just to confirm that I do have fish in my tank but no algae eating fish or invertebrates.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
I have two snails but they aren't keeping on top of this . It does rub off with my finger , just didn't think I'd have to clean the bloody live plants ! I possibly have the lights on too long . 8am - 10 pm ish . Maybe I should reduce this .
I'm thinking of doing a big clean out of the substrate as last time I cleaned the tank at the weekend it's was quite cloudy.
Ally

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
I'd recommend reducing lighting to 10 hours.  Also:

Having just posted in your other thread I can now maybe see the problem...

Firstly in answer to your question regarding how often to do a thorough clean.. never!.  I do a thorough clean of a quarter of the tank each week and a general clean on the rest while I'm there. This way I don't have to risk removing items and deep cleaning then which can remove beneficial bacterial from the tank (similar to those in your filter) on these surfaces.  Also I just read:

Planting substrates are mainly designed to trap and slowly release nutrients to plant roots, and often come pre-loaded with food — that means ammonia. The moment you start trying to rake through them, you release those nutrients into the water column, and that in turn will lead to an outbreak of algae. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/2016/10/13/how-clean-is-your-bottom

Now to combine the threads and answer your question on algae... I would reduce your fertiliser dose simply because a lot of your plants are relatively slow growing, and your substrate is a source of nutrients and/or possibly releasing some into the water already making it easy to overdose in such a small volume of water.  This should help limit algae growth.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:07:36 PM »
Thanks so it's just algae then. It seems to go through stages of this , as it's also on the pump and heater . I'm probably overdoing the fertiliser weekly then ? How often do I you recommend I fertilise the plants?
I will also reduce the light on .
Ally

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 07:28:59 AM »
This is very dependent on the dosing instructions for your specific fertiliser and your tank volume though I'd recommend amending your tank volume down a bit based on the fact that you need to limit the algae growth as this will obviously result in lower dosing levels.  You might wish to use the dosing rate for a 15 litre tank for example or stop dosing all together and add it back in small increments until you find the right level for the plants without causing algae growth.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »
I agree with @Matt, the lighting period is far too long. I would recommend 8-10 hours. I'm currently at 8 hours and my tank is looking the healthiest it ever has.

You may also want to consider dosing with liquid carbon (EasyCarbo, Flourish Excel, etc) as these are mild algaecides and will also promote better plant growth. Faster growing plants like: Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila polysperma and Rotala rotundifolia, will use excess nutrients in the tanks and outcompete algae provided there is enough CO2 in the tank. By leaving the lights on too long, you deplete the CO2 levels in the tank and make it more favourable for algae to grow.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 08:15:58 AM »
All very good points, should you wish, you can also do a split lighting period with a 2 hour siesta so you see more of your fish in the evening and so CO2 can build back up again midday.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »
Ok
Matt at what time shall I turn off lights ?
10-12 noon ?
Ally

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »
Go for an 8 hour lighting period split into 2 4 hour sections with as much gap as you like. Timings up to you dependent on when you are likely to be around to see the fish, time the lights to be on for that time.  I'll be honest I've never done this myself... thats the theory though!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Re plants with brown stuff on "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post January 21, 2018, 04:17:28 PM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:49:26 PM
by Lynne W
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:05:43 PM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post January 30, 2019, 08:39:59 PM
by Matt
18 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 08:13:06 AM
by jaypeecee
2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 09:21:46 AM
by Emmdee
0 Replies
Last post November 15, 2019, 09:22:44 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: