Author Topic: Addressing soft water  (Read 4201 times) 14 replies

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Addressing soft water
« on: June 20, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@Paddyc  hi i'm looking for a calcium item but as i have some gravel already was looking more for a object to put in instead of the gravel you showed.

would you happen to know if these would work (amazon) 90-100G BROKEN CUTTLEFISH PIECES  -
can i over do it with calcium ?

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Re: Addressing soft water
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
@Paddyc  hi i'm looking for a calcium item but as i have some gravel already was looking more for a object to put in instead of the gravel you showed.

would you happen to know if these would work (amazon) 90-100G BROKEN CUTTLEFISH PIECES  -
can i over do it with calcium ?

Since it is essentially a chemical reaction, there is never any control over how much calcium is released into the water. Cuttlefish pieces aren't something I've heard of being used in aquaria yet, more likely used by birdkeepers for the birdies beaks....?

I would recommend limestone pieces if you are looking for an ornament rather than a calcified substrate... You get some very cool looking bits on eBay etc...

Sorry I can't give any advice on cuttlefish. Someone else might know more. Have you searched the forum for results showing  "cuttlefish"?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »
A bit of googling says that cuttlebone contains calcium (about 85% according to one source) but i have not yet found any mention of carbonate. It could be that is it a different calcium salt in cuttlebone, and you need to add carbonate as well as calcium.

I have come across posts on another forum saying that the various sources of calcium carbonate have a limited effect on GH and KH, only raising them by about 11 ppm, which is less than 1 german degree. This person advocates the use calcium and magnesium chloride or sulphate for GH and sodium and potassium carbonate for KH. But he doesn't say how much to use  :-\

I think I'd stick to chunks of coral or limestone and just have slightly raised GH and KH rather than risk overdoing it with the chemicals he suggests. If you make sure you change at least 25 of the water each week once you have fish, that will help too.

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »
thanks for the reply you two however all i seem to be able to find is very pricey big bags of coral (£30ish ?

would any limestone ornament work? don't want to waste money on something that wont work

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »
Can you find any Texas Holey Rock.... that will raise your GH from what I've read.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:06:18 PM »
That rock has another advantage. You can thread stems of hornwort through the holes. This is a lovely fine leaved plant that grows like crazy. The stems get longer and the older parts shed their leaves so I just clip the denuded stems off and reposition the good parts. The loose ends float upwards and would look good in your tall tank, imo.

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »
looks great but from the quick few searches for them the cheap 1s are just that cheap rip offs and real ones look like they are all in the £60 range which is more then i want to pay for a rock tbh.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »
Ouch  :o

That is almost the cost of the tank!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »
Hi Luke,

Look at pg 1 on this thread http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/new-fishkeepers/fish-tank-cycling-query/ and you'll see what a lump of limestone rock (Tufa) looks like - there's a pic of it in my hand - what's in my tank (54 litres) is about 1/2 of the size of this. Hope that's helpful.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:28:58 AM »
ooops - Sorry, luke, didn't realise they were that expensive. :-[

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:06:27 AM »
@ColinB  ;D not a problem shame though seeing as i liked the look of it a lot would have worked really well.

@fcmf thanks looks fine im guessing i could cover some of the base up to without a problem with gravel ? also  would you mind saying where you got it from as looking around for some (same as above) its very pricey and to big of a bag.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:36 PM »
Yes, you could use gravel as your substrate and then put a lump or some small lumps of this limestone (Tufa) around the tank or in the corners. I just got mine from a local, independent, aquatic/fish store.

Another alternative is to have coral in a muslin bag inside the filter - @Skittler does this. Take a look at his post in this thread http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/ph-high-or-low-range/msg25030/#msg25030 .

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Addressing soft water
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 05:01:49 AM »
@Luke I went through a process of trying to control hardness a while ago, I have the oposite problem to you (I didnt know it at the time) but I have gravel that isnt inert in slightly acidic soft water and so I have increasing hardness levels that then dip when I do a water change I realy wanted to stay soft and acidic but the fish didnt appear to mind so I decided to pretreat the feed water with sodium bicarbonate. I used a plastic rubbish bin and stored next weeks water in it so I could add soda and then test the result- you quickly find how much is needed and dont have to test. So this solved the problem of sudden dips however it didnt address the basic problem and the acid water still disolved the substrate and levils continued to rise.
I think this will  be the problem you face if the tank water is able to attach whatever you use to increase hardness it will be a slow and constant process with dips when the water changes. I would suggest removing the 'hardening agent' from the tank and just pretreat if you want to get good control over the process.
I have given up on the buffering now but still use the storage bucket as I can dechlinate, airate and match water temperature. Ultimatly I will change the substrate but that is a major task so it will have to wait for another compelling reason to ruin the decor :(

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 09:56:04 AM »
I have crushed coral in a muslin bag in the top level of my filter.

I bought it here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221592078546?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=520451346542&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't have any KH/GH readings to report because the tank has been running in this setup for only 6 days and I test weekly.

But I have *very* softwater and have been running pressurised CO2, and my pH hasn't dropped below 7.0 all week.

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 04:38:03 PM »
thanks for the idea about putting it in with the filter just ordered the stuff to give it a try.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Addressing soft water"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 06:52:42 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 06:43:43 PM
by Diz1
19 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 04:08:54 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2017, 01:05:50 PM
by Andy The Minion
13 Replies
Last post April 14, 2017, 10:07:57 AM
by Sue
19 Replies
Last post July 07, 2017, 05:38:10 PM
by mizuti

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: