Author Topic: quarantine tank  (Read 2952 times) 4 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
quarantine tank
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning all!

After my brush with whitespot, I've decided that I'm going to get a quarantine tank set up.
I'm not adding any more fish for a few weeks yet, as I want to be totally sure that this infection has gone, so hopefully I should have time to set up the filter etc.

If I've understood correctly, you put a sponge filter in the main tank on a permanent basis then lift it into the quarantine tank (using water from the main tank) once you've set that up. Is that right?

additional things I'd like to know, please, are:

1. I have very limited space, so would want as small a tank as possible. Given that I'd be getting young fish to add in, so smaller than eventual size, what's the smallest tank size I could get away with? Does it have to be glass? If anyone knows a cheap make that would do the job, would you mind letting me know?

2. can anyone reccomend a cheap make of filter and heater that would be appropriate – I have plastic plants, so they'd be OK I hope?

3. Most articles seem to suggest that you should have no substrate in the quarantine tank – this seems a bit spartan, especially if the fish are going to be in it for a couple of weeks. On the other hand, I can see that washing the substrate every time you want to use it might be a pain as well. What's the verdict, should I get gravel or something for the bottom?

Honestly, this is worse than having kids!

Diz1  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: quarantine tank
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
I can tell you what I do  ;D

I have a 25 litre tank, 45cm long. No light in the hood, just a plastic lid. With no real plants you don't need a light, and some medications say to turn the light off - a quarantine tank doubles up as a hospital tank. Mine is not a make. Just a plain 25 litre tank, even the sealant in the corners looks basic. I got it from a local shop.
Yes you can use plastic as long as you position the heater so it doesn't melt the tank.

I use plastic plants and 4 inch lengths of drainpipe as caves. Choose carefully, some types of pipe sink, others float. Mine are the stuff that takes the rainwater from the roof rather than water from the sink. If the worst happens and the fish in there die of some disease, plastic is easiest to sterlise with bleach.

Substrate. The main reason for not for not using one is that you can see the fish poo easier. Poo is often a good indicator that something is wrong - long stringy poo is indicative of intestinal parasites and internal bacteria infections. If you really do want to use something, a thin layer of sand is better than gravel as you can see the poo better.

I have an assortment of filters. I have a few Eheim Aquaballs (bought cheap off ebay) My main filters are an aquaball and a biopower so it's easy to swap media. I also have 2 rather old (and obsolete) Hagen Elite mini filters and in my betta's tank, a filter that would be suitable - and aqua-internal 50. The problem with that is that it's Maidenhead Aquatics own brand so that's the only place you can get them from. Both that and the elite minis have just a plain sponge (the aqua-internal also has carbon in a hollow in the sponge but I emptied that out!). The simplest thing is to forget about the small filter's own media, just take some of the main filter's media and squash it in when it's needed.
Don't forget you can leave the whole small filter running inside the main tank when the QT isn't in use, then just use the small filter when needed, no messing about with bits of media.
Be careful of the media inside a lot of small filters if you decide to use its media. They often have cartridges containing carbon and zeolite. These adsorb/absorb medications so can't be used in hospital tanks or QTs if the fish turn out to be sick.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
Thanks again Sue, as ever you're so helpful!

When you say the Hagen Elite mini filters, are those the ones that look like stingrays?
Also, by a thin layer of sand, do you mean just 2mm or so?  ???

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »
It was much better than the stingray  ;D .This. Small, adjustable flow, perfect for a betta's tank. They've stopped making it  :( and mine are just about falling apart. The replacement is one of those with nothing but carbon and zeolite inside  :vcross:

Yes, a couple of mm of sand would be fine. Just so you can't see the bottom - and I suppose the fish won't be able to see their reflections if that's what happens under water. I may have studied chemistry but not physics  ???

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
great, thanks Sue. Will look for something similar when next in LFS  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "quarantine tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 07:40:47 PM
by Puffin
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 04:02:08 PM
by Sanjo
4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 11:20:01 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
by fcmf
32 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 09:05:54 AM
by Lynne W
7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 09:08:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2020, 04:14:33 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: