Purigen

Author Topic: Purigen  (Read 9011 times) 11 replies

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
Purigen
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:00:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys

I have Purigen to put in my tank when it cycles but I know you have to be very careful about which water conditioner you use with it as it can render it useless or worse, toxic. The warning that comes with it states: "Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit."

The website goes on to state: "Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen® to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime® and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a Stress Coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™"

So, I have a couple of questions please:
1. As I have been using stress coat + which is amine based, how many water changes will it take to get rid of it so I can add the purigen to the filter?
2. As Prime is eye-wateringly expensive in the UK, I was going to use API Tapwater Conditioner as it is cheap and being just a basic declorinator, does not contain any amine compounds (as confirmed to me by API) - will this be OK for everyday use as well as to regenerate the purigen?

Any ones experiences with purigen would be very welcome, I just dont want to do something that will harm my fish.

Thanks
Kirsty

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bala / Silver Shark (5) - Congo Tetra (23) - Rosy Barb (17) - Golden Nugget Plec (2) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Tiger Barb (23) - Clown Loach (5) - Denison's Barb (7) - Black Neon Tetra (21) - Rummy Nose Tetra (15) - Panda Cory (4) - Fiveband Barb (10) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Yoyo Loach (3) - Denison's Barb (5) - Checkered Barb (7) - Cherry Barb (5) - Congo Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (13) - Zebra Danio (5) - Honey Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Bala / Silver Shark (7) - Tinfoil Barb (5) - Rosy Barb (13) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Congo Tetra (13) - Golden Nugget Plec (4) - Tiger Barb (17) - Ticto Barb (13) - Silver Dollar (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Jim

Re: Purigen
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
In theory a couple of 50% changes should get rid of enough of the slime coat protector, and after a couple of days the chlorine will gas off itself, barring any more chlorinated water being added.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »
I haven't used Purigen but I do use API tap water conditioner because I don't like those 'slime coat enhancers'. The only thing about that dechlorinator is that it does not detoxify ammonia, which itself is only a problem if your water company uses chloramine.
Just in case you don't know (and ignore this if you do  :D ) chloramine is a chlorine and an ammonia joined together. Dechlorinators split them up and remove the chlorine but leave the ammonia in the water. The filter will remove this ammonia but there will be some in the water till it has all been through the filter. Some dechlorinators contain a chemical to detoxify this ammonia till it has chance to get to the filter. API tap water conditioner does not do this. I have chlorine, not chloramine, in my tapwater, so that dechlorinator is fine for me.

The API stuff is also very economical. For tapwater will chlorine in it, the dose rate is 1 drop per 3.8 litres. I use 3 drops in my 8 litre refill bucket. I could probably get away with 2 drops but I am always wary of water companies deciding to overdose their chlorine.

Oh yes, I'll be a bit more cautious than Jim and say do a few more water changes. Two 50% water changes will only remove 75% (50% with the first one and half of the remaining 50% with the second)

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »
Prime may be expensive, but it goes a long way. Dosage is 5ml per 200 litres. You will need a syringe or pipette to measure the right amounts unless you have a ginormously mega large tank.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »
Hi Kirsty,
I have Purigen to put in my tank
Can you tell me WHY do you HAVE to put Purigen into your tank? Purigen "eats" ammonia produced by fish and therefore will be starving your filter bacteria. When Purigen goes saturated, you will have a situation when all that fish produced waste will not be dealt with because your filter bacteria will be dead because of starving... Purigen is very good - but mostly for Marine tanks. Freshwater tanks can have it but for very limited period of time to remove organics (e.g. only a few hours). Why do you want to kill the bacteria in your filter which you have carefully grown during cycling? It does not make any sense to me... As I said Purigen is a very good product - but for MARINE tanks where biological filtration is somewhat different to freshwater tanks...

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

Natalia, I have it because my tap water is cloudy from the tap (nice I know) which apparently isnt harmful but doesnt settle, so the tank water is always cloudy and the chap at my LFS recommended it as he always uses it.

Bala / Silver Shark (5) - Congo Tetra (23) - Rosy Barb (17) - Golden Nugget Plec (2) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Tiger Barb (23) - Clown Loach (5) - Denison's Barb (7) - Black Neon Tetra (21) - Rummy Nose Tetra (15) - Panda Cory (4) - Fiveband Barb (10) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Yoyo Loach (3) - Denison's Barb (5) - Checkered Barb (7) - Cherry Barb (5) - Congo Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (13) - Zebra Danio (5) - Honey Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Bala / Silver Shark (7) - Tinfoil Barb (5) - Rosy Barb (13) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Congo Tetra (13) - Golden Nugget Plec (4) - Tiger Barb (17) - Ticto Barb (13) - Silver Dollar (1) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
I should have done some research - I hadn't realised that's what purigen does. It's these antibiotics making my head feel a bit funny.
So using purigen is a bit like having zeolite in the filter.

Does your filter have any filter wool in it? That is the usual remedy for cloudy water - ie water with very tiny particles in it.
But I think I'd rather have bits in the water than insufficient bacteria.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
Hiya Sue and Natalia

I did some reading after your posts on the Seachem website that advises that although there may be some impact on the bacteria, it should not cause too many problems but I am a bit scared now! I have spent about £12 on this which I do not want to waste as I cannot afford it! I am however, far keener to get some filter wool. There isnt any in the filter currently, just some coarser sponges and ceramic media. Would filter wool clear this manky water?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
Filter wool may not remove the cloudiness completely but it should reduce it. Buy a roll of unbranded filter wool/floss (whatever the seller calls it, the stuff marketed for ponds is cheaper and you get a big roll) and cut it to shape. It should fit snuggly right across the water flow with no gaps round the side for water to sneak past. Put it last in the water flow direction so it polishes the water just before it returns to the tank. You may find it gets mucky very quickly. Filter wool doesn't wash very well, it goes into holes; just throw it away and put new in. If you change it frequently there won't be enough time to build up more than a few bacteria so you shouldn't get rid of many when you change it.

If you want to continue with the purigen, put it last in the filter. That way the ammonia will get to the bacteria before the purigen. That will do less harm to the bacteria than putting the purigen first, though I still wouldn't use it in my tanks.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
Hi again Kirsty,
I was thinking about your cloudy water from the tap and I have a few guesses / suggestions. First of all, I only went from the information from you so far so all my conclusions could be very wrong as I don’t know many of the details.
Firstly, you mentioned that your water is soft with the PH on the acidic side. So, I am ruling out any inorganic precipitation / stirred sediment / etc.  And this makes me totally wondering what on earth is in your tap water which is “safe for humans”, should be organic (soft water, so not too much of hardiness) and at the same time does not settle...  Surely, whatever that is should not be there?...
You said the cloudiness does not settle... Did you try pouring a glass of water from the tap and leaving it for a while? What happens? Often water comes out cloudy because of gas content – and if stood for a while it clears. If this is the case with the “glass of water” experiment, and your tank water is STILL cloudy, then I would suggest different reasons: high gas content in your tap water (high pressure in the mains) and something absolutely different in your tank – similarly looking cloudiness which is, in fact, a bacterial bloom...  That can be addressed pretty much “once and for all”. Can you comment on this please? I am sure Sue will have some suggestions. I like Chemistry but my University degree was in a completely different field and Sue is a chemist by education.
Another thing – I have gone through your posts and discovered that you wanted to keep live plants. If this is the case, Purigen will be your plants killer... Plants absolutely NEED Nitrates to survive (they are one of their essential “foods” – yes, plants do need nutrition as well!). Purigen will “suck” all those Nitrates starving the plants. So, no aquascaper (myself included) would ever use Purigen – unless there is an emergency (which, frankly, does not happen if everything else is done properly).

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
I am being a bit slow at the moment I'm afraid, my head isn't working properly (my husband would say that's normal  >:( )

I agree with what Natalia says. Cloudy water from the tap is usually sediment from the pipes (did your water company flush the mains pipes recently?) or gas in the water. My in-laws' water used to come out of the tap looking like watery milk but when allowed to stand it would clear from the bottom upwards.

If your glass of water test as recommended by Natalia shows the water clears on standing, then it's something in the tank itself. The usual culprits are a bacterial bloom (not the filter species but others which live in the water column) and dust from the substrate (what is it and how did you wash it before setting the tank up?). A bacterial bloom usually clears by itself once the bacteria have consumed all the available food, and dust usually settles out on the bottom after a while, but can re-appear when the substrate is disturbed during cleaning.

I always take LFS recommendations with a pinch of salt. What they use in their tanks is not necessarily what i want in mine. If the chap uses purigen in the shop tanks, that is completely different from use in your tank. He may be relying on chemcal filtration in the shop instead of biological so he has no bacteria to starve.

And listen to Natalia on the subject of plants. She is the expert there.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
Hi guys!  :)

I just want to say thanks again for taking the time to help me. My water seems to be filled with lots of little gassy 'bubbles'. Its like that all the time but out of the tap some days its much worse than others in that it is like you said, it looks milky but when left to stand, it clears. When I say clears it clears to the cloudy level it usually is! Having said that it definitely is worse at the moment which suggests it is likely to also be a bacteria bloom.

I think I wont dare risk the purigen, but I will try some filter wool as it cant do any harm. I will be keeping live plants and I honestly didn't think about the impact the purigen would have had on them so thanks for that point Natalia!  ;)

I will let you guys know how I get on!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Purigen"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
28 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 02:25:17 PM
by Paddyc
3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2017, 09:41:27 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: