Probably A Silly Question But....

Author Topic: Probably a silly question but....  (Read 4665 times) 6 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Probably a silly question but....
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
Probably a silly question but I have just bought some bunches stem cut plants for the tank and they had a small piece of foam with what looked and felt like a strip of lead to weigh them down.

Now I took the foam/lead away and plant the stems in twos and threes! was I meant to leave the foam/lead on to give them anchorage until they rooted.

Also I got my Juwel Air Diffuser this morning. Not too loud but have turned it nearly off but the tank is still full of tiny bubbles. Will this be ok for the fish when I add them after the cyclling?

Silly questions I know but if I don't ask I will never know. ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Probably a silly question but....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:04:55 PM »
Bubbles:
A lot of people run air pumps with air stones to create bubbles. They don't harm the fish so you should be OK with your diffuser. Some fish like to play in the bubbles form air stones  ;D

Plants:
One thing you need to know is that I am totally useless with plants, so listen to someone else if they say something different  ;D You do have to remove the lead and foam, that much I do know. But as for how to get the stems to root.......
I've taken the easy way out. I have java fern in all my tanks and anubias in one. You tie those to things rather than plant them. With hornwort I've wound the stems round a root shaped ornament to keep them in place. And I have a floating plant, salvinia. Those are about all the plants I can manage  ???

You might ask in the plant section, and ask there to make sure all your plants are aquatic ones. Shops do sell terrestrial plants for tanks, and they just die and make a nasty mess.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Hi Sue,
As for the bubbles I was asking as there seems thousands and thousands of them and wondered if there was too many,although it is a Juwel one....I actually like the bubbling noise as I find it a bit therapautic (my missus always said I was odd  ;D)

As for the plants you basically answered my question and that is what I did.
In one of the bunches there was about 8 stems and I planted in twos. I did read somewhere that stems will root in about 1 week, we shall see. At the moment they are staying where I put them and have not come adrift. So we shall see.

I got them from MA so should be ok but as for what they are called I have no idea, I just asked for some easy growing plants. I also already had some moss balls in there.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 04:56:33 PM »
I would post photos in the plant section to be on the safe side. It is quite common to find dracenas sold for aquariums and even spider plants.
We have several members who can ID the plants for you as well  :)

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
Thanks Sue,
Will do in the morning as the only camera I own is a DSLR and with one of my grandchildren here do not want to tempt fate. ;D

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
Hi Mervyn  :)

Your plants should root fine. Its when you try to add new plants with fish in the tank that they tend to come adrift! You have to keep shoving them back into the gravel for a while - sooner or later they'll take root before the fish manage to send them floating away!

It is advisable to rinse any new plants before putting them in your tank. Not only because they can contain unwanted hitch-hikers, but also to rinse off any treatments the plants may have been previously subjected to. If you get shrimps then I recommend soaking new plants in a bucket for a few days (changing the water regularly) before adding them to the tank. Some treatments used on plants contain copper, which is lethal to shrimps. I found this out the hard way - I lost all my shrimps after adding new plants straight to my tank  :(

PS. the only thing silly about asking questions is when you dont ask!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
Thankyou Chucklett.  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Probably a silly question but...."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 08:46:21 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2015, 10:44:46 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 10:28:52 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 10:25:42 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 09:02:14 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 10:08:04 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: