Platys !!!just A Couple Questions Please Help.

Author Topic: Platys !!!just a couple questions please help.  (Read 4494 times) 11 replies

Offline graygang

• Fishy Member
Platys !!!just a couple questions please help.
« on: August 31, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 A few days ago i bought 6 platys for my fairly new tank(been cycled for roughly 2 month 20 gallon with 4 danio) I picked up 2 males and 4 females a variety of colours and the moment I put them in my tank I loveD them . Any way they were all quite shy which is ofcourse natural after the stress of being moved but after a couple hours they were swimming about exploring all but one . Iv rairly seen her swimmin and shes like a ninja in the water impossible to find .I have seen her eat when she's out in the open and she can't b pregnant because she's too small. Anybody no what this could be ?                         ....also I did a water change yesterday and the gravel is filthy again ! Don't no whether to do another one tomorrow just to get some of the big pieces of poo up ?A couple of them.have had really stringy poo and a couple also have white poo I've read that this could be a bacterial,infection/disease .non are showing signs of illness othe than the one ninja Platy that I can never find . Any opinions or suggestions are much appreciated thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Platys !!!just a couple questions please help.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »
You are quite right that it is normal for fish to behave a bit oddly when they are first put in a tank. Some individuals take longer to settle than others.

White stringy poo is one sign of something a bit iffy inside the fish, from bacterial infections to worms. I do realise it is next to impossible with active fish, but if there is ever a moment when they stop swimming and just hang in the water can you see anything coming from the anus? One common type of parasitic worm protrudes when the fish is still, but goes back inside when it swims; this is camallanus worm and looks like the bristles of a child's paintbrush, only red.

The ninja fish - it could have been sick when you bought it. Though just because she is small doesn't mean she's not pregnant. They reach sexual maturity quite young, and she will be carrying sperm.

Platies, as I remember from when I had them, are poo machines. Be careful not to feed them too much or they will poo even more. Fish need a lot less food than you'd think.

Offline graygang

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 08:39:41 PM »
Thx for reply, and the poo is the usual size but just extra long and one was quite pale ,I red also there diets can have effect on the colour ,I noticed one eaten abit of algae on a rock and today his poo was sightly green , am I correct to think that is y ? Iv inspected if anythin was weird but it jus seems to be slightly white with two or three of them, I think il leave it a couple days n go back to my LFS on Monday and see if any of the platys in the same tank they were from have the same problem.

The ninja I think she probably is sexually mature but there's no bulging of the belly so I just assumed that but I am new to this but learning as much as my brain can take in lol also the biggest platy is the one with freakishly long poos that are slightly white ,she is quite active and er bellys qbit plump

I reckon il skip feeding tomorrow and do a water change the following day seeing as others mess all over the gravel, I don't think they'll get a chance to over feed swing as my danish are monsters at feeding times there like pirrana on a fallen bird

Thanks again for the reply

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
Is it just me or are a lot of our newly bought fish having problems with stringy white poo, maybe it's not that they are ill, but something the pet shops are feeding them or putting in the water?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
Gaynor - it wouldn't surprise me to find some shops had been feeding something odd  :(

Graygang - yes, platies will eat algae and it will make their poo green. Typical flakes (with red yelow and green in there) usually make the poo brown, bloodworm turns it red.

Offline graygang

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 03:03:47 PM »
Well hope they ain't ill ,recently lost a dwarf gourami and I got mad as he'll , I loved that little fella,my fish have become fam so il check on them later to see if there's anymore white long poo if so al speak to ma LFS n see what treatments I can get

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
Aha, another poo watcher ha!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline graygang

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
Found the ninja fish hiding in a crevice of an ornament, shes cam out but now she's just lying on the bottom of the tank not moving . Could  she stressed or ill ? The rest of the fish are fine and don't seem to be really botherin her from what I've seen

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
That doesn't sound too good. keep an eye on her and remove her as soon as possible if she does die. Eatig a sick fish is the most effective way of passing on disease. Unfortunately it is not unknown for one of a group of fish to die shortly aftre purchase.

Offline graygang

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
Got up today and she has died!! She had a greenish patch on one side with wasn't ther lastnyt ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 01:10:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about the death.

The greenish patch is probably not what she died of. Dead fish can get fungused pretty quickly after death.

Offline graygang

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »
Oh ryt ok. One of the danios is acting strange(not interacting with the other danios and is swimming slightly slower looks like he's twitchin slightly if that makes sence)but he has just ate . I hope he hasn't ate any if the dead platy! He was my first fish and him and another cycled my 20 gall the other past a while ago and I read that the fish used for cycling that survive have lower immune systems. All other fish are acting fine .did a 50 percent water change just the gravel was filthy !!! Off to my LFS now il let uguys no at they say

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Platys !!!just a couple questions please help."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 09:26:11 PM
by Digs1923
10 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:27:49 PM
by Sue
27 Replies
Last post September 24, 2016, 09:52:09 PM
by fruitbat
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post April 17, 2020, 03:49:18 PM
by Marcus_F
0 Replies
Last post January 02, 2024, 06:52:47 PM
by [email protected]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: