Phosphates And Brown Algae. Help Please Please. SOLVED

Author Topic: Phosphates and brown algae. Help please please. SOLVED  (Read 6442 times) 27 replies

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Phosphates and brown algae. Help please please. SOLVED
« on: April 25, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all. Im new to this forum and hoping for some advice please. I have a planted dwarf cichlid tank. I've always had phosphates. I can't seem to get them down.  They are  just over 1,0mg/l . I do weekly water changes of about 20% and try to clean bits off the sand. Ammonia 0 and nitrites jusr about 0 and nitrates about 20 at the mo.  Ph 7.5. I've changed my light to t5 from t8 for my plants and there on 10 hours a day max. Just started using liquid c02, iron and fertiliser. But I've had brown algae growing on my plants for a while and it's doing my head in looking at it lol.... this is why I changed my lights etc. Some people have said you can put a phosphate remover in but others have said don't.  It's always contradicting advice.  Should I put a remover in you think?? Will it effect the other treatments I use?  I watched a u tube video of someone using phosguard salts?? In a bag and then in the filter. Can anybody help me please.
Thank you
Maria

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Phosphates help please please
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
Hello and welcome.

How long has the tank been set up?

Brown algae (brown Diatoms) are very common in newly set up aquariums and will usually disappear after a few months.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »
Have you checked the phosphate level in your tap water?  There's 2mg/l in mine!
I wouldn't think that 1mg/l is excessive.

Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »
From my reading, it would seem that phosphate in planted tank should be between 0.5 and 2ppm, which is where your level sits. Yours does not appear to be considered high. In fact, if phosphate is too low in a planted tank you get green spot algae.

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Oh brill thank you for all your replies it's appreciated.

Thats good to know sue thankyou.

It is a Farley new set up. Think it's been 8 to 9 weeks.  I did a fishless cycle with a prawn. It was cycled after 4 weeks. 

I haven't checked my tap water yet. I will do in a mo though.

Maria

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 09:50:18 PM »
Welcome along, Maria, look forward to hearing of your progress. I'm fairly new to this - especially with planted aquariums - and I have a feeling I will learn something from your thread here so I will watch with interest!!

I hope you enjoy the forum  8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 10:10:56 PM »
Hi Maria and welcome to the forum.  :wave:
I'm only just starting to plant a tank, after having artificial plants in all of my current tanks.  :)

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:19:40 PM »
Hello to you too and thank you. I do like real plants plus good for the tank including helping with nitrates. I hope it goes well for you. I've just ordered some new plants today. Also just waiting for an external filter to come as got internal filters at the moment but i don't think there doing a good job.  Good luck with it all
Maria

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »
Welcome along, Maria, look forward to hearing of your progress. I'm fairly new to this - especially with planted aquariums - and I have a feeling I will learn something from your thread here so I will watch with interest!!

I hope you enjoy the forum  8)

Thank you. Hope it all goes well for you. I think these sites are really helpful.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 10:48:55 PM »
High Maria and welcome to the forum. My tap phosphate is 4ppm so I do struggle with brown algae. However as your tank is so new and your tap phosphates are so low I wouldn't panic yet.

You've probably found that some of the spikier, fluffier plants are getting killed off by the brown algae or just end up looking dreadful. There are chems to remove phosphates and they do work, however they are expensive and with your phos at 1ppm I think you just have new tank syndrome. I think once your tank has matured you'll find things settle down, give it 3-6 months, an external filter will help as it'll filter off a lot of the brown algae. If not there are things that will help.

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 07:26:55 AM »
Hi thank you for your reply. Wow 4 and here's me thinking mine wasn't good. Not one of the fish shops has advised me that there will always be phosphate plus that you need a bit.

That's good news about my external filter.  I was hoping it will help with the algae.  The 2 fluval internal filters I feel just arnt cleaning the water enough. I've never had crystal clear water either but think the wood contributes to that.  I am really looking forward to getting the external running on the tank. Just hope I don't look much bacteria when adding it. I'm going to either try fit both filters old media into the eheim filter or fit 1 of the filters media and leave that filter out and leave the otger one running. I'll wash all the new media out if the eheim in some tank water too.

Fingers crossed I don't start a mini cycle   :yikes:

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
OK Ive tested my tap water and that explains things.  It's inbetween 1 and 2 mg/l    :yikes:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
As Sue says that's not too bad  ;) You should hopefully be able to fit your mature media in the new filter. I've just swapped from an internal to an external and although it did trigger a mini cycle it only last for 2-3 days. I was very pleased with it's effects on water clarity.

I've learned to live with brown algae as annoying as it is. I got some nerite snails first as they eat it and a few months ago added some fish specifically because they eat it too an that has made a difference. Every now and then I knock it off the plants.

What size tank do you have by the way and what fish? I'm sure we'd all love to know. Piccies of your tank would be great to see, we have a gallery showcase thread where people post pics.  :)

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
Hi Sue. 

Oh that's good to hear. I feel better about the phosphates now. I'll just learn to live with it too. Good news about your filter. Hopefully that's how mine will go.  I'm so hoping it comes today.

I've got a 125 litre tank. It's got mainly dwarf cichlids such as rams . I've also got a t bar in the which I love. He's my favourite.  He's so placid bless him fingers crossed it stays that way. Got a sword tail in there. A nugget plec abd couple of loaches to eat any left over food but I am conscious about over feeding so I'm careful.  I've had fish on and off over my life but it's been a few years and this time I've done a lot of ready and learnt a lot more about bacteria and cycle etc. I'm enjoying all the learning.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 10:24:35 AM »
A lovely tank!  :) Thank you.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
Fantastic tank. It looks great and your fish are not shy of the camera.  :cheers:

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 11:03:48 AM »
Lol....  :rotfl: thank you. Their always there as soon as you go to the tank.  :fishy1:

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »
Great tanks and some very bonny fish. I will eventually be adding a few dwarf cichlids to my community but I want to grow the numbers of my 3 shoals of neons, harlequins and cherry barbs first.

The external filter I have in my 180 litre tank is superb and although I realise my tank is quite immature the water is crystal clear despite a teething issue with brown algae. I will hope to remedy this with new fine filter sponge material changed regularly and agitating the brown algae.

The snails I have recently added might also help with this as well.

Keep us posted  :)

Offline mazzamoo

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »
I love cichlids. I had discuss and parrot fish in the past. So far I'm lucky with the fish I've got as they all got on well. (At the mo) . My eheim experience 150 filter is hopefully being delivered tom. I've had the eheim classic in the past. I don't know what the difference is really. There isn't much on the internet about the experience.  I tried to watch some videos or how to set it up on u tube but I couldn't see any videos.  :-[. I think my tank water needs an external but I won't lie I do worry about them leaking or siphoning the tank out. I am a bit of a worrier  :-\. I have read eheim is good and less leakage than the fluval which I was originally looking at.
I hope your snails help with your algae. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 04:47:53 PM »
Looking at Eheim's website, the main differences between the Classic and Experience is that Experience has baskets to put the media in, but you still have to suck the tube to start it.

If you are worried about leaks, stand the filter in a bucket  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Phosphates and brown algae. Help please please. SOLVED"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 04:47:20 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 04:50:32 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:39:30 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2018, 05:28:19 PM
by Sue
42 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 10:55:34 PM
by TopCookie
20 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 09:43:59 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2019, 06:22:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: