Ph Results In Cycling Tank

Author Topic: Ph results in cycling tank  (Read 3096 times) 6 replies

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Ph results in cycling tank
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all I'm in the middle of cycling my tank, I'm pretty sure it's almost done. I decided to run a ph test I'm using the Hagen testing kit which I'm finding good so far, I just want to check what my results mean as I don't know really whether they are good or bad.

Low range 7.6
High range 8.2

Any advice on what these results mean in terms of keeping fish will be greatly appreciated as at the moment they mean nothing to me.

Cheers

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Ph results in cycling tank
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
The low range test only goes up to 7.6. Anything higher than that still shows the 7.6 colour. Your true pH is shown by the higher range test at 8.2. You have alkaline water.

You also need to know your hardness as that is more important than pH when it comes to choosing fish. You should be able to find that information somewhere on your water supplier's website. There are several units they might use (a bit like feet & inches or metres for length) so you need to tell us which unit they use as well as the number.

Once we know your hardness we'll be able to suggest fish that will like your water.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
The hardness Clark in my area is 13.63 if that makes sense. There is also a German or a French one as well which are 10.91 and 19.48 respectively.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
It does make sense. There are five units in total!

In fish keeping, only two units are used - german degrees, sometimes written as dH, and ppm (also called mg/l CaCO3). These are the units you will see in fish profiles.

Your german deg are 10.91, so call it 11. In ppm, that's 194.8 so call that 195ppm. Those numbers fall into the top end of moderately hard (using the scale from my water company)

In summary your water has:
pH 8.2
Hardness 11 german deg (dH)/195ppm; moderately hard.
These are the figures to use when looking at fish profiles.

One other thing to check - that pH of 8.2; was that freshly run tap water, tap water that has stood 24 hours or tank water? If it was freshly run tap water, can I suggest you leave a glass of water to stand overnight then test it. It will probably be different from freshly run, and is a more accurate pH. And your tank water has had some weird chemistry going on during cycling.

As for fish, you need to avoid those that must have soft acid water, and those which must have harder water than you have, though the latter only really applies to Rift Lake cichlids. The easiest way to proceed is to look in a few local shops and see what's available in your area and what you like. Write down the names, including the latin name if they give it. The come home and look on seriously fish. They give the water requirements and tank size of a lot more fish than in the fish profiles on here. Sometimes they give the hardness in ppm, sometimes in dH or oH, which is why I converted your hardness.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
Thanks for your great reply as usual. Yes I let my water stand for 24 hours first as I'd read on here that was the best way to get a reading. I assume I cannot really change the hardness of the water without bringing it in from somewhere else? My local shop is sweet knowle aquatics which I'm told are very good so will have a look what they have.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
The way to change your hardness, and pH to some extent, is to mix your tap water with RO (reverse osmosis) water. That is water that has had all its minerals removed. But you would have to make sure to use exactly the same ratio of tap:RO at every water change. If you decide on this route, now is the time to do it. When you do your big water change at the end of the cycle, refill at your chosen ratio.
The way to decide on the ratio is to get some RO water and a GH tester. Then experiment, mixing the two waters in a bucket, till you find out how much of each gives you the hardness you want.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
Ah that sounds a bit too far for me at the moment. I think for now I will get used to keeping fish and if I decide later the water hardness is holding me back I will look to do something about. Plenty of nice fish for me to choose from for now I think.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ph results in cycling tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
67 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 10:04:32 AM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 10:19:19 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 06:47:08 AM
by LeakysLab
0 Replies
Last post February 11, 2020, 07:28:13 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 09:48:39 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: