Partial Water Changes.

Author Topic: partial water changes.  (Read 3405 times) 5 replies

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
partial water changes.
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
when doing a partial water change in my 90 liter tank i take 30 liters out of my tank and then add 30 litres of treated water to replace.
at the moment i have been adding enough of the water treatment solution for the  30 liters  i replace. is this correct or should i add enough for the whole 90 liters?
i am wondering because people say the effect of some treatments only last for 24 hours.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: partial water changes.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
Dechlorinators (I assume that's what you mean) remove chlorine, or if you have chloramine in your water supply they split that up into chlorine and ammonia and remove the chlorine part. Some also contain something to detoxify the ammonia from chloramine, and this is what only lasts up to 24 hours - but by that time your filter bacteria should have removed it. The chlorine removing bit does not stop working after 24 hours.
My water company uses chlorine so I use a dechlorinator that doesn't have anything to remove ammonia.

Dechlorinators usually also contain something to bind heavy metals. This is only really important if you have invertebrates as they are sensitive to copper, which this chemical removes.

If you refill the tank with a bucket, add the amount of dechlorinator to each bucket at the dose for 1 bucketful, so the water is pre-treated before it goes in the tank.
It's when you add the dechlorinator straight to the tank that there are differences of opinion. It used to be said that you added enough to treat the whole tank as the water in the tank will contain dissolved organic chemicals (DOCs) which will react with some of the chlorine removing chemical, and you need to make sure enough is left for the chlorine/chloramine in the new water. But others say that only one dechlorinator actually says to do this, and that's Seachem Prime. All other dechlorinators should be added at the dose for the new water only. I have been told off on another forum for saying to add enough for the whole tank volume as someone did this and it made their fish sick.
My dechlorinator is a bit ambiguous. "Add 1 drop for each US gallon (3.8 litres) of aquarium water." I use a bucket and add 2 drops of dechlorinator to my 7.5 litre bucketful. Should I be adding enough to treat the whole tank volume despite adding it to the bucket? I have emailed the company but the reply was very ambiguous as well.

Maybe email the manufacturer of your dechlorinator, telling them how you refill (add to bucket or straight to tank) and see what they have to say.

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
thanks sue,i
i add 1ml to 9 litres for a measured dose. i will email them as i only started using this manufacturers product today.
i cant imagine having to redose the whole tank every 24 hours! but you never know.
in the meantime i will carry on as i am, the fish are all healthy, three weeks in to a fish in cycle and no fatalities yet.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
thanks sue,i
i add 1ml to 9 litres for a measured dose.

I've been dosing at this level (into the bucket, not to the tank) and haven't seen any problems at all.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
You never have to redose dechlorinator between water changes. The chemical that removes chlorine and the chemical that binds heavy metals don't wear off.
As I said before, the only thing that wears off is the bit that detoxifies ammonia. But that doesn't matter. If the tank is cycled and chloramine in tapwater is the source of ammonia, the filter will have removed it before the chemical wears off. And you have ammonia in the tank because it is cycling with fish, water changes are far better than a chemical to detoxify it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
I have moved this thread here from General Guidance as that is to explain how to use the Review section.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "partial water changes."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:47:20 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 11:16:12 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 12:11:06 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 10:22:29 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: