OMW Very Fat Endlers

Author Topic: OMW very fat endlers  (Read 5144 times) 13 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
OMW very fat endlers
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
These guys are grazing on algae like there's no tomorrow, one of them is almost rotund but there's nothing I can do to stop them as its growing on my plants. Is this going to cause problems? Advanced notice would be good because I'll be ready.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
Re: OMW very fat endlers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:14:03 AM »
These guys are gourging themselves, the lights are off and they're still bloody eating!  :yikes:

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
Haha don't worry, my endlers grazed constantly too!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
It's normal  :) They will be eating algae and other micro-organisms off the leaves and decor. Unlike bettas, I don't think they eat themselves to death  ;D  And yes, I've heard of a betta which ate so many shrimps in one go that it died  :-\

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
Phew I've been so worried about them over eating, thankee folks and I'll file away that betta info Sue because I'd like to have one of those in a tank in my bedroom at some stage. They have some real beauties in my MA atm, they're so graceful and serene looking. The fins lookde rather ragged but there was a sign over one tank saying that specific breed of bettas has fins like that naturally. Is that correct?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:07:04 PM »
Google crowntail betta and look at the images that come up. If that's what the fish in MA look like, they are crowntails.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:38:06 AM »
Sue getting back to my endlers for a moment I really am getting worried, some of them have eaten so much their 'back vent' for want of a better word seems to be permanently open and they still  wont stop eating. Its been a struggle tonight to sneak food to my other fish without these guys trying to grab it. I've just put food in for the ottos and they're eating that too!! Is this me worrying too much? They're like a little mini  finny plague of locusts and thats just 6 of them.

I so need some calming advice on this

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
Tricky one. You can't not feed the tank because of the otos. And the endlers are eating algae anyway, so withholding food won't help either. The only thing I can think of is to get one of those fry nets that hang on the side of the tank and put the endlers in that for a couple of days - or at least the one causing concern. Make sure you cover the net as fish can jump.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »
Thanks Sue, I knew you'd come up with something. I'll order one from amazon and until then see if I can net that one at feeding time, then he can just algae graze after.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 01:52:29 AM »
I found a dead endler in the bottom of my tank tonight and it wasn't the one I was worried about. I've no idea why he died, there's no sign of disease or damage. I've been testing the water every 12hrs since I added them and the chem results are all fine. All the other fish are fine, including my constipated friend who is now looking a lot slimmer and very relieved. The little dead guy is in a bag in the fridge and I'll take a piccy of him tomorrow an email it to my MA shop. I guess its just one of those things this time.

BTW I was worrying needlessly about my Indian Glass Fish maybe eating the Endlers, they may be small but they're fiesty and if anything they're bullying my Glassies, I saw one peck George on the nose today and he zoomed off to the back of the tank. So much for peaceful community fish...I think my bigger tank may have to happen sooner than I'd planned or a same sized tank just for the Glassies to mooch around in. Any suggestions?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
Endlers aren't usually aggressive, just active. Unlike guppies they chase each other but don't make contact. I suspect the one that pecked the other fish was just curious. Of course there can be rogue fish in any species but they are most likely to be settling in and exploring - their new environment and the other fish.

I would put the fish death down to 'one of those things'. It is not uncommon for at least one of a new batch of fish to die. They have been through a stressful journey to your tank, and some fish don't cope very well.

Glass catfish tend to be timid fish. The endlers might be just too boisterous for them. A bigger tank with placid tankmates would be a good option for them.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »
But these are Indian Glassfish, not glass catfish, I think, completely different family.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
Ooops, forgot the saga of Fiona's son coming home with dyed Indian glass fish  :-[

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
I've found the Indian Glass fish to be quite agressive at times towards each other and occasionally towards the glowlights but they do shoal quite happily most of the time. The dyed ones have hardly any colour left in them thankfully, that and the fact that they're also well fed I'm sure has made them feel so much better. Maybe they're only peaceful because they're so weakened and stressed by the dying process and they're only just starting to exhibit natural behaviour? The natural form I managed to get have always been a bit feisty.

Would be just my luck to have a rogue endler btw  ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "OMW very fat endlers"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
87 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 04:49:26 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 05:51:02 PM
by Cinders
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 11:20:09 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: