Noisy Outlet (constantly Needing To Pee!!)

Author Topic: Noisy outlet (constantly needing to pee!!)  (Read 11723 times) 15 replies

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
Noisy outlet (constantly needing to pee!!)
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello,

My first post on the forum so please be kind :D

I have revived my Juwel 60 Rekord when a friend asked if we could help her as she was overstocked with guppy's!  It now contains guppys, neons and a few amano shrimp for housekeeping.  I used to keep this tank in an office or dining room and so never really noticed the noise of the outlet.  But now we have downsized the house and the tank is directly behind where I sit each night I am accutely aware of the constant noise of running water coming from the outlet.  I have considered using the diffuser that Juwel sell but I don't think it would make any difference. 

Can anyone suggest any way of quieting down the outlet.  Clearly if it could be ran just under the water surface, enough to agitate but not sound like a tap filling a bath, it would solve the problem.  But other than a 'heath robinson' affair with gaffer tape and plastic tube I can't see a way forward.

Hope someone can help.

thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Noisy outlet (constantly needing to pee!!)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
Can I ask exactly what your filter is like? I have a Juwel rio and mine looked like this
http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/More/Filtration/Filtersystems/Filter-Bioflow-3-0-Bioflow-3-0.html
though I removed it shortly after I got the tank.

With mine, the filter was almost completely underwater, only the top edge stuck out. The outflow certainly was. If you have the same filter, is the water deep enough? Mine had an angled tube that you connected to the outlet hole and you could rotate the tube to get the water flow pointing wherever you wanted.

But, I did remove mine because of the very loud humming noise. I even got a new pump in the hope that it was a faulty one although the shop said it wasn't. The humming was loud enough to keep us awake in the bedroom above the tank.

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »
Hello Sue, thanks for replying.

I think my tank is a little on the old side!  I have had it from new quite a few years back and only recently had to replace the pump as it conked after many years continuous service.

My set up has a pipe running from the pump, up to a grill where the outlet pipe pumps water through and back out into the tank.  I have included a few picture links to try and help.  To make things clearer I have raised the outlet pipe from the casing.

Ordinarily it sits just about water level pumping water through the grill.

Hope the links work.

I used to have a Rio too and had the same arrangement you described.  It seems that Juwel like having outflows that break the surface tension - good for oxygen but does tend to send you somewhat bonkers!   I replaced it with a Fluval set up.  Rather not have to spend more on this setup though. :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
It's a bit hard to see from the second photo - does that tube that you show sticking up in the first photo go through a hole in the outer casing and clip onto the outlet of the actual pump?

I have to say that I never had a waterfall noise from my Juwel filter, just a horrible loud hum. I used to point the black tube at the glass rather than the surface though.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »
I too had a filter like that but it sounds more more Sue's, the outer casing had/has a hole part way down from the top and the outlet comes out of there so it is underwater, and as sue says mine too came with an angle piece that I could/can direct the flow.

I still have it but it isn't in use at the moment.

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
Hello both Sue and ColR1948

The pump is a Juwel 280 (not bioflow) like this one

The pipe that you can see raised in the first photo is pushed straight down into the casing of the pump and the whole lot sits at the bottom of the large black box that also holds the heater and filter materials. The pipe is then level with the grill in the main setup casing.  It then projects the water through the grill that can be seen in the first photo below and slightly to the left of the pipe (the angle of the picture makes it look like they are misaligned but they are actually in line when everything in the proper place.  The water is up to the mark that the manufacturer says it should be.  There is no hole in the casing like there is sometimes in the Rio setups.  I looked at my angle piece from my old Rio but its way too big.

As a set-up it works really well and the pump handles things okay.  It's just the water torture!!!

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
Is there any way of attaching a tube to the top outlet to send it underwater?

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
That's the route I was thinking I would need to take...was hoping that someone may know of an attachment or after-market "add on" though that would do the job for me rather than pipe and tape :-[

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
I've just looked on Juwel's website at that powerhead, I've not come across it before. It looks like a right fiddle to clean it if you have to take out all the media and the separation wall!

It mentions a water tube and the diagrams show a narrow tube with a right angle bend at the top, which by the looks of it fits inside the casing when the powerhead is pushed right down. It also says 'if you use it', refering to the tube. That's the tube pouring water out in your first pic? What happens if you don't use it? Does the water flow properly? Since the on-line manual for the pump says it's optional it should work without the tube, maybe that wouldn't be as noisy?

Just how wide is this tube? Would it be possible to use something else, something shorter and bendy so you can stick the end out of the hole at the side of the filter box? Depending on the thickness, anyhting from airline tubing to the tubing you get with a siphon tube, or even a siphon tube from a wine making kit (see Wilkinsons) which would be thinner than a fish tank siphon tube.

You realise I'm clutching at straws here  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
It mentions a water tube and the diagrams show a narrow tube with a right angle bend at the top, which by the looks of it fits inside the casing when the powerhead is pushed right down

Thats the fella!  I have searched the Juwel site and cannot for the life of me navigate to the page that has this style of pump - everything shows for the BioFlow system. Could you provide the link to the page you are looking at please.

It also says 'if you use it', refering to the tube...What happens if you don't use it? Does the water flow properly? Since the on-line manual for the pump says it's optional it should work without the tube, maybe that wouldn't be as noisy?
I have never run it without the outflow pipe - something in me makes me always follow instructions! ::)

Would it be possible to use something else... anything from airline tubing to the tubing you get with a siphon tube, or even a siphon tube from a wine making kit...
You realise I'm clutching at straws here

Hey, so am I! ;D  I just know as soon as I produce tubing and tape I shall receive comments so hoped there was something else that could be done.

Thanks for all your contributions though. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:33:31 PM »
How to find it:

www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk

hover over 'service' and click on 'download centre'

You'll now get a series of boxes, the next one only appears when you've made a selction in the first.
choose your language, choose 'filtration', choose 'pumps', choose 'pumps' again. Finally you get the download called 'manual pump 280'

or go straight here
http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/out/media/en/Pumpe_280.pdf

I dislike these new websites. The old Juwel one, and the old Eheim one, were much easier to find your way around. And not only did they tell you about the current tanks, filters etc, they used to have a section for obsolete parts.

My rio had a pump that sat at the top of the filter. That's why I was having trouble working out your problem  :) Maybe they've dedided there were too many problems with that style pump and they've designed this new one to overcome them. Perhaps I wasn't the only one with a loud hum, and they got fed up of complaints  ;D

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »
Thanks for all your help Sue, once a solution is in place I'll post a picture!

;)   8)

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
I must confess to being a bit confused about your pump. The filters on Juwel's website all show the kind of pump I used to have. Look at this
http://admin.juwel-aquarium.de/out/media/Pumpen_bioflow.pdf
I've got my old filter out of the cupboard. The pump says Pump 600 GB on it. My pump housing looks like the right hand side of the flow chart on page 1 (the side labelled Typ 400 etc). Scroll down to page 4 of the link, and that's what mine looks like. As you can see, the pump fit at the top of the filter. The divider has a tube running down one side of it, and the pump clipped onto the top of the tube.
I got my tank in 2006. The tube attached to the divider runs the entire length as shown on page 4 of the link. The newer design came in shortly after I got mine, and the tube starts a few inches down the divider - see page 3 of the link.

The divider in the manual for the pump you have does not have a tube attached. There is a holder in the bottom of the filter than the divider slots into, and the pump slots into the holder as well.

Can I ask, does your divider have a tube attached to it? I can't see the top of a tube in your pics, but it could be that you have the newer type than mine with the tube starting a couple of inches down (like page 3 of the link)

In other words, I'm asking if you bought the correct replacement pump?

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »
Hello,

The pump that came out was a 280GB and the replacement is also a 280GB - they are identical when placed side by side so the pump is correct. As the original came with the tank from new I assume it is the correct one for a Rekord 60. The outflow pipe does not connect at all to the dividing wall - it is held in just the pump in a tight fitting hole and pushes the water from the bottom to the top.  The 280GB is different to the Bio-flow which appears to have replaced the 280GB.  The pump at the top design named Bio-flow seems to be the newer one - which is where my problems with information comes from.  All the older info looks to have been removed from the website.  I agree, the Rio has the pump at the top arrangement as my first 'big tank' had one - but it was a very different beast.  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
In that case, I'm totally out of ideas I'm afraid.

Though....
You say it sounds like a waterfall, so is the end of the tube above the water level? I notice from your pics that the water is below the red line on the side of the tank - and it also looks like there is a bigger gap at the front, meaning the tank is on a tilt. It could just be perspective on the photo  :)
If the water level is below the red line, filling it up to the line might help.

Offline Scooter User

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
I wondered if that would be mentioned  ;D

The water level goes back to being just slightly over the red line when the filter etc is pushed into the proper place.  Also, the tank is perfectly level...the sticker is slightly wonky (Juwel worker obviously in a bit of a rush that day).

The pipe remains above the water line even when it's filled dangerously close to the lighting tube in the hood.  Don't worry - I appreciate you taking the time to try and help.  At least now I can say I have asked around.  Like I said, pics to follow of the solution...when I get something sorted out.   :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Noisy outlet (constantly needing to pee!!)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 12:41:08 PM
by suep
9 Replies
Last post January 12, 2015, 12:33:30 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 12:21:58 PM
by Aquamaid
15 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 04:46:28 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 07:49:27 AM
by Johno2009
1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2023, 02:44:29 PM
by Scodge

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: