Nitro Zorb

Author Topic: nitro zorb  (Read 2863 times) 4 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
nitro zorb
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi, i am going through the high nitrites bit of cycling in my tank ( with fish ) and wondered if anyone has used a bag of nitro zorb and anyone think it is useful or a waste of money.. thanks :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: nitro zorb
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
The problem is that you don't want a nitrite in the water because it harms fish but you need nitrite in the water to grow nitrite eating bacteria.

Depending what fish are in the tank, there is something else you can do for nitrite. If you lets us know what fish you have, we can say whether or not you can use this method.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »
hi, i have 4 red noes rummys, 4 cardinals, 2 platys and 3 harliquins , all doing nicely though nitrite keeps going to 1 or 2 regular, ( though it never seems to change to nitrates as always a low reading on this )I'm on holiday for 12 days and my daughter will be popping in every other day so thought the nitro zorb would do just in case it spiked while I'm away.. thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
You can't use salt with rummies and cardinals, so you'll have to do something else.

Since the reason you want to use nitra-zorb is a temporary one, then in these circumstances I would say yes, try it.
The instructions say it needs recharging
For a new aquarium or when ammonia or nitrite is detected:  recharge every 5 days for the first month, and then every 2 weeks for the second month. 
so it sounds as though your daughter would need to recharge it a couple of times during the 12 days
To recharge: dissolve 4 tablespoons (80 g) of APIŽ AQUARIUM SALT in 8 oz. (240 ml) of warm tap water.  Soak pouch for 2 hours, then rinse lightly in tap water.

Would she be OK doing this?

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
hi sue, yes she will... hopefully she won't try to plug it in to re charge it !  ;-) .. i think  my tank is just coming out of its cycle cos i now have some nitrate readings but as I'm going off i think it would be better to put it in  as a temp measure.  my readings today are ph 6 , ammonia .25( thats normal tap water reading too ) .5 to 1 nitrite and 10 to 20 nitrate (this is first time i have got to orange on the api tester kit ) .. prob get her to clean the tank and do a part change of water after a week and i bought some test strips for her to test every time she comes and if any indication of probs to do a full api test and change water. hopefully they will be ok  :fishy1:

Tags: sue 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: