Author Topic: Nitrate  (Read 5216 times) 6 replies

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Nitrate
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all
Been changing water regularly and thought something wasn't right as my Nitrate level always sits around the 40 mark. Tested my tapwater and finally realised its the tapwater itself!
Seeing as this is the maximum for most aquariums what can I do to reduce it.
Just checked my local water authority and it says that the nitrate level in my area is 32.6...P.H 7.7 as well

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Nitrate
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »
Couple of options I know about.

A chemical solution is Seachem Purigen.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html
It's quite expensive but it's really effective. It's a  synthetic adsorbent.
It's quite amazing because it actually targets organic compounds.
That's ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and tannins etc.

I would only use it on a fully cycled tank because it is so effective I would be concerned that it would slow down the growth of the Nitrifying bacteria. (Personal gut feeling - not science-based)

I personally would not use it instead of a proper bio filter system, but in tandem with a properly working bio system.

I use it because i have quite quite high nitrates in my tap water. Works perfectly in my kids 20L tank.

I bought the 250ml tub (from Amazon for about £18) which you need to bag yourself, but there is a ready-bagged 100ml size available too.

In the tub it looks like tiny round rubbery granules, you need to be careful because they get everywhere!
I made up some bags using nylon tights and added one to the filter after the bio noodles. When the Purigen has stopped being effective you'll see it has changed colour. Then I'll switch for another bag I have already made up.

Then you simply add your spent 'bag' to a solution of 1:1 water:bleach for 24 hours (then thoroughly rinse and soak in water/dechlorinator for 24 hours) and this will reactivate it - so the stuff apparently lasts about 3 years.

Unlike carbon which doesn't affect nitrates and expires in a few weeks.

On my new tank I've used it to remove the tannins that were leaking from my bogwood.
My water is crystal clear now.

You do need to remove Purigen when treating your tank with any medications.

{EDIT} Disregard the above. I've done some more reading on Purigen and it doesn't remove Nitrates. People notice an overall reduction in Nitrates over time when using it as Purigen helps adsorb the nitrogenous waste that contributes towards creating Nitrates.

Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds.

What it does do fantastically well is remove Tannins - but that's no help to the OP.

The other method is to buy RO water from your LFS.
I buy 25L for £3. I buy it because my tap water is too hard for Cardinal tetras, but it's basically nitrate-free too.
I mix mine with my tap water 50/50 so I gain the mineral benefits from the tap water.

Oh, another thought : certain live plants are supposed to be very effective at soaking up nitrates too - but others will hopefully be able to advise which specific plants and their needs.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
You can also buy quite expensive nitrate removing equipment, though it's probably not worth the expense.

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
Thanks for replys guys.

I hear that the Biohome Ultra is a good way to reduce Nitrate?
Any suggestions to using this in my filter to reduce the Nitrate.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:50:42 PM »
BioHome appears to be a highly porous biological filter medium, somewhere for your Nitrifying bacteria to colonise, so I can see where it will aid in the removal of Ammonia and Nitrite.
I don't see how it will aid in removing Nitrate.

{EDIT} Just found this:
To achieve Nitrate reduction we recommend 1kg of BIOHOME per 100 litres of water
http://genesisgroup.com.au/biohome-filter-media

With the massive surface area in BIOHOME, you can say goodbye to huge and chunky biomats, bioballs, etc. This high surface area allows us to effectively treat large amounts of aquarium water with 1 kg of BIOHOME. All you need is a very small compartment for biological filtration! As a guide, 1kg of BIOHOME = approx. 1.25 Litres in volume.

For the reduction of Nitrate, BIOHOME promotes denitrifying (anaerobic) bacteria to grow within it’s unique structure. It is this bacteria that reduces Nitrates. To achieve Nitrate reduction we recommend 1kg of BIOHOME per 100 litres of water. Amazing results have been seen in the reduction of Nitrates within 4-6 months of using BIOHOME in a filter.

The removal of Ammonia and Nitrite can be achieved much sooner with results seen in 3-4 weeks. This is because BIOHOME also allows nitrifying (aerobic) bacteria to grow very quickly. It is this nitrifying (aerobic) bacteria that eliminates dangerous Ammonia and Nitrite levels. To reduce or eliminate Ammonia and Nitrite, 1kg of BIOHOME can treat considerably more than 100 litres of aquarium water.

Maybe there's something in it after all - seems to require a lot of space and a significant amount to time to work too.

Personally I'd stick with 100ml of Purigen over 1KG of Biohome.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 08:43:22 AM »
I bought the Bio home media some weeks ago. I bought the new bio gravelsize for my small filters. Got it from Tynevalley and as my filters are small and I couldn't work out how much to use I just filled a piece of tights and stuffed in as much as I could into the middle section of my Aquaone tank and put as much as I could into my mini home made filter.

Quote "'BIOGRAVEL' IS A UNIQUE PRODUCT MADE FROM THE SAME MATERIAL AS BIOHOME (SINTERED GLASS) AND IS SUITABLE FOR THE FOLLOWING APPLICATIONS:
FILTER MEDIA IN SMALL DIY FILTERS, 'INVISIBLE FILTERS', INTERNAL FILTERS, HOB FILTERS

BIO-SUBSTRATE FOR UNDERGRAVEL FILTERS (REPLACES GRAVEL)

PLANTING SUBSTRATE

SHRIMP SUBSTRATE

KEY FEATURES INCLUDE:

HUGELY POROUS STRUCTURE FOR SUPPORT OF AEROBIC AND ANAEROBIC BACTERIA

REMOVES AMMONIA, NITRITE AND NITRATE (THROUGH BACTERIAL ACTION)

LIGHTER THAN GRAVEL SO CLEANS MORE EFFICIENTLY WHEN USING GRAVEL CLEANER

ROUGH TEXTURE ALLOWS PLANT ROOTS TO EASILY GRAB IT

WILL NOT RAISE pH LIKE GRAVEL DOES"

The mini filter is in my 60cm and works alongside the main filter (belt and braces in case the main one fails whilst I'm away - i know they share the bacteria)
Anyway, it's easy stuff to use but for the nitrate removing properties it has to be in there for some time .
Richard from Tyne valley produces it specifically for people who have the Bioi-orbs as he reckons the gravel/filtration that comes with those is rubbish.

I really hope it does do some good in my tank, especially for when I am on my annual holiday

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
There are nitrate eating bacteria, they just don't like growing in water that has lots of oxygen, ie they are anaerobic, unlike the the ammonia and nitrite eaters which do need oxygen ie they are aerobic. The problem with aquaria is that there is nowhere with oxygen depleted water for the nitrate eaters to grow. That's what biohome media is providing, an anaerobic environment.
Years ago there was something called nitrex. This was a special media that was placed into a box buried under the substrate with just a slit showing. The water inside the box quickly became anaerobic as they oxygen was depleted and the bacteria grew on the media and converted nitrate into nitrogen gas which bubbled out of the box harmlessly. I presume biohome works on the same principle, just that you don't see the gas coming off as it is inside a filter.

I am intrigued by the last statement in Sanjo's quote - "WILL NOT RAISE pH LIKE GRAVEL DOES". Are they implying that all gravel raises pH?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Nitrate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post December 02, 2012, 03:22:44 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 12:58:44 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 11:53:08 AM
by SteveS
2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 01:34:43 PM
by Aquamaid
5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
by Helen
5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 11:58:16 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 08:46:29 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: