Nitrate Levels

Author Topic: Nitrate Levels  (Read 4023 times) 6 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Nitrate Levels
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,

What is the ideal nitrate level in your tank?  Or is that a bit like how long is a piece of string? My nitrates seem to always be on the high side and as I really would like to get some panda cories, I think this is a problem.  Colin said the levels really needed to be 20 or below for these little fish....any ideas anyone?  I have got quite a lot of plants, 9 plus 3 mossballs and a rock with a different sort of moss on, possibly java moss in a 60L tank and I do around 3 water changes of 18L each per week.
My plants (except one) have all grown like crazy and I was going to do some drastic pruning when I spotted the platy fry!  So then I thought I had better leave well alone so they had places to hide.  Since they have got bigger and have been swimming around with the big guys, I have been able to trim and thin the planting out a little.

Will I not be able to have the pandas if I can't get my nitrates down or will it just mean water changes more often?

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: Nitrate Levels
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
'Ideal' would be zero, but then you'd have to add some for your plants..... so it wouldn't be ideal. :-\

The LFS will only refund your money (if a fish dies within two day of purchase) if ammonia and nitrites are zero, and nitrates are below 50ppm. So that's a limit of sorts.

Corys are sensitive to nitrates so below 20 would be good, especially as that gives you some wiggle room and it makes the water test easy - if it's orange it's OK.

What are your nitrate readings? I was in the LFS yesterday and they'd had a new shipment of fish..... including Panda Corys. Boy, they were cute and it's not surprising that you want some in your tank.

Bon weekend, Resa.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
It is generally said that for non-nitrate sensitive species, the nitrate should never exceed the tapwater level + 20. Since nitrate is made by the filter and increases all the time, that tap+20 is just before a water change; it should be lower than that immediately after.
Plants have to be jungle-like to make a serious dent in nitrate levels. The other way to get them lower is by using RO water and eother mix it with some tap water ot add minerals before putting it in the tank. The tapwater/amount of added minerals must be kept constant from one water change to the next.

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »
Was it just me or did anyone else have trouble getting on the forum earlier?  My computer told me that it was unable to find the page and that the site may have been down. 
Anyway, it all seems to be fine now....thank goodness!  I was beginning to panic with my lifeline gone ;D
It's been a funny day, my black cat, Didier, kindly brought me home a present.  A live and very much kicking rabbit, he had it in his mouth by its scruff.  Fortunately, it ended well, Didier got a scolding, he let go of the bunny who made a hasty escape!

Well as usual, I digress.  I have just tested my nitrate level before I do the water change and it read 50.  I did do my tap water before but I have mislaid the piece of paper I wrote it on, so I'll have to do it again.  I suppose though, that that level can vary depending on the water company?
OK, so stupid question no. 476.  The RO water, can it be kept for long or does it alter in its make up?  Why is this water good for low nitrates, how does it work?  Also, what minerals do you mean to add?  Would using either of these two methods mean I could have my pandas?

Colin!  I can't believe you saw pandas and didn't get some ;D  I really struggled to leave the shop here that had some without a little plastic bag full of them for myself ;D ;D
When do you think I might be able to get some?

Anyway guys, have a good weekend, hope the sun shines for you ;)

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
The site was misbehaving - I thought it was me because I got an error message for Argos as well - that's still there thoguh ("access denied")

RO water is water that's has all the dissolved minerals removed. It is pure water. But very few fish can live in that, none in the aquarium trade anyway, so you have to add some minerals back. This is done either by mixing with tapwater (often done when peple have hard tapwater and want to keep soft water fish; adding a bit of their very hard tapwater turns the RO water into soft water) or by adding remineralisation salts. The amount you add depends on how hard you want the water to end up. Because all the nitrate has been removed during the reverse osmosis process, the only nitrate you put in your tank is from the little bit of tapwater you mix in if you use that method. I'm not sure if remineralisation salts contain nitrate or not.
The downside is that RO water is expensive. You can buy it from some fish shops, or buy a device to attach to your taps that makes it at home. There is a lot of waste when RO water is made so it works out quite expensive to make your own if you are on a water meter.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »
I've had a few problems with the site lately, too. I think it might be time for a new server at ThinkFish HQ.

I use RO water from the LFS at £1.40 for 10 litres. I mix it a 2:1 Tap:RO and so it brings the hardness of my tap water (16.5o) down to 11o. It has the added benifit of bringing my tap water Nitrates of 25ppm down to 16ppm (i.e. into the orange) and my well-stocked tank stays in the orange from week to week. (Absolutely no hint of red). I have a lot of plants in my tank, mainly crypts, java fern and an anubias which are slow growing, but I also have some Hygrophillia difformis at the back - which is growing well and very quickly and is meant to be a good user of Nitrate. I have a messy water surface with H. diff and Ceratopsis thalictroides growing and sending out dangling roots (which the fish love to push and shove around in, looking for food) and these are both good Nitrate eaters. My isolation tank has H. polysperma growing like crazy, and that's a good nitrate remover too. They must be easy plants 'cos I haven't managed to kill them (yet).

RO water doesn't go off.... and I also use it for watering my carnivourous plants that I grow and in the steam iron to keep that clean. (yes ladies.... I do the ironing in this house!!) I also use it for topping-off evaporation loss in the tank as only pure water evaporates, so if you top-off with tap water then you're increasing the hardness of the water..... a sort of 'Dead Sea' effect.

I'm going to try some lava rock in my isolation tank. This is very slightly porous and the very minimal water movement through it should allow some anaerobic nitrate eating bacteria to grow - in theory, at least. But I'll start another thread for this.

There is some interesting bits in this (Clickety click) about filter media and what they do in the first 3 or 4 minutes of the video. I might (at some stage) try their Biohome Plus filter media - but I'll try the lava rock first. .

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »
I think it might be time for a new server at ThinkFish HQ.

Don't say that!!!!!

Were you a member of the old forum? I joined Thinkfish in 2006. Everything was fine until late 2011 when the site got slower and slower, then couldn't be accessed most of the time. In May 2012, the site had to switch to a new server and the forum couldn't be saved. It was back in September 2012 as a brand new forum. I had a post count of over 4000 on the old forum and had to start again at zero  ;D
The site owner explained it all here

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Nitrate Levels"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
by fishcake76
6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 08:04:46 AM
by ColinB
18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
by Annie
2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 01:34:43 PM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 08:46:29 PM
by Sue
58 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 05:39:29 PM
by jaypeecee
3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2022, 06:52:31 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: