Newbie With BiOrb 60L & Black Widow Tetras

Author Topic: Newbie with biOrb 60L & black widow tetras  (Read 12005 times) 37 replies

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Newbie with biOrb 60L & black widow tetras
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 06:55:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Think I may be going into panic mode again....  that furry hamster is looking more and more appealing
Until you go on the hamster care forum! ;)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
My KH is low at 3 deg which is ~60ppm or mg/l (ppm and mg/l are so close as they can be regarded as the same). [It's actually just under 60 for the people who want it accurate]. You need a KH of over 4 deg (~80mg/l) to be safe, especially during cycling as the bacteria need carbonate to multiply properly, in addition to need ing a higher pH so that there is enough ammonia in the ammonia form rather than the ammonium form - and the test kits we have measure ammonia plus ammonium combined. Aiming for around 6 ppm or mg/l is making doubly sure.

At the pH you currently have, that 0.5ppm (or mg/l) is safe. Do a water change tomorrow then add the salts. If you add 1 spoonful tonight, you need to add the equivalent of 1 tomorrow. But if you do a 50% water change, for example, you'll remove half tonight's spoonful so add 1.5 teaspoons tomorrow after the water change. Dissolve it in the new water before adding it.

I have a link for you. This is an ammonia calculator. Leave the first box set at NH(NH3 + NH4). Enter your ammonia reading in the next box. Set salinity to zero. Enter your pH and temperature in the boxes. Click calculate on the right hand side. You want the box NH3 Concentration. This is the amount of ammonia in the more toxic ammonia form.
Your aim is to keep that box reading under 0.05. Anything under 0.02 is safe for even the most delicate fish.
As the pH goes up, you'll find that the same reading on the test kit gives a higher value in that box.

BUT.....
Once you have nitrite, you will need to do water changes to keep that below 0.25. There is no less toxic form of nitrite.

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the link Sue - I feel much calmer now as the amount of ammonia in the toxic form is only 0.0005.  So I can probably leave the water changes until I've added the full dose of buffer.  I'll do one tomorrow morning and then start adding the buffer.

Forgot to say that I pH tested my tap water after it had stood for 24 hours and it was 7.2.  Just wondered - what causes the pH to drop so drastically in my tank? 

And Puffin, I think you're right - the hamster care forum couldn't be any more helpful or friendly than this one.  I'll stick to you guys  :-*   My two cats would probably eat the hamster, anyway  ;D

Liz

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Widow Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:59 PM »
I think you and Sue are over-complicating the remineralisation salts thingy.  If I was doing this stuff, I would just carry on with my fish-in cycle, as you doing now. Swapping water in and out as required by your ammonia and nitrite readings.  All this stuff is complicated enough without worrying about gradually hardening my water supply!

Now, in order to gradually harden my water supply, Whenever I perform a water change, make up the new replacement water to be the hardness I require. So, if your full 60l tank requires 4 spoonfuls of remineralisation salts, your 15l bucket will require 1 spoonful. Your bucket contains 'hard' water. Now when you replace it in the tank, it will slowly harden the water in your tank.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 10:50:45 PM »
Now THAT makes sense Steve  :D   Simple, yet effective!  I think I'd got to the stage where I couldn't see the wood for the trees, and was no doubt driving poor Sue mad with my witterings.

Thank you

Liz

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 01:02:14 PM »
Thank you Steve. You are quite right about things getting over complictated.
And yes, just adding the salts to the new water will 'harden' it nice and slowly.

No excuses, just the fact I'm not on the forum as often as I used to be since my husband retired and I do tend to rush things. I should take more time to think things through  :-[

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
Hi, just thought I'd give you an update since starting to add the remineralisation salts.

To recap:

On evening of 29/5 - amm. 0.4  pH 6.0 and KH was barely registering at 0.56!  Added 1 x spoonful of remin. salts that night.  NO water change as using Sue's ammonia calculator figured the 0.4 measured was within safe limits.

30/5 at 9.30am added 1 x spoonful of remin. salts
30/5 at 5.30pm added 1 x spoonful of remin. salts
Didn't test and didn't do WC

31/5 at 10.30am - amm. 0.5  Ni 0  ph 7.6 (could be slightly less as top of scale & didn't test with the high range pH)  KH 5.6
So I think I'm getting there  :)   The fact that the amm. has only increased by 0.1 since Thurs night I'm taking as a sign (ever the optimist) that there may be some friendly bacteria munching on the amm, although still no nitrites.
I've just added 1 more spoonful of the remin. salts (that = 4 spoonfuls in total which is the recommended dose  for 60litres).  I will test again this evening and hopefully the KH should be around the 6 degreee mark.  Unless the amm has risen a lot, I will leave doing a WC until tomorrow morning.  When I do the WC I will just do 15 litres (one bucketful) and will add one spoonful of the remin. salts to keep the levels constant.

If any of this sounds way off, please shout up!

Liz

Offline ColinB

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
That sounds good. Nice one - it's a steep learning curve, this fishkeeping.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
And bear in mind that since your pH has gone up, more of the ammonia will be in the toxic form. Check with the calculator to see when you need to do a water change.

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »
Using measurements taken this morning, my amm is 0.4, pH is 7.6 and temperature is 76 so that calculates to 0.0108.  Should I leave doing a WC until the calculated ammonia reaches 0.05?  Wasn't sure if by not doing a WC it might give the good bacteria a chance to multiply before I remove some of them by water changing (or is that complete rubbish  ??? )

Now my pH and KH is at an acceptable level, I want to do everything I can to get those bacteria multiplying!  They've got a lot of catching up to do, lol.

Liz

Offline ColinB

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
Hold on..... 0.01 is less than 0.05 so no water change needed.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
Don't worry Colin - I know 0.01 is less than 0.05 (although I DID have to check to make sure I wasn't mistaken  :-\  )   So I was just making sure that it's okay to NOT do a WC until the ammonia reaches 0.05 (using the ammonia calculator).  You've now answered that for me  :D   

Thanks

Liz

Offline ColinB

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »
*phew*

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »
I reckon at this rate I'll soon be able to take Chemistry and Maths GCSEs  :rotfl:  (and before one of you comedians chips in, I didn't say I'd PASS them....  ::)  )

Liz

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
Bit of an update:

1/6/14
KH = 6.72
Amm = 0.50
Nitri = 0
pH = 7.6
Temp 76F
Adjusted ammonia = 0.018
No water change

3/6/14
KH = 7.28
Amm = 0.50
Nitri = 0
Nitra = 0
pH 7.6
Temp 76F
Adjusted ammonia = 0.018
No water change

4/6/14
KH = 7.28
Amm = 0.50
Nitri = 0
pH = 8.0 (I did a High pH test fully expecting it to show maybe 7.4 so was shocked to see 8.0/8.1)
Temp 76F
Adjusted ammonia = 0.26 (had to find another ammonia site as the one Sue gave me suddenly not available)
Water change - 15 litres (with "almost" one spoonful of re-mineralisation salts)

Is there anything else I should do (apart from WC) to lower the pH.  Or do you think I should do another WC and maybe not add any re-mineralisation salts?

Only just done WC so will test again in about half an hour and test again.... watch this space  :-\

Liz

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
I would do another small water change without adding the salts. Maybe about 10 liitres, don't want the hardness to swing too much.

I can't access that site with the ammonia calculator either. Have to find another one to link to.

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
Just re-tested:

KH = 7.28
Amm = 0.25
pH = 8.1 (maybe 8.0)

Will do as you suggest Sue and do another small WC.

Thanks  :)

Liz

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
Well finally something's happening!  My ammonia has been reading 0 and I have had nitrites.  I'm fairly certain I have some nitrates - last night the colour was possibly 5 but certainly more than 0 and tonight I'm sure it's 5.  When my nitrites have reached 0.25 I have done a 25% WC. 

However, although my pH remains stable (7.4 today) my KH is dropping and today's reading was only 2.8 or 3.36 (depending if I counted 5 drops which was JUST turning yellowish or 6 drops which properly turned it yellow).  Over a period of about a week it's gone from 5.04, then 4.48 and now 3.36 (or 2.8 if I'm being over-cautious).

Tonight my readings are:

Amm   0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
pH  7.4
KH  3.36 (or 2.8)

I haven't added any more of the remineralisation salts since 7th June and the pH seems to be holding its own, but should I be concerned about the dropping KH?  Is it low KH or low pH that can stall the cycle?  Or both?  Because I've had nitrites (couple of times been definitely purple-y) and now appear to have some nitrates, does that mean it's unlikely to stall as it IS doing something?  Lots of questions - AGAIN  ::)

And how long do I have to have readings of Amm 0 and Nitrites 0 with some Nitrates before I can consider it cycled (can you tell I'm dying to get a couple more fish, lol).

When I popped in our local MA (didn't know there was one nearby until I went to the garden centre and discovered it!), the guy there said my KH would always be low as it was in the whole of our area.  If the pH stays stable, can I leave off the remineralisation salts?  I still don't really understand the connection/differences between KH and pH  :-[   

Oh, by the way, I took a water sample to MA 10 days ago and he said he thought I was being too cautious with my readings, and he said there were nitrates then and my amm was 0.  I'd been reading the amm as 0.25 but when I did a benchmark test on my tap water, the colour was exactly the same as the tank sample and since my water board website reading for amm is very low, I've since read it as 0. 

Sorry this post is a bit dis-jointed but I kept remembering bits of information that I thought might be relevant to any answers and/or advice you can give.

Thanks for your patience!

Liz

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie with biOrb 60L & black widow tetras"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 08:34:27 PM
by Philip
7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
by Sue
34 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 10:17:33 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2014, 09:56:44 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 12:36:07 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 09:32:39 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2020, 07:58:46 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: