Newbie Questions

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 3493 times) 6 replies

Offline Dragut

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Newbie questions
« on: April 05, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello you guys.
Actually I am not a complete newbie as I kept fishes 30 years ago  ;D .As far as I can see now it is a lot more scientific than it was and I must say  I am very much confused.
Basically I want to  keep Angelfish and I will start a 100 liters tank because it comes free ::-] I just want to keep angels, maybe little some company (any suggestions??) and I want to breed them later with a larger tank.
As I will get a hand-me-down tank with a few goldfish I don't know whether I need to change all substrate ,or just to keep them as they as ( obviously minus existing inhabitants).Do I need to cycle the tank before putting angels or just add them as tank and filter in use for long time.
Anyway these are first questions come up my mind now.
Thanks for all replies in advance.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 05:58:27 AM »
Hello there Dragut.
Can't help with Anglefish - don't know enough about them.

On this website there is something called a "Community Creator" which tells you how many fish and what goes with what and whether they are compatible. It might be worth finding that.

If I had just inherited a 100 litre tank whose previous residents were goldfish I would want to give it a thorough cleanup, including removing the gravel and washing it really well. Goldfish are apparently very "dirty" fish so will have left a lot of their waste behind.

If it's many years since your previous fishkeeping days, and you say yourself that it is now very scientific, then I wonder how aware you are of things like water conditioner for removing ammonia from tap water.
I think from your post that you are aware of the cycling process.  Will the filter still have bacteria in it by the time you get it ie has it been kept running so that the bacteria has been able to keep alive. 

How long has it been without fish as the filter will not have had any ammonia to feed itself?
What sort of substrate have you currently got sand, gravel ?

Being the Easter Weekend there weren't many folk around yesterday so perhaps somebody with more experience than I will come along and answer you more accurately

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Hi Dragut,

Welcome back to the hobby. I am a similar returnee after keeping fancy goldfish in what I would now describe as a tiny tank. When you say the hobby is far more scientific now I think that may be just down to good information being more readily accessible. I bet even 30 years ago there were some stellar fishkeepers who understood the importance of the nitrogen cycle, etc. Only 5 years ago I thought I was doing a great job scrubbing out the tank once a month and washing the filter in untreated tap water. After reading just a few articles on the web I would now never dream of doing such a thing!

Given that you've taken the time to read up on fishkeeping before buying your fish is a good indicator that you're sensible and likely to be a successful fishkeeper. When I was restarting the hobby, the best bit of advice I read was "If you look after the water, the fish will look after  themselves". Whilst this isn't 100% foolproof, its a great start. Angelfish prefer softer acidic water, so I'd check your water to see that it is favourable. You know that fishless cycling is the way to go and it sounds like you're inheriting an establish filter. From a purely cycling point of view, I think its best to keep as much filter media and substrate from the existing tank as possible to help maintain the bacteria. Sanjo is right, goldfish are incredibly messy fish, but this should mean the bacterial colony is well established. I'd do an almost complete water change and try to vacuum as much crud out of the substrate as possible. Scrub the inside of the glass if necessary, but don't use any chemicals or cleaning apparatus (sponges, brushes, etc) that have been used before. Unless you're feeding the tank ammonia, don't leave it too long before adding a couple of fish as the bacteria will die back. If you don't fancy adding ammonia, I would start with two angelfish for the first month and then add another one or two every month over a 6 month period in order for the tank to fully establish.

My only concern is that there may be diseases within the existing tank, however if the goldfish are healthy then I wouldn't be too concerned with this. It seems to me that there are so many ways of introducing disease to the tank accidentally its just part and parcel of fishkeeping.

Now angelfish prefer taller aquariums and the thinkfish profile recommends a length of at least 90cm. With a 100ltr tank with an internal filter, that equates to 10 angelfish maximum. If you want to keep other fish types you'll have to reduce the number of angels. Small (non-fin nipping) tetra would do well with angels. Neons, cardinals and rummynose spring to mind, but there's a whole host of possibilities. Cories would also work well. Use the community creator and find your best combination.

I'd also plant the tank heavily as angels love vegetation. I always think vallisneria works well with angelfish, but that's a personal preference. 

I'm sure you'll get plenty more opinions here soon, but good luck with it all!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
Provided you keep the filter media damp (and preferably wet) the bacteria will survive quite a while without food before dying off. The problem is that they become dormant without food, and the longer they are dormant the longer it takes them to 'wake up'. It can take so long that cycling would be faster! If the media is still wet and not been too long without fish, the simplest is to just add ammonia until you are ready to buy fish, or if you really don't want to do that, put some fish food in a mesh bag and hang that in the tank - the mesh bag is only to make it easier to remove the food when it goes off.

Only you can say whether you trust the tank to be disease free. But yes, clean the substrate well to get rid of the goldfish mess, and clean any unsightly deposits off the glass.

Angles do really need a water depth of 18 inches/45cm; and that is water depth not tank depth.
Tank mates - I wouldn't risk neons as they are the natural prey of angels. You need something a bit bigger, such as the rummy noses Cod suggested. Pencilfish would work with angels too, though the marginatus (dwarf pencilfish) might be a bit small. Golden/beckfords (same species) would be fine with angels.

Fishkeeping might sound more scientific nowadays but as others have said, it is more that we understand better. And we need more scientific methods nowadays because fishkeeping has got more difficult in some aspects. A lot of people who have kept fish for decades reckon that water companies have got better at killing bacteria, making fish-in cycling harder. More fish are farmed these days, with breeders using less than perfect stock to breed from, resulting in weaker fish which die more easily. There are more delicate fish in the trade than decades ago, which are less forgiving of poor management. And there are more pushy salesmen selling things you don't actually need  :)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »
Well I guess neons would be a terrible choice as tankmates go... but it could be very interesting to watch!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Dragut

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:14:18 AM »
Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question.
This is my plan:
I will get the tank and remove gravel and wash it with dechlorinated water,add water,cleaned gravel and add a couple of angel fishes which I must confess  :-[ I have bought them already as I found them very reasonably priced (ebay auction).I was not planning to buy any fish before I set up the tank but they are gorgeous and I will pay #10.50 for a breeding pair. ::) I think they are blue zebras.
I will give its ebay link and you can tell me better.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271819459739?_ilink&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l4459&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI271819459739.N9.S2.M-1530.R2.TR2

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »
I don't know anything about the colour types of angel as I've never had a tank tall enough to keep them. Is the seller keeping them till you have the tank ready? If it is just the angels to start with, they won't need a lot of bacteria in the filter compared to a fully stocked tank so even if you lose some during the set up process you should still have enough.
Angels can be kept alone, in a group or in a known pair - that is a pair that have bred before. The ebay description sounds like a pair that have just formed.

Once the fish arrive, you do need to keep an eye on the tank water until you are sure it is OK. You need to test for ammonia and nitrite every day till you are sure they are staying at zero. If you haven't got a test kit yet, the type with liquid reagents are better than strip ones.

The ebay description says the angels are still small. In this case, the sooner you get tank mates the better, water stats permitting. Angels are territorial and can object to later additions. And as fish in shops tend to be young, and therefore small, they are more likely to be eaten by fully grown angels before they have chance to grow - get them while the angels are too small to eat them. Test for a few days every time you get new fish.
If at any stage you have a reading above zero for ammonia and/or nitrite, you need to do a water change to get them down. And don't get more fish till the readings have been zero for at least a week.
Is this the new scientific way of doing things?  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie questions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2013, 03:31:21 PM
by Billy
8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 09:30:30 PM
by Cazzybaby
5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 08:10:13 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM
by Paddy60
17 Replies
Last post January 21, 2018, 04:17:28 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: