New To Fish Keeping- Advice On Stocking A 54 Litre Tank Please!! :)

Author Topic: new to fish keeping- advice on stocking a 54 litre tank please!! :)  (Read 31096 times) 33 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: new to fish keeping- advice on stocking a 54 litre tank please!! :)
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 09:18:02 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
There are two other species similar to harlequins but slightly smaller. They are the Hengel's rasbora/porkchop rasbora/copper rasbora (Trigonostigma hengeli)and the Espe's rasbora/lambchop rasbora/slender rasbora (Trigonostigma espei). As you can see they both have several common names. I have hengel's rasboras and they do behave like harlequins. They are the most schooling fish I've ever kept, they swim together all the time, or possibly in two smaller schools (I have 14 of them). If you can find a shop that stocks these fish, have a look at them to see which you prefer. I ended up with hengeli as the shop I use didn't have enough of harlequins or espe's rasboras - I wanted 15, and there were about 30 hengelis in their tank.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 07:51:07 PM »
Id think these two fish species will get on well too.

I have always had a soft spot for the smaller corys e.g. pygmy cory but many who have kept them on here have struggled to keep them alive.

There is also the purple harlequin too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »
I should have mentioned purple harlequins. I did ask the shop to get some for me but they couldn't find any, their wholesaler only listed black harlequins. I had forgotten to tell them that this colour morph of harlequin rasbora is called purple harlequin, black harlequin, royal harlequin, orange nosed harlequin, and any combination of those names, and probably more I haven't come across yet. The black harlequins on their list were the same fish as the purple harlequins I'd asked for.

Just a heads-up for anyone wanting these fish  :)

Offline heather62

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
Just a quick update!
My tank finished cycling yesterday Yay!  :fishy1:

So, today was 'fish day' and I have come home with some hengels rasbora (I asked for 8 but found 9 in the bag when i got home) and a nerite snail. All have explored their tank and are looking good, if at bit shy at the moment..... except the snail who seems to be quite bold and very much enjoying him/herself.

Will post some pics when they have settled in a bit more.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
'fish day'

Yey! It's always a good day when its a fish day, especially when there is a newly cycled tank thrown in  ;D

Hope everyone is settling in ok, keep us updated!

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 07:27:40 PM »
Congrats on the new fish.  :D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »
Hooray  ;D

I hope that the new fish are settling in to the tank and I'm looking forward to seeing pics.  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »
Nice choice of fish :)

I've found my hengels rasboras tend to run for cover if they get startled but they soon come back out once the 'danger' has passed. They also school more than any other fish I've had.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »
How lovely - and very good choice of fish. Looking forward to seeing the pics in due course.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
Good news!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline heather62

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
Thanks everyone! It is all very exciting.
@Sue They are very tightly shoaling, and have now settled and come out of their shell- darting around the tank in tight formation :)

I have been glued to the tank for the past 24 hours- its amazing how much time you can spend peering in!

I have however noticed 1 fish that doesn't seem to be too well- This afternoon I noticed there was a small red patch on the lip and on closer inspection maybe a bit of white (but in a tiny rasbora it is difficult to see). I initially thought it may be colouring but when the air stone went on it couldn't cope very well with current and started to get swept away while the others swam well around it. Since then I have been watching it closely and it seems to be lingering, weaker than the others and is moving its mouth more than the others. I think if I hadn't been glued to the tank I wouldn't have noticed, it is quite subtle- it is still shoaling and eating.
After a bit of research, could this be mouth rot?

All the other fish are fine, healthy, strong and have no red or white on their mouths or bodies.

It's a bit frustrating having a possible sickly fish less than 24 hours of becoming a fish keeper!

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
I have lost four of my 18 hengels rasboras. I found one dried up on the floor, but the other three died in my tank within a couple of weeks of getting them. I didn't see anything on them while they were alive, I just found them dead.

It would seem that some fish are too weak to survive all the trauma they go through from the breeder to the wholesaler to the shop and finally to our tanks.
I suspect your rasbora is another example of this, and the mark on its mouth is a symptom of it being very stressed. I'm afraid I don't hold out much hope with the symptoms you give - the rapid breathing and not being able to cope with water current  :(

Offline heather62

• Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply- this little fish isn't doing too well, i'm not sure it will make it through the night.
I have also noticed a white spot on another ones tail- it is only that one and only 1 spot, but i'm fearful it could be whitespot? Any thoughts and suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

I feel a bit disheartened after going through the last couple of weeks ensuring everything is done properly to only have been sold poorly fish...... all part of the nature of fish keeping I guess- live and learn!

I have attached a picture (it was the best I could get)- the fish with the bad mouth is in the middle with its mouth thickened and open, the tail of the whitespot fish is on the left.

(I hope I am wrong!)

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM »
Don't panic about whitespot just yet. White spots on the fins can also be scars from nips or other damage eg netting the fish. Keep an eye on all the fish and if no more white spots appear, damage is the most likely answer.
If it is whitespot, there will be more spots but this is an easily treatable disease that most fishkeepers have to contend with at some point.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "new to fish keeping- advice on stocking a 54 litre tank please!! :)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 04:53:50 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
by Fiona
46 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 10:11:55 PM
by Matt
36 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 05:23:02 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: