Newbie!!!

Author Topic: Newbie!!!  (Read 25665 times) 132 replies

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Newbie!!!
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My water has been murky for the last few weeks. It is showing ammonia. I water change 25% weekly and it is a 180 litre tank. I have the following fish:

6 black phantom tetras - 12cm
6 bleeding hearts - 18cm
4 guppies - 8cm
5 mollies - 20cm
1 Angel fish (large) - 6cm
1 pleco (large) - 10cm
3 clown loach - 9cm
4 Platy - 8cm
2 rams - 6cm
2 Severums - 20cm
1 crab - 3cm

Total - 120cm of fish.

Could you please advise what I should do? I know I have been cleaning the filter too often (two weekly) so am now leaving this alone. Could you please tell me anything else I should or shouldn't be doing?  Should I do daily water change while the water is murky?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Newbie!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
 :wave: Welcome along Silver 633

Someone should be along soon with some good advice for you. I have been a member for around a week and have learned a massive amount in that time. What testing apparatus are you using for your water? Have you tested pH, nitrite and nitrate levels? Do you have separate media in your filter such as sponge material with additional filter pads of a finer mesh?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
Hi Silver  :wave:

You don't say whether you have an internal or external filter, as that will make a difference. Leaving out the plec as you don't say what species, and the crab which isn't in the fish profiles, an internal filter makes the tank 111% stocked, while with an external it is only 69 % stocked.

However, if you have a common plec, that will add hugely to your bioload as they are very messy fish (ie they create rather a lot of waste)

How have you been cleaning the filter, in tank water removed during a water change, or under the tap?
Does it get mucky quickly? I was wondering why you've been cleaning it every 2 weeks.

Can I ask, how high is your ammonia, what's the pH of the water and the temperature? I'm asking because it is possible to work out how much of the ammonia is in the toxic ammonia form and how much in the less toxic ammonium form - the proportions vary with pH and temp.

Have you done anything to the filter besides wash it? Changed any media?
If you have gravel on the bottom, do you clean it with a siphon every week?
How long has the tank been set up?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to work out why you have ammonia readings.

In the meantime, water changes every time the ammonia (or nitrite) reading goes above 0.25 is recommended.

Just a heads up - crabs and fish don't go well together. The crab is likely to nip the fish, if not catch and eat them at night if it's one of the bigger species.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »
Hi Silver. Welcome aboard.  :wave:

Sue has asked all the relevant questions to help get to the bottom of things, the only other thing I'd ask is how long have you had the tank set up for?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
Hi Silver  :wave:

I'm relatively new to this myself, and can say that they advice you can get from the experienced people on this forum is brilliant. They will be able to help you to resolve your problems.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:49:10 PM »
Right. Please excuse my ignorance. I am a complete novice who has inherited the whole set up. Therefore I'm having to try and learn quickly!  Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

I will give as much info as I know and hopefully you can all guide me!  I really want to get into this.

First of all I took my water to an aquatics shop who performed all the necessary checks. She said all was fine apart from ammonia. She said to stop cleaning the filter basically until the flow is struggling.  She didn't say what level the ammonia was but sold me some clear slimy balls the put in to replace bacteria?

The filter is an internal one with a rectangle sponge.

I have no idea about the species of the pleco. He is very big though.

I have been cleaning the filter in the water removed from the tank during a water change. I've been cleaning it more often as the stones on the bottom are really dirty so every water change, there is a sucker machine that draws the stones up, cleans them, and the dirty water comes out through a tube. So this has been making the water really bad. In my head it made sense to clean the filter more often to make sure it was still doing its job. I know that's wrong now!

Not sure what the ph level is but it is what it is meant to be. The temp is currently sitting at 26 degrees.

I haven't done anything to the filter apart from squeeze the sponge in water taken from the tank.

The tank has been set up in my house for about a month now. I accepted 3 guppies (tiny) and 2 mollies (small) as a favour to someone and it seems to tie in with the murky water which made me think is the tank overstocked?  But the fish are so tiny I can't believe it has made a difference?

The murky water has also begun since I've been paying attention to the stones in the water change rather than just taking water from the top.

I hate the crab. It gives me the creeps. But it seems to be hidden away 95% of the time and doesn't seem to bother the fish.

If I am 11% overstocked, should I be reducing my fish by about 13cm? Help!!!! Lol

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:17:22 PM »
Inheriting fish is always a problem.

Don't worry, we'll get you though this and you'll soon have a tank to be proud of  :)

With an internal, you are definitely overstocked, and you have other problems too, but first get the tank sorted. Though if you can find a shop that will take the plec off your hands it will make things much easier. Too many common plecs are sold, and these fish get massive - well over a foot long! And if you could find a new home for the crab you'd also be doing the fish a favour.

Unfortunately, whoever said the pH is what it is meant to be isn't being very helpful as pH is what it is when it arrives in your tank - there is no 'what it is meant to be'. It can be anything between 6.5 and 9.5, the legal limits in the UK.

The best thing you can do is buy a testing kit. The kind you dip in the water don't test for ammonia, which you need, so a kit with bottles and test tubes would be best. That way you can keep an eye on the water yourself and know when you need to do a water change. Master test kits come with pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate testers - be sure to follow the nitrate one to the letter!
If you get it tested at a shop again, ask them for the numbers. Shops are notorious for saying' fine' or a bit high' when the numbers tell a different story.

When you got the tank, was the gravel left in the tank when it was moved to your house? If it was, I suspect that the previous owner did not clean it properly, if at all  :-\

Next time you do a water change, push the siphon tube right down into the gravel and wriggle it a bit. Not so much that it kicks the muck up into the water, just enough so the mess goes up the tube. Once there is no more mess, gently lift it out and push it into the gravel right next to where you just cleaned. Repeat the process until you've taken enough water out. Next time start where you finished.
Because of the state of the water, you need to be doing water changes more or less every day so you'll soon get the whole of the gravel done. Then start again at the beginning. This time there won't be nearly so much mess, so you'll get more of the gravel done each time. It won't take long to get rid of nearly all the mess in the gravel, then it will be just a case of removing what has gone in there between water changes - fish poo, uneaten food etc.

A thought just occurred tome - you said you use a sucker machine. Do you mean a siphon tube which puts the dirty water into a bucket, or a power/battery driven thing that puts the water back into the tank?

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »
Thanks so much. I just want a healthy tank with clear water!!!

I will ring the local aquatics shop tomorrow and see if they will take the pleco. If not I wonder if they would take any of the other fish for me? If they could sell them on?  I will definitely ring them first thing.

I have just ordered nh3, nh4 and ammonia kit. Hopefully receive it next week.

The gravel was already in the tank and was disgusting. I will follow your instructions on how to clean it properly. It is a siphon tube that puts the dirty water into a bucket.

The murky water also ties in with when we started using water conditioner. Is there any chance this could cause unclear water?

So basically should I be doing daily changes while it's so murky? Xxx

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:53:36 PM »
As Sue recommends, start doing a daily water change concentrating on clearing one area of the gravel until you don't want to remove any more water then top up with dechlorinated water. Break the gravel into sections and go one day at a time. Eventually you should see the water clarity returning.

My dad had similar issues when I was young which basically came down to the fact he wasn't doing enough cleaning... I did a lot of the remedial work when he was working and I was still in high school.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »
By water conditioner, do you mean dechlorinator? These are essential as they remove the chlorine or chloramine which your water company add to your tap water to kill bacteria. In an established tank, this isn't as important as with a new tank, but even then you should always use dechlorinator except with very small water changes.

If you don't have any luck with a shop taking fish you could try advertising it for free on http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/ That's what I do.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »
Right. I changed 30 litres last night from the gravel like you said. Water looked better. But murky again by this morning.  I phoned 2 shops local to me, none of which could take any of my fish   They tried to sell me an external filter for £100 instead!!!

I will advertise some of the fish free to good homes to get my numbers down but in the meantime is 30 litres of clean water enough to keep going temporarily? If I do it daily? Xxx

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »
30 litres a day for now should be fine. Once you have the tank under control you can go to weekly water changes - with my 180 litre I change 50 to 60 litres a week.

That's the problem with these tank busters, few shops will take them once they reach a good size because they won't find a customer willing to buy them. The plec will be the cause of most of the mess, they are renowned for it.

Once you have the tank under way properly, you do have a couple of other fish issues, but they can wait for now.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »
Yes hopefully I can rehome a few soon!!!

Lol what are my other fish issues?  I really appreciate your help and advice soooo much 😃 Xxx

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »
The problem fish are:
The clown loaches, which need a tank footprint of at least 180 x 60 cm. They are also a shoaling fish and there should be at least 6 of them. They grow up to a foot long.
The severums. These need a tank of at least 120 x 45 x 45cm, and 240 litres. They could well end up eating the guppies!
The plec and crab I've already mentioned. I must admit I know very little about crabs except that there are some micro-crabs which would be OK. But some crabs need salt water, and others need an area of dry land inside the tank. Not knowing what your crab is, it is hard to say if it falls into either of those categories.

The two species of tetra are fine. They are suitable for a tank your size and you have just enough of them.

Then there are the livebearers (guppies, platies and mollies) versus the angelfish and rams. Livebearers prefer hard water, with mollies suffering the worst if kept in soft water, while angels and rams are soft water fish. One group or the other won't be terribly happy.
You should be able to find how hard your water is somewhere on your water company's website. If they give a number, make a note of the unit as well - there are several they could use.

But as I say, the time to think about the fish is once the tank is sorted.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 09:06:20 PM »
Omg!!!!!  How do you know so much????  What a fountain of knowledge!!!!

My hubby says we have soft water.

If I were to get an external filter, which would be a suitable one for me to get? Xxx

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Omg!!!!!  How do you know so much????  What a fountain of knowledge!!!!

This made me laugh but only because I was the exact same as you a week or so ago... reading through the posts going "My god, there is so much to think about!"

It's a wee bit overwhelming but at the same time I find it very interesting. I am fortunate compared to yourself however, since I have built up a base of knowledge on the forum before starting an aquarium whereas you are needing help with your existing setup...  I wish you luck and I really hope you can get things sorted  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 09:29:21 PM »
I cheat a bit  ;D

I know from a lot of reading how big clown loaches get - google marge the clown loach. She was the most famous of the species.
And I know that severums get big so I can't have any.

And I check with Seriously Fish
(I said I cheat  ;D )

I have softish water so I know what I can and can't keep. Most livevearers are on the list of fish that won't do well in my water.

External filters depend very much on how much you are prepared to pay. The Rolls Royce of externals are Fluvals and Eheims. They are built to last. All Pond Solutions externals also rate highly provided you are careful with them, and bear in mind that the quoted flow rate is a lot higher than the actual flow rate.
I have internals in all my tanks so others will be able to advise you which makes they like.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 10:19:08 PM »
 :o
Just googled "Marge the clown loach".
That is one huge fish.
Wow.

Offline rosaleen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
Hi
Re external filters, Just to put  my two pennyworth in, I use an Aqua  One external filter. It's deliberately oversized for my tank capacity but allows me to have more fish, but def not overcrowding that wouldn't be fair on the fish.
I took the advice of people posting on the site and used  some you tube demos for the visuals which  helped  too.
More experienced fish keepers here  will be able to tell you more.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
I don't know if anyone has any real life experience with the Eden range of thermal exterior filters but they have the advantage of having an integral heater and so removing this additional equipment from your tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 09:10:28 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2017, 04:15:59 PM
by MarquisMirage
86 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
by Littlefish
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2024, 12:16:28 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: