Newbie!!!

Author Topic: Newbie!!!  (Read 25728 times) 132 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Newbie!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I a sooo tempted to get an external filter. My son has one on his tank and it keeps the water so clear and the tank so clean.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
I plan on upgrading to an external. I don't like seeing apparatus inside the tank and am external increases overall capacity.

I'm tempted to get an external in-line heater too.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

Are external in-line heaters more energy efficient for your electricity bill? It will be interesting to see what affect the Aquarium equipment I've started running does to my own bill...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »

Are external in-line heaters more energy efficient for your electricity bill? It will be interesting to see what affect the Aquarium equipment I've started running does to my own bill...

Short answer, I don't know.

Long answer, I would imagine they'd use roughly the same amount of energy to heat the water.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 06:12:30 PM »
Sorry to go back to my original problem, but I have managed to rehome 6 bleeding heart tetras. My water has slightly improved but is still cloudy. Could you tell me if I'm still overstocked? Also with external filters, how much would I expect to pay for a 180 litre tank? Thanks so much. Again lol xxx

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 08:50:31 PM »
Unfortunately you are still overstocked. Using the Community Creator on here, you are at 111%. Your main problems are the plec, clown loaches and severums. The plec and loaches will eventually need a 6 foot tank, while the severums will need a 4 foot.

What is the filter you have now? Make, and if possible, the model?

You could always look at second hand externals on Ebay. You can get some good bargains on there. The main thing to check if you do end up with one is that the seals are still in good condition, but if not they are easily replaced.
If you do get an external, don't just throw away the internal. Use the internal's media (sponge etc) to avoid having to cycle the external.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 09:45:11 PM »
The filter we have is aquael fan-3 plus. Is this ok for our tank? Should I try to rehome the plec or a severum? Or clown loach?  Xxx

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 09:50:17 PM »
You really need to rehome all of them or you'll need to get a bigger tank.

My husband is waiting for me to turn my laptop off! I'll look up that filter tomorrow.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
Sorry to hear that you are still having so many problems from inheriting an existing set up.  :(
Unfortunately you have found yourself in a difficult situation and trying to resolve many issues very quickly, particularly as the fish you need to get rid of are the large ones that most people don't have the tank capacity to take on. Have you tried contacting local pet/fish shops and aquatics centres to see if they will take any of the larger fish? Or it might be worth trying sites such as preloved.co.uk, which has a section for free adverts for pets, or even the more well known sites - I've have experience of purchasing axolotls from Gumtree, which showed a seller less than 15 miles from me.
I know it's not nice having to get rid of pets, but really large tanks are the only other answer, which would be awesome if you have the room for it.  :)
Best of luck.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
Are there any restaurants local to you who have big fish tanks? I helped my dad round up and donate a shoal of tinfoils to a Chinese restaurant because they outgrew his tank and they had a huge tropical Aquarium that took up a whole wall! They lived for another 3 years after we passed them on... It was so cool to you back to the restaurant and see them growing.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
Sorry Paddy, but I read the first 4 or 5 words of your post and thought you were heading in a completely different direction  :)) . Donating large fish to a local restaurant tank is a really good idea, and visiting the fish is a good excuse for a night out instead of cooking dinner.

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 10:54:34 AM »
I have found the manual for the filter. The instructions aren't very helpful, are they!

So there is just one rectangular sponge inside the filter. I see the sponge is hollow (pic on Ebay!) - does it have anything inside?

According to the specs, the fan 3 plus is designed for tanks from 150 to 200 litres, with a flow rate of 700 litres per hour when set on max. So using it on a 180 litre tank is right at the top end of what it is rated for. I prefer to over-filter a tank.

For comparison, in my 180 litre tank I have two Eheim biopower filters, a 240 and a 200. I had the 240 in my old 125 litre tank, and although the quoted tank size for this filter is 160 to 240 litres, I felt it wasn't quite enough in the 180 litre tank so I added the second filter. And my tank isn't as heavily stocked as yours.

I would say you have 2 choices. Either add a second internal as I have done (in which case my personal recommendation would be either an Eheim biopower 200 or 240 or a Fluval U3 or U4) and turn the flow down slightly on both internals so you don't create a whirlpool; or get an external to replace the internal, and put the already cycled sponge from the Aquael filter into the external to preserve your bacteria colonies.
If you look at the third page of this thread you can see how Paddy has put some mature filter media into his new external. Sponges can be cut up to make them fit.
All Pond Solution filters do have a good reputation and they are cheaper than brands like Eheim of Fluval. The plastic parts aren't quite as robust so don't mis-treat an APS filter! The flow rate drops considerably once media is added - the quoted flow rates are without media - so look at the 1400 litre per hour models or even the 2000. You don't need UV, so it's not worth paying extra just for that. This is the company's page, you might well get them cheaper elsewhere.

With all filters, you don't need carbon. If whatever you buy comes with carbon, just leave that out and get more sponge/ceramic noodles etc.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
Sorry Paddy, but I read the first 4 or 5 words of your post and thought you were heading in a completely different direction  :)) . Donating large fish to a local restaurant tank is a really good idea, and visiting the fish is a good excuse for a night out instead of cooking dinner.

:rotfl:

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »
Right. The next instalment!!!  I have managed to get the plec and largest severum rehomed. They are getting collected later today. Will this make my tank stock ok? Or still over?  I really want a clear tank instead of the cloudy one I have at the moment.

I would love an external filter but money is tight at the moment so it will have to be a purchase I look into at a later date xxx

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
Right. The next instalment!!!  I have managed to get the plec and largest severum rehomed. They are getting collected later today. Will this make my tank stock ok? Or still over?  I really want a clear tank instead of the cloudy one I have at the moment.

I would love an external filter but money is tight at the moment so it will have to be a purchase I look into at a later date xxx

Have you found a home for the Clown Loach too? They need a tank of around 6foot otherwise they will become stunted.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
Not yet! I'm working on it lol xxx

Offline Sue

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
Well done on the plec and severum. If you can rehome the loaches as well, just leaving the one severum, that would be much better.

So you will have left the black phantoms, guppies, mollies, platies, angelfish, rams and one severum. That is so much better! Once you reduce your fish numbers, you'll find your water quality improves as the same number of bacteria will be dealing with less fish waste, both solid and ammonia.

If the water is still cloudy, something you could try is filter wool. That's the white fluffy stuff you might have seen in fish shops. If you could manage to squeeze a layer of it on top of the sponge in the filter, that would help to 'polish' the water. It would need replacing weekly but as it is not a very good home for the bacteria that wouldn't matter. You can buy filter wool by the metre at shops that sell pond fish (pond filters use lots of it)

Have you still got the crab?

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
The clown loaches are really tiny so hopefully they are OK in my tank until I can get a home for them as well.

So tonight after the plec and larger severum have gone, shall I do a water change to get rid of some of the cloudy water?  If so, how much would you change?  Also am I right in not squeezing the sponge out in the filter yet?  Am I naive to hope my water will be clear soon? Lol fingers crossed!!! Xxx

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 03:11:32 PM »
What are your ammonia and nitrite levels?

After removing the two fish tonight, you may find you water is cloudier simply because of stirring things up trying to catch them. In which case, definitely do a water change.

Leave it a day or so, then try cleaning the filter. Squeeze it very gently in some tank water - take a bit out if you aren't doing a water change.

And keep on cleaning the gravel.

Clown loaches do grow slowly so you have time to rehome them. But don't leave it too long or they'll become stunted as Simon said.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
Don't know my levels. My testing kit hasn't arrived yet. I might do a water change tonight and take a sample into my local shop tomorrow for them to test if mine still hasn't arrived by then. How many litres shall I change? Water very cloudy at the minute xxx

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 09:10:28 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2017, 04:15:59 PM
by MarquisMirage
86 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
by Littlefish
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2024, 12:16:28 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: