Newbie!!!

Author Topic: Newbie!!!  (Read 25655 times) 132 replies

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Newbie!!!
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2016, 10:13:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Unfortunately there is nowhere else for the tank to go. Our curtains in the living room are really thick and heavy so if algae is the problem, hopefully shading the tank from direct sunlight will help lol xxx

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2016, 10:40:50 PM »
...or, long-term, maybe some blinds for the window during the daytime as an alternative to keeping the tank covered?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
The debates about what causes Algae could go on and on.

There are lots of different opinions and ideas.

So here's my theory.

As Algae does rely on light for photosynthesis I would certainly look at limiting the sunlight. However, I believe that an excess of light alone is unlikely to cause Algae.

This belief is mainly down to the fact that I have my tank lights on for 12 hours a day and have recently even increased their brightness, and I'm still not getting an algae problem.

I reckon the algal bloom could also be caused by an excess of nutrients.

I have A LOT of plants in my tank so any excess nutrients, from fish waste or uneaten food, can be readily taken up by my plants.

Where there aren't an abundance of live plants I believe any excess in nutrients creates an ideal habitat for Algae.

What is your feeding regime like?
How often do you feed your fish?
Are your fish eating everything you put in the tank or are they leaving any?
Do you use a siphon to remove any excess food?

If it were my tank, I would initially perform a three day blackout to kill the existing Algae and then tighten up my feeding regimen to try and determine if a build up of uneaten food might be contributing to the algae bloom.

Maybe your feeding is fine, but your tap water might contain a high concentration of phosphates.

You can buy a kit to test your phosphates and then, if they are high, you can add a product to your filter to lower them.
But this is the next step after trying to ensure your feeding regime is good and any excess sunlight has been limited. Look at eliminating the easy things first and then, if necessary, move onto the more complex stuff.

Sorry for the long post, as I implied at the beginning, dealing with Algae isn't straightforward.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
Thanks for this. We feed them a small amount twice a day. The food is completely gone under 2 mins. We also give them bloodworm twice a week and again, this is gone within minutes.

We only have fake plants in the tank. Is there any type of real plant that would be particularly good at getting rid of algae?  Would it be worth me getting some?

The sunlight that has been shining on the tank is particularly strong and directly on the front.

We use a syphon to clean the pebbles (which we were getting black water from when we first got the tank!).

I'm still talking my hubby into doing the blackout. But once it's gone, I'm wondering if it would be enough to block the sunlight, leave in daylight from midday and then put the tank lights on from tea time?

Offline Sue

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »
It's going to be trial and error to find the right balance. In the absence of live plants, too much light is the first thing to think about. Rather than buy a phosphate test kit, you could see if any of your local fish shops will test for it, but take a sample of tap water as well as tank water. If the tank phosphate is high, the tap water test will tell you if it is coming from there or from something in the tank.

I am not good with plants, but there are a few even I can manage to grow. All my tanks have java fern and anubias (various species) attached to the decor. They will attach themselves to wood and plastic ornaments, though you do have to tie them on or even glue them in place to start them off. I also have hornwort in my 50 litre tank, though that does drop it's leaves like an old Christmas tree as it ages. I grow that wound round a piece of twiggy wood, though it can be planted or even left to float. Floating plants use nutrients quite quickly as they don't have to rely on carbon dioxide in the water - they can get it straight form the air.
If you want to get really into planted tanks, you'll need to take advice off someone who knows what they are doing  :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
We only have fake plants in the tank. Is there any type of real plant that would be particularly good at getting rid of algae?  Would it be worth me getting some?

The plants won't get rid of the algae exactly, but they should outcompete the algae for nourishment leaving the algae with not enough to survive.

That's the theory anyway. ;)

The plants Sue recommends are easy to grow and look quite attractive too.

Bear in mind if you go for Java Fern and/or Anubias that they have a Rhizome which mustn't be buried (else it rots killing the plant) so that's why these are attached to wood or rock.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »
Right. I'm hoping some of you are online tonight lol.

I've done a big water change in preparation for my 3 day blackout. I've also cleaned the big piece of wood that is in the tank.  The water is actually pretty clear at the moment. So the question is, do I need to do the 3 day black out? Or just try and cover when the sun is shining on the tank?  My understanding was that the 3 day black out was to kill the algae currently in the tank. But seen as my big water change seems to have done this, do I still need to do the blackout? As usual any advice greatly appreciated!!!! Xxx

Offline Sue

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2016, 09:00:32 PM »
If you've got the tank quite clear, wait and see what tomorrow brings. If your weather forecast for tomorrow is anything like here (black cloud symbol all day) you won't need to screen the tank. But if it is going to come back, even subdued daylight could do it. So if the tank has gone cloudy again by tomorrow evening, try the blackout from next day.
If it stays clear, give a big sigh of relief and arrange to screen the tank when the sun is shining. Or even just light cloud.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2016, 09:05:07 PM »
Fwiw, I would still do the blackout... Algae is present in invisible form before it becomes visible so I'd wager your clear water won't stay clear for long. It's like smoke from cigarettes, just cos you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

By not doing the blackout you won't be able to rule out the sunlight as the major contributing factor. It is the simplest and lowest cost (free) place to start in diagnosing your tank.

A 24hr delay won't harm anything I'm sure, so if you do as Sue recommends you might learn something useful.

I hope this helps your decision  :)

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2016, 09:08:18 PM »
That's great. Thanks so much. Again!!!! lol. I will see what the tank is like tomorrow and take it from there. Am enjoying my clear tank tonight. Haven't seen it like that in a while!!!!  I'll keep you posted tomorrow xxx

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
Go with the black out Silver and then we'll see what happens. Sue has a huge amount of knowledge, I would and do take her advice. I've only been fish keeping 3 years.

If it doesn't work we'll go with plan B

Offline Sue

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2016, 09:15:11 PM »
Delaying a blackout for 24 hours won't do any harm, it'll just go cloudy again if the cloudiness was a bloom. In 24 hours time, you'll know if it is going to be the best course of action.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
I'm praying for a clear tank in the morning lol. It's sooo nice to look at right now!!!! Xxx

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:43 PM »
That is going to be a beautiful tank btw. It's flipping hard when things go wrong, stick with and chin up, it will be solved.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
This forum is just so helpful to me as a new person who doesn't know what they are doing. If I could buy you all flowers, chocolate, wine or beer, I would do lol 💐🍫🍷🍺 xxx

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
Sorry, did someone mention beer?  8) :rotfl:

On behalf of the membership you are more than welcome, Silver, this is the very purpose of the forum. The nature of the setup is that in the future you will pass on your experience to people like yourself and keep the flow of knowledge running  :)

I still have so much more to learn than I already know so I am in the same boat as you. I've only been here for under a month!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2016, 10:40:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Silver, you've worked so hard on this tank you might need the chocolate/wine/beer for yourself.  ;D

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2016, 07:30:41 AM »
Silver, you've worked so hard on this tank you might need the chocolate/wine/beer for yourself.  ;D

I agree!  :cheers:

Good luck Silver, you've worked really hard and you've taken on a lot of information in a short space of time. I really hope your hard work pays off, but if not at least you have a plan.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Offline Silver633

• Fishy Member
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2016, 04:30:07 PM »
Update!!!  The tank is staying a lot clearer nowadays. We are closing the curtains on a night so the tank doesn't get daylight until about 7.30am ish. We are also stopping any direct sunlight and not putting the tank lights on until tea time.  We have bought 2 live plants (Anubia and something else lol).

The man in the shop said these plants were the easiest to keep alive and to just put the roots under our pebbles on the bottom. I've just been reading the previous post re. Plants and it says to not bury the roots? To stick them to something instead? Which should I do?

Is there anything else I could be doing to reduce algae? Maybe more plants? Xxx

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Excellent news your tank is clearing up, the little changes you have made obviously have made a big difference!

I can't say for certain what to do with your plants without at least seeing the plant and/or roots in a picture or even better to know the proper name of it...

I've been doing a lot of reading Aquarium plants, my shopping list grows ever longer and changes almost daily!

Hope things continue to improve  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newbie!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 09:10:28 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2017, 04:15:59 PM
by MarquisMirage
86 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
by Littlefish
19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 05:45:43 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2024, 12:16:28 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: