New To Fishkeeping

Author Topic: New to fishkeeping  (Read 4472 times) 10 replies

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
New to fishkeeping
« on: February 14, 2016, 07:42:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi all,we are new to this and we really enjoy our small tank and the fish we have.
We started two weeks ago with four harlequin rasboras , we've added some plants and a couple of decorations.
Excitedly this morning  I took one of our daughters to our local very large and very well stocked fish store.
Nancy being only six was a bit bewildered by the choice of fish available, she wanted neons but the young man attending to us said the tank isn't ready for neons yet but to wait a few weeks,we looked at a few different fish until she decided on some nice looking orange/red ones. Platys it seems. We added two purple rasboras to add to the harlequins and they get on famously. We get home to be met by more excited daughters and wife Charlotte, go through the process of adding the new fish to the tank and everyone is happy,fish included.
Then Charlotte goes online to find out more about our new Platys only to discover they are live bearers , we sex the fish and conclude we have two males and one female, cue more online investigation to discover the real possibility that the female could already be pregnant.
Why on earth would they sell this kind of fish to us when I had told him our tank was two weeks old and our fishkeeping knowledge is very limited ?
At this stage we do not want the responsibility of having to deal with fry,our tank is 35 ltrs.
Should I complain to the shop?
What is the norm in this situation?
We would hate to get rid of the female just because it's female and will get pregnant.
We were given no advice about the fish not even what the fish were but to be fair I didn't ask neither.
Before I go I in all guns blazing, any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John and Charlotte.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New to fishkeeping
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Hi Charlotte  :wave:

Unfortunately, shops are not the best for advice. Too many of them just see the ££££ and don't care.

To be honest, a 35 litre tank is not really big enough for platies. They need a tank at least 60cm (2 feet) long. I know the profiles on here say 45 cm is the minimum but that is really on the small side.

The best thing you can do is to take the platies back to the shop, and also buy a test kit while you are there. With fish in your tank for 2 weeks, the ammonia level will probably be quite high by now - another thing the shop won't have told you about.

Shops rarely explain about cycling. I'll explain the process briefly.
Fish make ammonia; it is their equivalent of urine. The problem is that it burns their skin and gills, making it hard for them to breathe. In a cycled aquarium, there are bacteria in the filter and the surfaces inside the tank which 'eat' this ammonia and turn it into nitrite. Unfortunately nitrite is also toxic. It binds to the fish's blood so it can't absorb oxygen - it does to fish what carbon monoxide does to us. But in a cycled tank, there is another species of bacteria which 'eats' nitrite and turns it into nitrate. This is only toxic at high levels and with a cycled tank we do water changes to remove it. This process of ammonia to nitrite to nitrate is called the nitrogen cycle, and we use the term 'cycling a tank' to mean the process of growing the necessary bacteria. These are slow growing bacteria and take several weeks to grow enough of them to convert all the ammonia made by the fish into nitrate. Until then, we have to do the job by doing water changes - every day if necessary. The good bit is that with 35 litres it won't take long.
This goes into more detail.

You need to get a test kit as soon as you can. Don't bother with strips that you dip into the water as they don't test for ammonia and you need that. The kind with bottles of reagent and test tubes are better and work out cheaper. Until you get the testers, can I suggest you change at least half the water every day to stop ammonia build up. Once you have the testers you can see how high ammonia and nitrite are and know exactly how much and how often to change.
You need to refill the tank with warm water that has been dechlorinated. If you have a combi boiler you can use hot tap water to warm the water to the same temperature as the tank; if you have a hot water cylinder you'll need to boil a kettle to warm it.

With a bit of work on your part, you can keep your fish alive until the tank cycles; then things will get easier.

With a 35 litre tank I would just get half a dozen harlequins and nothing else. Smaller tanks are harder to keep stable, and having a slightly under stocked tank makes it easier.

And don't listen to shops. Research before buying anything.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Welcome, both.  :wave: Glad you're enjoying the fish. I too have harlequin rasboras which are lovely.

LFSs vary hugely in terms of the advice which they give - some can be excellent, some can be very poor, and it often comes down to the individual assistant and even their own particular experience. For that reason, it's definitely worth doing research in advance, so that you know before your visit which fish are possibilities or not :) - or deliberately leave the purse/wallet behind so that you don't succumb to temptation and so that your visit is only an investigatory one until you've done the research :) .

Neons do indeed tend to fare better in more mature tanks. You haven't mentioned whether the you did a fishless cycle or not - http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/fish-or-fishless-cycling-and-aquarium-maturation and http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ - but even tanks which have been carefully prepared for the fish in this way still tend to need weeks/months to mature more fully before some species of fish are kept in them. [EDIT: Sue replied while I was composing my response - she has posted some very helpful advice to you on this aspect.]

As for the platies, LFSs tend to vary in terms of whether or not they'll take fish back. What I'd recommend you do is not complain as such but just explain that you are new to fishkeeping and hadn't been aware that these fish are livebearers and that this is not a responsibility you wish to have, so would they mind if you returned them - it's possible that you may be expected to buy something else in their place, whether fish or another product, so best to be prepared for this eventuality.

A key issue to establish is whether your water is hard or soft - take a look in your kettle (limestone indicates hard water) and your water company website to find out how soft or hard it is. The reason behind this is because it's best to have fish which are "compatible" with your water. Platies tend to fare better in hard water, so, if your water were soft, then that would be an added reason for returning the platies. Take a look at http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-profiles which should be help a lot in terms of which fish you like, which are compatible with one another and live in the same temperature range, which suit your water, the minimum tank size required for each, etc.

Have a look at the Community Creator section in the above weblink - it will help you work out whether the other fish you have are enough for your tank or whether you might be able to add any more. If it seems that your tank is already fully stocked with the fish that you have, then an idea might be that, if returning the platies and they wish you to exchange them for something else, that you exchange them for some fish food, dechlorinator, siphon or some other product.

Hope this helps but feel free to fire away with any other questions if this all seems like a minefield! :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The quality of staff in an aquarium shop is a bit hit and miss unfortunately. If you explain that you think there must have been a misunderstanding and with the welfare of the fish your priority, they should take them back.

Good luck and don't be put off. 

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
We have been aware of having to cycle the tank and have been doing regular tests which have all shown to be perfect, which means I am now doubting the accuracy of the test kit (api). having been back to the shop today they were surprised I didn't know they could give birth to live fry (we've had our tank two weeks) but were happy to swap for a male if we want. Whilst there I bought another test kit (jbl) that has shown what a waste the api kit is. I'm staggered by the differing advice given to new fish keepers so we're going with the shop advice because I can speak to them face to face. The shop seems to be a good shop, I just think I could have been given some advice rather than none. I will not be ignoring any advice given on here but I can't take everyones so I have to find what works for us. So far we have nine fish and we consider that the absolute maximum until we get a bigger tank which seems a foregone conclusion (don't laugh,you've been there I'm sure lol). Thanks for taking the time to reply and I assure everyone that your advice/comments are taken on board. I look forward to spending time on here when I'm not staring gormlessly at my fish. Thanks, John

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
Glad you have found a test kit that works for you. The API test kit ordinarily gets a good reputation among fish forum people although I haven't used it myself. I actually use a combination of test strips (JBL, Tetra) and liquid based kits (JBL, Waterlife, etc) and find advantages of having both to doublecheck against one another and against the water company's results. Liquid-based nitrate tests tend to be particularly difficult to get accurate readings on and need shaken vigorously.

Like you, I was staggered by differing advice when I first got involved in tropical fishkeeping and started looking and asking questions online - it was as though the advice online was more specific about certain aspects and the shops were helpful/friendly and more relaxed about the certain aspects such as fishless cycling, how many fish could be in a tank, minimum tank sizes for a particular species of fish, etc. However, I've been reading some interesting information recently about animal welfare around fish and possibly a reason why LFSs are more relaxed around these issues is because it's actually the fishkeeper's rather than the shop's responsibility to ensure that the fish are kept appropriately in the UK, in contrast to Germany and Switzerland and possibly other countries, where LFSs are also responsible and so tanks under 54L can't be sold for housing fish and there are much more stringent criteria around minimum shoal numbers, minimum tank sizes for specific fish and other aspects. Therefore, the information available on Thinkfish, such as in the fish profiles and community creator which are based on solid academic sources, are actually enshrined in legislation in other countries.

Appreciate that it probably feels like information overload but feel free to come back and bounce ideas off us as/when you like - and enjoy the gormless staring at the fish... I find them constantly fascinating. So, is the bigger tank instead of or in addition to the existing one? Perhaps this time next year, you'll find you have multiple tanks.  :rotfl:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »
I cant tell you how much time I can cheerfully spend staring into my tanks. It's very relaxing and I do the same with the ponds in the summer.

The advice some shops give is quite frankly shocking, I regard myself quite fortunate with my fav LFS, however I've found the advice here, consistent, sensible and scientifically and ethically based. The thing is here, nobody is trying to sell you anything and its a pooling of years of experience.

I look forward to piccies from your tank if you have time :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:50:52 PM »
... the advice here, consistent, sensible and scientifically and ethically based. The thing is here, nobody is trying to sell you anything and its a pooling of years of experience.

This is so true. Nobody here has a vested interest and our only concern is for the welfare of the fish.

I'd advise anyone to choose a different LFS as soon as they've been given poor advice. You have no reason to be loyal to a LFS, if they're only interested in your money then you're right to choose one that has the welfare of the livestock at heart too.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 06:47:41 PM »
Hi Simon - congrats on the promotion.

Whilst I agree that advice from LFS to LFS can vary greatly, I find it even varies hugely from employee to employee.

My local MA has two absolutely fantastic members of staff who will make sound recommendations based on tank size, compatibility, water chemistry, experience, shoal size, etc. However, there is one member of staff that Jim Henson would be proud of. I heard him telling a mother of 3 children that their 15l tank would be suitable for neons, rummynoses and black widows and that "they are small so the tank is fine". 

Makes my blood boil!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Charlotte

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:54 PM »
The next tank we get will be to replace this one (not had this one a month yet !). The problem I have with the api kit was the test water stayed the same colour as the test liquid, suggesting that nothing was happening which seems to be the case.
Thanks again.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:53:12 AM »
If the API ammonia test stays yellow it means you have no ammonia is all, same with the nitrite test, that will stay blue if there's no nitrites.

The only tricky one is the nitrates test as you have to shake the second bottle VERY hard for at least 30 secs and then the test solution for a further minute.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New to fishkeeping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
by MikeAqua
7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
by Richard W
9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 02:25:10 PM
by Evolution Stu
33 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 08:22:06 PM
by Matt
22 Replies
Last post September 15, 2017, 08:09:21 PM
by MarquisMirage
1 Replies
Last post November 19, 2017, 09:15:38 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: