New To Fish Keeping

Author Topic: New to fish keeping  (Read 45013 times) 171 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
New to fish keeping
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

Hi All!
I'm Resa and have just found this site after going online for help and info and just getting extremely confused and frustrated!  I've even phoned a supposed 'expert' and they just contradicted themself with every other sentence!!!
I see you have had problems with your previous incarnation of Thinkfish.  I wish you all success with this one, and hope to be an active member of it.
I am brand new at this fishkeeping lark and am desperate to eventually get my first fish.....yes, I know I have to be patient and wait until my shiny tank is properly ready and I AM trying but I have got thoroughly confused...everyone seems to tell me something different!  I suppose 'first fish' isn't quite correct because I always had goldfish and black moors as a child and then had shubunkins and little carp in a small garden pond.  Anyway, I digress (I tend to do that), I have also become the very proud owner of a little betta called Rafe.  He is beautiful and a gorgeous blue.  My other half bought him for  me, I think because he was fed up with me moaning "that it was going to be b***** 6 months before I would be able to put a fish in the tank!!!"
So, Rafe lives in his own apartment.
Anyway rambling on, I got my 60 litre tank for Christmas, but because of a million things didn't start doing it until last week.  I checked it for leaks, cleaned it, washed gravel, rocks, wood and plants and filled it.  Pump, heater all working fine, conditioned the water and it all looked beautiful......until the next morning!  The water had turned a lovely shade of nicotine brown!  I emptied it and started again....next morning, same thing!  Now, I realise it's probably the wood but I have been told different things that I must do, from take it out and throw it, (I'd rather not, I spent hours choosing the right piece, my hubby will vouch for that and I love it!) to leave it, the discolouration is harmless to fish....anyone have an idea?  Also, my water cycle stuff says on it to do a 3 day treatment, the fish guy at the shop says don't bother with that.
I'm really sorry to drone on at my first introduction, just keen to get going and actually get a fish!  By the way, I live in France so chats with the experts here are a little difficult.
Any help or advice would be SO welcome.  Thanks everyone.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: New to fish keeping
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
Bienvenue Resa

The lovely 'blackwater' effect you've got is from the tannins in your wood. If you can then take it out, boil it in a pan or, if it's too big, pour very hot water over it and scrub it with a clean brush that only ever gets used for your tank. You can then leave it to soak in a tub of dechlorinated water for a few days or until it's stopped leaking too much. It will always stain your water slightly - but that's good if your going for an Amazonian effect.

For cycling don't use the 3 day stuff.

Read this: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html

...and this: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html

Ask as many questions as you want - you'll get lots of good advice here.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
Bonsoir Colin,
Thanks for the feedback, I shall fish (pardon the pun) the guilty piece of wood out and begin scrubbing and soaking it immediately.
Out of curiosity, why do you say not to use the Nutrafin Cycle stuff?
Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »
There have been very mixed results with it - it seems to be very hit-or-miss and you could end up putting your fish through the cycle if you rely on it. I think it's always best to do a fishless cycle as you can practice doing water changes and moving rocks and wood around to get the best effect without stressing your fish. It also lets you get some plants established which is very beneficial to the fish when you put them in.

I've spent a lot of time in France over the past 30yrs (we have a cottage in Brittany) and I wish my French was 1/100th as good as your English. Je suis un nul. :-[

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
Hi Resa, we meet properly!

As Colin mentioned, a fishless cycle is the way to go, though cycling with fish can be done if you are prepared to put in the necessary work - lots and lots of water changes.

The basics are - fish secrete ammonia, but this is toxic to them. Bacteria eventually grow in the filter which convert the ammonia into nitrite. But nitrite is also toxic - and again, bacteria grow in the filter which convert it to nitrate. This is only toxic at high levels.
These bacteria take several weeks to grow, this is called cycling. The two ways to cycle the filter are fishless, where a source of ammonia is added to the tank so the bacteria grow before fish go in; and fish-in where a very small number of fish are put in, and the fishkeeper has to remove the ammonia and nitrite to keep the amounts extremely low while the bacteria grow.

There are more details on both methods here
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html

Read through them, then you'll be able to decide which is the best way for you.

Can I ask about Rafe? How long have you had him, what size tank is he in, what is your maintenance regime and have you monitored his water for ammonia and nitrite? As you'll gather from what I've already written, he could be in danger!
Colin's comments on the bottled bacteria products like Nutrafin Cycle are unfortunately quite true. Fish forums are full of new staretrs who use them and find their fish dying from ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

Offline Resa

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
Hi Colin & Hi Sue,

Firstly, thanks so much to both of you for all your advice so far, I wish I'd found this site sooner.  Secondly, I should have said that I am an expat....so probably why you think my english is ok, although having come originally from Essex, there are probably those who would disagree!  How lucky you are to have a cottage in Brittany, it's a beautiful area.  We live in the Tarn et Garonne region so we're a bit more used to carp than tropical fish!
As for Rafe...oh my goodness, I hope he is ok.  The people in the fish shop assured me he would be alright.  I had looked on the internet to find out about them as I really wanted one in my aquarium.  It said that you must have a very gentle filter/pump as they originate from slow or no running streams.  The man at the shop also said this.  We went to all the fish shops we could find to look at the fish and see which ones looked most healthy, (also to buy gravel, bogwood, rock etc).  Everyone of them had bettas, one in each aquarium set up, and loads more in their individual jars.  Some of them literally in jam jars with holes punched in the lids! Others were in cylindrical glass containers.  A lot of them looked very sorry for themselves.  We hadn't intended to get one just yet, but best intentions...  Anyway, Rafe was purchased after spending probably 25 minutes choosing between them.  He lives in a 4 litre tank with the idea that when the aquarium was settled and a few fish had moved in, he could join them without being too territorial as he wouldn't be first in, I don't know if that even has any merit to it, but I thought it might help.  Well, he has only been with us for just over a week, but I love him!  His fins have all perked up and flow beautifully and his lovely blue colour has really brightened and intensified.....please don't tell me that is a sign of him being stressed!  He comes to me at the glass as soon as he sees me and seems to be feeding well, (although he only has 2 or 3 bits a day).  Two days after setting him up he made himself a bubble nest.  I am unsure whether to leave it or to take it away from him when I change his water. 
What do you think?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
Bonjour Resa

I know nothing about Betta fish and (not being too sure if this is good manners on a forum to direct you to another forum) but there's a dedicated Betta site that might help here: http://www.bettafish.com/

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
Bonjour Colin,

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »
I've had a coffee time browse and this is a good thread on Betta care:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:19:01 AM »
Resa, the best thing you can do for your betta is daily water changes, using a dechlorinator to treat the new water. Having big fins they are susceptible to ammonia burns, so keep an eye out for ragged edges. And don't forget they are tropical fish - they need water kept at around 25oC.

You'll find an awful lot of people will tell you that bettas only need to be in tiny tanks because they live in puddles in the wild. Shop workers are among the worst for this kind of mis-information. Wild bettas live in paddy field-type environments, vast areas of shallow slow moving water. They have evolved to survive in puddles during the dry season rather than live in them permanently.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
I'm glad to see another newbie fish keeper on the board! I've had my tank cycling for the last two weeks, it's a long process but I'm hoping it'll be worth it in the end! :)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
daily water changes, using a dechlorinator to treat the new water.

It's just occurred to me that France may treat the water supply differently from the UK. Do you know what your supplier uses to disinfect the water? In the UK and USA it's either chlorine or chloramine, depending on the which the company chooses, and we use a dechlorinator to remove it. If French water companies use something different, the fish shops should sell whatever is needed to remove that chemical.

Offline Resa

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
HI All,

Thanks Colin for taking the time to find Betta sites for me...I think I have been on every one!  I have now removed my piece of bogwood (from the aquarium, not Rafe's tank), and am unsure whether I'll bother putting it back even after boiling it.....it does turn the water such a yucky colour.  I may go look for another rock or pebbles instead.  Anyway, of course it means I've got to take the water out ...again!  I wonder if I'll ever get this water ready for fish!

Thanks for the welcome Jesnon, I wish you good luck with your cycling, it's really hard, isn't it, to not just get fish and put them in?  It's a bit like Christmas as a kid, you really want to sneakily open your presents, but you know you have to wait for Christmas morning!

Now, to Sue's points.  I have been partially changing Rafe's water every couple of days.  I have kept a container of water which has had the stuff to get rid of the chlorine, standing so that it starts at room temperature and I can top up his tank when I need to.  At the moment he doesn't have a dedicated heater but is near the log burner, which has been burning since November and will stay alight until probably March/April.  After that, I will have more idea what I am doing (I hope), and will know if he will go in the main aquarium or not.
As for the water treatment in France, I have no idea what they use, and probably if I telephoned them and asked they wouldn't know either!  The gallic shrug being in regular employ here!  You would think that they would sell the right stuff, wouldn't you?  But who knows?  The treatments they sold me were Nutrafin Cycle and Nutrafin Aqua Plus.
As in the UK, different shops here tell you different things.  For example, 2 places said I could have an 8 spot puffer in my tank and 1 place said I couldn't.  It makes it very difficult for novices to learn when you get conflicting advice.  I have enough trouble retaining new info these days as it is!

Anyway, you guys seem to know your stuff so I am afraid you are probably stuck with me and my stupid questions....sorry.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask  :) We all started once and know what it's like. It's a very steep learning curve at the beginning.

One piece advice I always give to newcommers to the hobby. Don't trust the shop. There are some that offer good advice, but until you have more experience you won't know which ones they are. Until then, double check everything they tell you :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 11:00:31 AM »
Don't give up on the wood. With enough soaking out of the tank, it will leach enough of the tanins that you won't be able to see any discolouration of the water when it goes back into the tank. I spent the best part of a week soaking my bits of bogwood ( a lot longer for the enormous piece I have). The easiest way is to leave the wood in a bucket /sink etc, and pour boiled water over it. When the water has gone cold, empty the bucket and pour more boiled water over it. Repeat until the water is no longer tea coloured, and you're happy with the colour. Bear in mind that when your tank is set up and you are doing regular water changes, any colour that does leach out will gradually be removed.

I have a feeling that most of the rules that govern our water quality in the UK are EU set. Which means that the French have similar processes. One thing that is different, is that I think they flouridate their water. And they may use more chlorine than we do in the UK. I spent a year living in Toulouse (a decade ago, now!) and I remember the water that came out of the tap sometimes smelling REALLY chloriney. I couldn't bring myself to drink it on those days, so when it smelled better, I'd fill up large bottles of water to keep in the fridge for drinking.

I don't know how much the water quality differs across the different regions, but there may be websites for the French water companies. And it might be easier to find the information you want, if you can read through it at your own pace.

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
HI Helen,
Thanks for that.  The bogwood is soaking and has been now since I read your post.  The water is still quite a good builders tea shade but I shall keep it soaking for as long as needed.
I know what you mean about the french water, we have a couple of times commented on it smelling a bit strong of chlorine.  Well, onwards with the tank...just want to get some fish!

Offline Resa

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »
Hi All,
I've just been looking at the Aquascapes, and was quite taken with the one with all the moss balls.  Are they a good addition to a tank or not?  Do they need any special care?  I've read that they trap dirt and keep algae down, is this right?
If they're ok to have where's the best place to get them?  Is online ok?  Living in France I don't know if I can get them at my fish stores here, I certainly haven't seen any.
Thanks.

Offline Resa

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 12:54:13 AM »
Me again!
I forgot to ask...what about a Figure 8 Puffer?  Are they easy to keep and would they be alright with most other fish?  I would really like one of these, they look as if they have real character.
Thanks again.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 01:53:43 AM »
Moss balls are apparently very easy! all you need to do is give them a squeeze during water changes apparently and they pretty much look after themselves! I'm getting one eventually too as they seem great for beginners. Ive seen them in nearly ecery shop here so I'd look around! I don't know anything about fish but you need to look into your water hardness and ph to know which fish will best suit your tank - have a go with the community creator on here too!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
Morning Jesnon,
Another night-owl, huh?
Cheers for that, I'm going to go to  the fishy shops on Tuesday for a look-see (shops are closed on Mondays here).  It will be very hard going again and still not coming out with any fish, still....if something's worth doing....

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New to fish keeping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 02:09:34 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 05:32:34 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2016, 10:35:58 AM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 01:38:23 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: