New To Fish Keeping

Author Topic: New to fish keeping  (Read 45120 times) 171 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New to fish keeping
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The shrimp are doing nothing at the moment apart from sitting in a floating plant. I've only had them 5 days so it's a bit early to tell, they may be just getting used to things or they may well be very lazy. :)

The fish (cherry barbs, 5-band barbs, guppies and a platy) ignore them. I'll post if anything changes but I'm a bit disappointed at the moment - perhaps I should've got Amano shrimp instead. :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
I have entered my fish choice in the community tank...and amazingly, it seems ok!  No warnings or problems indicated.
My final selection (if I can get them) are:

Poecilia Reticulata
Colisa Lalia
Boehikea Fredcochui
Melanotaenia Praecox
Corydoras Panda

I don't know quite how you've tweaked the list but you could get most of those fish straight away. If you were doing a fish-in cycle it would be different.
You said the guppies in the shop were locally bred? They'll be much hardier than the ones mass bred in the Far East.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »
You said the guppies in the shop were locally bred? They'll be much hardier than the ones mass bred in the Far East.

Mine were obviously bred in the Far East 'cos another one looks like it won't be seeing tomorrow at the moment. :'(

...and I was really hoping I might be able to go a month without a guppy turning up it's toes. *sigh*

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »
Hi Sue & ColinB,
By tweaking I mean that as you so rightly said my tank won't accomodate all the fish I had wanted in the numbers they need to be in. I had planned on about 5-7 guppies, 1 male colisa, with the rest being made up of blue tetras, dwarf rainbowfish and panda corys....oh, and I still fancy a little miss. betta!  I haven't seen any pandas here yet, just some little albino ones. Nor have I seen blue tetras but the fish shop did have some rainbows and colisas.  I will ask them if they can order in certain fish but I am worried that they then could come from anywhere?  Yes, the little guppies were bred just an hour away, so hopefully they'll be a bit tougher than Colin's have been.
I'm a bit disappointed with my test reults today, they are:

G.H.      180
K.H.       240
P.H.       7.0
Nitrites   3
Nitrates  80
Ammonia 1.5

I'm assuming that I should ammonia test again tonight, then add more and test again when mixed.  Then test again 12 hours later?

In the wee small hours I was looking at the rest of the site and was reading on different methods of cycling.  I was very interested in the 'Bactinettes' method.  Does anyone know anything about it, or used it?  I looked on the net but couldn't see anywhere to buy it.  Anyway, just curious...

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
Bactinettes was the only  'bottled bacteria' sold in the UK at that time that worked. It was similar to biospira sold in the US. Both of these had a very short shelf life and had to be kept refridgerated. Not a lot of shops sold bactinettes (too much chance of reaching the expiry date before it was sold) and I'm pretty sure they stopped making it a while ago.
Biospira, the US one, was made by Marineland. They were taken over and the product replaced by Safe Start which is available in Europe. It is one of the few products that is reputed to work some of the time.

See what your ammonia reading is tonight. If it is above zero, wait till tomorrow night to add more. You don't want to risk pushing your nitrite up too high. That will go up quite fast because 1ppm ammonia gets turned into 2.7ppm nitrite.

Offline Resa

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
Thanks Sue.
Sorry to be thick, but I'm assuming if tonights test is zero for ammonia, I should dose again?

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
Sorry, I should explain better.

If the ammonia drops to zero, top up at the usual time. If the ammonia has not dropped to zero, test again next day and if it's dropped then, top up that night.

It's a balancing act. You need to add enough ammonia to keep the ammonia eaters fed but not too much as that would result in a massive amount of nitrite.

Offline Resa

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »
Thank you for all your help, Sue.  It's not your explaining that's at fault, it's just me being thick and paranoid about messing everything up when I am so close to getting some fishes!  Other Half is muttering things like " should have got you another cat..."

Offline ColinB

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »
...you can get a cat as well!

... or perhaps two. ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
Already got 6!

Offline Resa

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
OK...so ColinB isn't the only one with babies in his tank!  Although, I suspect his surprise arrivals are a lot more welcome than mine.  This afternoon, as I looked at the tank, marching(?) purposefully across the sand was a baby snail....boy, he had got some speed up!  On closer inspection I spotted 3 more on the glass.  I assume they have come in as eggs on the last plants I added.  How long do snails eggs take to hatch?  I have no idea what sort they are or even, if any sort is welcome in your tank?  Should I nab them when I see them?
Anyway, put some more ammonia in last night and tested today...no ammonia.  I shall add some more tonight and see what the readings are tomorrow. 
I bought some more water conditioner in preparation for plenty of water changes if needed, and it had attached to it a bottle of Tetra Safe Start as a freebie.  Now, whether it's because the stuff doesn't sell well that they're giving it away, I have no idea.  Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt so I put that in the tank today.
I spoke to the chap in my nearest fish shop and he said if I gave him my list of fish I want he would get them in for me.  I asked where they came from and he said they were all local.  He seemed surprised by my asking and when I asked if all his fish came from nearby as opposed to a large supplier or Asian sources he looked at me like I was mad and laughed.  Then he realised I wasn't joking and said no he only used local breeders.  I'm guessing that's a good thing but for the first time since I have been to that shop I saw 2 dead fish in his tanks, one sadly, was a little 8 spot puffer, so that is obviously a bad thing.  I suppose fish shops get their share of fatalities too.  Should I avoid this shop now though?
Any thoughts most welcome....

Offline Sue

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
It is common for shops to have fatalities especially for fish that are imported from huge fish farms (the trauma of the journey, conditions at the farms etc)

Interesting that the chap said they were all locally bred. I wonder if he has any fish that are difficult to breed and are usually wild caught? Eg, does he have neon tetras (very difficult, the eggs have to be kept in the dark and the fish need very soft acid water and usually come from farms) or loaches such as dwarf chain loaches (can only breed in captivity with the use of hormones)

The Safe Start won't hurt. It is supposed to be the replacement for Biospira, only Safe Start doesn't have to be refridgerated.

Snails are common problem with live plants. A lot of plants are treated with snail killing chemicals, which doesn't always work. So long as they don't get out of control the problem is mainly aesthetic. The main thing that leads to a snail population explosion is overfeeding fish. They need less food than most newcommers think.
You can leave the snails there, or pick them out when you see them - or crush them against the glass once you have fish, they'll appreciate the snack - or use something like the lettuce leaf technique (it never works for me though) which involves weighting a leaf of lettuce down in the tank last thing at night then taking it out first thing in the morning hopefully covered in snails.
There are snail killing chemicals but do you really want a load of dead snails rotting in your tank where you can't find them?
I have snails in my tanks, nerite snails which I bought and small flat snails (a type of ramshorn) which I didn't buy and have had for years. I crush them when I see them but nothing else, there aren't that many.

Offline Resa

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2013, 07:17:46 PM »
Hi Sue,
Interesting....yes, he did have some Neon Tetras also Emperor Tetras, so perhaps he's telling me porkies!  I'm going to another shop tomorrow.  It's a large pet store in a bigger town.  They have a large fish department including some beautiful marine set-ups.  My youngest son has moaned that all the messing about with starting my tank, I should have had a marine one!  My eldest son has had a marine aquarium for about 10 years now and I clearly remember him having to jump through hoops to get it stabilized.  I have to say though, it is stunning.  One of his fish is from his original group and he is extremely fond of him.
Anyway, as you know, I digress!  I shall see what the fish look like at the big store also at the garden centre near there.  It's very different getting livestock of any sort in France.  The pet stores still sell puppies and kittens.  They are all pedigrees, (not that I'm saying they're better) and come from local breeders.  The naming of pedigree animals is quite strict too, they have a different letter for each year, (a bit like a car registration) and the animal is registered with a name beginning with the designated letter.  This years letter is H.  It's very tough seeing cats and dogs in a pet shop environment but I have to say they are kept scrupulously clean and thestaff have always got one or other in their arms giving them a cuddle or generally playing with them.  Customers are also able to hold them, they have had their first vaccinations....the animals, that is, (don't know about the customers)!!!
I shall keep an eye on snail numbers and pick them out if they look like taking over!
Can't wait to get some fish!!!!!

Offline Resa

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
Ok peeps...some advice please?  I added 1.2 ml ammonia to my tank last night and have tested the water today with the following results:

G.H.          180
K.H.          240
P.H.           8.0
Nitrites         3
Nitrates     160   (eek!)
Ammonia   0.25

I'm thinking I need to do a fairly drastic water change......quick!  What do you all think?  I know though, that when you have added Tetra Safe Start, you're not supposed to do any water changes for at least a week, I think even maybe 2 weeks.  I'm unsure of the way ahead...any advice gratefully received, thanks.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
Definitely sounds like you need a big water change to me :-) I wouldn't worry about losing your safe start too much... they don't really seem to do much, and if they have worked your bacteria should be growing in your sponges etc now and not in the water itself... I think getting your nitrates back down will be better so it doesn't stall your cycle. However I'm only just nearing the end of my first ever cycle so maybe wait until TigzFish or someone sees this to do anything!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »
Definitely sounds like you need a big water change to me :-) I wouldn't worry about losing your safe start too much... they don't really seem to do much, and if they have worked your bacteria should be growing in your sponges etc now and not in the water itself... I think getting your nitrates back down will be better so it doesn't stall your cycle. However I'm only just nearing the end of my first ever cycle so maybe wait until TigzFish or someone sees this to do anything!

I agree entirely. Your ammonia eating bacteria are doing fine and a 50% water change will still leave 1.5ppm of NO2 for the others to munch on.

Offline Resa

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »
aah..thanks guys.  I thought that was what was needed, but it's always nice to have other input when you're a complete beginner!  I have been following your progress with great interest, Jesnon....well done, it sounds like fishes are just a heartbeat away for you.....how exciting!
Thanks ColinB for your patience and encouragement, it's most welcome.
Should I add more ammonia tonight after I've done my water change, if so, how much?  Do I need to change the water again tomorrow or Sunday or will it depend on tomorrows water test?
Thanks.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »
My pleasure!

I'd say no more ammonia tonight - the ammonia eaters will easily survive until tomorrow and it'll give you a chance to see what's happening with the Nitrite bugglies. Adding ammonia will cloud the issue and just (eventually) add to the Nitrates you're producing. You must have a decent quantity of the little Nitrite chompers to be getting such a high Nitrate reading.

In my humble opinion, anyway!  ;D

p.s. I've just bought 4 more five-band barbs to add to my little flock of 5. They're great little fish for a smallish tank (55litres). They're just acclimatising as I type this. whoopie  8)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Thanks Resa, I can't wait now! It does sound like your cycle is progressing much faster than mine did! You'll have to take some pictures of your new arrivals Colin!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
You'll have to take some pictures of your new arrivals Colin!

I'll try, but the little buggers won't stay still.

It does seem rather strange that, on a forum dedicated to fish, there's not a section specifically for one's fish. There's fish health, identification etc., but nothing just to chat about (or show off) one's nice, healthy, well identified, well maintained, ready cycled, fish! Ho-hum.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New to fish keeping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 02:09:34 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 05:32:34 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2016, 10:35:58 AM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 01:38:23 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: