New To Fish Keeping

Author Topic: New to fish keeping  (Read 45107 times) 171 replies

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: New to fish keeping
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2013, 12:26:13 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi are a south american ciclid.  They are, as cichlids go, rather peaceful.  However, they are very susceptible to hard water and also require temperatures of around 30C that are unsuitable to most other fish.

That's the  bad news.  The good news is that they have a close relation called the Bolivian Ram, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, that are pretty good in a community tank.  They can get a bit aggressive, particularly at breeding time, but it is mostly aimed at it's own kind.  So a pair of them can make a good addition.  They are a little plainer than the ramirezi though.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
Morning Steve,

Thanks for that info.  They're quite pretty, aren't they?  I just looked them up on the C.C.  I can see why you could end up with 17 different tanks :D  Everytime I go to a fish shop or have a look online, I see another fish that is so lovely, and then inevitably, there's a reason why I can't have it :D  Then again, I suppose we are looking at a creature from all different areas of the world, with all the varying environmental factors and then expect to pick a handful based usually, let's face it, on how they look, and put them all together in a massively scaled down waterworld.....and are then surprised that they don't all get on!

My other half says that all the tropical tanks he has seen in dentists waiting rooms and office receptions for instance, don't usually look like they have had much care and often just have a sad looking group of neons in them with maybe a lone angel  for company.  Of course, with even the little knowledge I have acquired, I now wonder how any of these fish could still be surviving. :(

I wish in a way that I could have got my pandas when I got my other fish as they are all settled and look and behave like they have always been in my tank.  Their colours have all intensified so much, my colisa is simply stunning and the guppies have developed a lovely sheen....in fact I love them all!  I hope that when I can eventually get my little pandas they settle in as well and it doesn't rock the boat too much :)

Did you get to go to your fishy shop the other day or are you going over the weekend after all?  Don't forget to tell us if you get anything good!  Aren't we a nosey lot? :D
Have a good Saturday!

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »
Evening All,

I was wondering...when I can get my panda corys, what ratio male to female should I get or doesn't it matter?  I am planning on having six as Sue suggested.
Cheers...

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
With fish like cories the sex ratio doesn't matter very much. You'll see mating behaviour with at least male and at least one female. When a particular female is ready to spawn, all the males will chase her and ignore all the other females. Females are plumper than males escpecially if you can view them from above. Tip - if you want them to spawn, when you do a water change make sure the new water is a few degrees cooler than the tank water. In the wild the spawning trigger is the melt water coming down from the mountains. Not that the eggs will last long in a community tank.

Offline Resa

« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »
Just spotted 2 fry in my weed!!!  (Platys)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
How's your tank going Resa? :-)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2013, 11:27:31 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

At the risk of jinxing.....ok, I think :)  Everyone seems to be healthy and happy, and their colours are really intensifying.  I keep trying to count how many fry there are but they move about too quickly.  There are at least 6 though.  It's quite amazing how they vary so much in size, some are still really tiny and a couple of the others are about a cm long and starting to get their marbling pattern.  I'm going to try and get some pics tomorrow ;D
My big fish have been so good with the babies and haven't seemed to have bothered them at all.
Still really want to get my panda corys though :)

How's everything going with your tank?  Have all your endlers settled in and made themselves at home?  What will you get next, do you think?

Resa

Offline jesnon

« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
Ooh glad to hear it! Looking forward to seeing some more pictures :-) Fingers crossed it won't be too long until you can get your panda corys!

All my endlers look happy and well, even the little blue one that I was so worried about after his tank mate died. They all seem to swim around together a lot more, there's just one that usually swims around on his own but he'll join the group for anything interesting!

Because my tank is so small today I'm going out to get the replacement fish for my one that didn't make it and that's it for my tank fishwise unfortunately! But I'm keen to get shrimps soon! Unfortunately they sound like a long way off!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
Added my replacement endler earlier,he already seems much happier. Fingers crossed!

Offline Resa

« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
Oh, good news, Jesnon :)  I'm really pleased you're up to full strength on endlers again.  What colour is this one?

Resa

Offline jesnon

« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »
He's one of the Japanese blue endlers, so now I've got:

Two Japanese blue
Three more traditional endlers
Three 'green' endlers (the ones with the peacock style colouring)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2013, 07:59:29 AM »
Good news on the new fish..... but you know the rules: New fish = new photos! ;)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New to fish keeping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 02:09:34 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 05:32:34 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2016, 10:35:58 AM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 01:38:23 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: