New To Fish Keeping

Author Topic: New to fish keeping  (Read 45020 times) 171 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New to fish keeping
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
That's a good point actually! I'll certainly be showing off mine when I finally get them ha

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »
Oh they're sweet, aren't they, ColinB?  I was looking at them here the other day, but I was put off having any of the barb family because I read somewhere that they can be nippy!  I thought they might take exception to my guppies when I get them.  Please put a piccie of them up though...I'd love to see them.  I agree that a section to show your tanks and new fishy arrivals would be great.  I'm sure when I eventually get mine I will still have a zillion questions about their health and well-being.
I don't know if my tank is progressing any quicker than yours, Jesnon.....I'm a long way off still, I suspect.  I did have a bit of a false start when I had to empty it all away after my bogwood leached yucky brown everywhere!  I'm quite pleased with my plants, they seem to be doing well and a few of them have new growth after I gave them a haircut!  In hindsight, I wouldn't have had gravel in my tank, just sand.  I have put quite a large swathe of sand in the tank because I read that my little panda corys (when I get them!) might hurt themselves on gravel.  I'm really chuffed with how the sand looks.  The things I love the most though, are my moss balls.  I have called them 'Moss Bros', those 'oldies' amongst us will perhaps remember the gents outfitters!

Really disappointed yesterday, we went to go to the large fish store about 40 minutes away....and about 15 minutes in to the journey we got a puncture!  The stupid car only had one of those ridiculous skinny tyres as a spare, so big day out to fish shop had to be aborted.  I won't be able to go now until next week.

Do any of you keep an eye on the forum at weekends?  I only ask in case my water tests throw up anything scary!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »
By the way, what's the difference between junior member, full member etc?

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:03 PM »
By the way, what's the difference between junior member, full member etc?

Just the number of posts - you 'become' a full member after 100 posts. I think you'll become a 'junior member' with one more post. :)

I don't tend to look at the forum over the weekend I'm afraid.

The five-band barbs are lovely and have never even tried to nip one of my (few remaining) guppies. (Sage the Guppy died this morning of some unknown cause.  :'(  At least he had the decency to wait until March so that I've had a death-free month in Feb!!!))

The Five-band barbs have a bit of a chase of each other, but that's about it. They hang out together at the front of the tank, just above the gravel where I've got dead leaves (beech and Indian almond) and under the overhanging leaves of crypt plants.

The Cherry barb boys are a bit terratorial and flare their fins at each other and chase a bit. The Barbie-girls (cherry) stay together more, however, the cherry barbs don't shoal like the five-bandy barbs do. They hang out more in the middle at the back amongst the plants.

Bizarrely, Crumble the Platy (boy) stays with the chery barb girls and chases the boy barbs away.

I'll try some piccies next week. I don't want camera flash spooking brand new arrivals just yet.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
Oh, sorry to hear about Sage.  How many guppies do you have left?  Your tank sounds brilliant with all the foliage....I look forward to seeing a piccie when all the new arrivals have settled in.
Have a great weekend, see you on Monday, I expect!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
Oh, sorry to hear about Sage.  How many guppies do you have left?  Your tank sounds brilliant with all the foliage....I look forward to seeing a piccie when all the new arrivals have settled in.
Have a great weekend, see you on Monday, I expect!

Thanks Resa. I've got a small hospital tank set up (the tank of death!) with one Platy (Biscuit) 'cos he and Crumble the Platy fought like.... er, similies fail me on that one. There's a Guppy (Bayleaf) with fin-rot in there with him.

In the main tank there're three Guppies (Fennel, Mint and Mustard) along with one Platy, 6 Cherry Barbs, 9 Five-band barbs and 4 Red Cherry Shrimp. If you call them names it 'hurts' more when they turn up their fishy toes. *sigh*.

Have a bon weekend yourself - I hope it's a good one for you and yours.

p.s. You're now a 'junior member'. Congrats!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »
There is a section for photos  ;D

Scroll down the index page to 'community' and the second section in there is 'gallery showcase'. You'll find a couple of my threads there already  ;D

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2013, 11:35:11 PM »
It does seem rather strange that, on a forum dedicated to fish, there's not a section specifically for one's fish. There's fish health, identification etc., but nothing just to chat about (or show off) one's nice, healthy, well identified, well maintained, ready cycled, fish! Ho-hum.

There's "General fishkeeping chat" if you don't want to post photos

Do any of you keep an eye on the forum at weekends?  I only ask in case my water tests throw up anything scary!
There's usually someone around.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »
Thanks for that, Steve.  That's good to know...

Offline Sue

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
I'm usually around on weekends, just not as often as weekdays. Husband - "You're not messing round with fish sites again!!!!!!" I reckon if he is looking at music sites, I can look at fish sites. That's what he's doing now, so I'm here  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
Sounds perfectly acceptable to me!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »
I know... I keep getting the same, even though he spends eons on the bloody computer!!!!!

Offline Resa

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
Hi!
Didn't add ammonia last night and did a massive water change as advised.  I have done water tests today but I guess they won't help much as they're just testing mostly fresh water?  Anyway, these were the results:

G.H.         120
K.H          240
P.H.          8.0
Nitrites        0
Nitrates     40
Ammonia     0

Should I add ammonia tonight and how much?
Thanks guys.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
Yes you should add ammonia.  Having 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites isn't helping your cycle at all.  I would add enough to get your ammonia up to 4 or 5 ppm.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Thanks Steve, I'll do that.  What do you suggest amount wise?  2 or 3ml ammonia, it's a 60 litre tank but I have a fair bit of substrate and planting.

Offline Sue

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »
The amount of ammonia you need to add depends on the strength of the ammonia in the bottle. The common % is 9.5 but yours could be different. For 60 litres and 9.5% you would add about 2.5ml, but if the bottle is stronger than 9.5% you need less, or vice versa.

I suggest you add 1ml, wait about 20mins for it to mix in, then test for ammonia. if the reading is too low, add more.

Offline Resa

« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
Thanks Sue.  My ammonia strength is 13%.  I just didn't want to test too often until my next ammonia test kit arrives.  I'm not sure how many tests I have left in my bottles.

Offline Resa

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
OK....here are the shipping forecasts...oh, alright then...my water tests!
Sundays:

G.H         120
K.H.        240
P.H.         7.5
Nitrites    0.5 to 1
Nitrates   40 to 80
Ammonia    0

I added 2.5ml ammonia Sunday night, and todays results are:

G.H.        120
K.H.        240
P.H.         7.5
Nitrites    0.5 to 1
Nitrates   40 to 80
Ammonia   0

Should I add more ammonia tonight?  Am I nearly there? ???
Thanks!

Offline Sue

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Yes, add more ammonia. You still have nitrites so you need to keep dosing until they too drop to zero within 12 hours of adding the ammonia.

How many ppm does you dose of ammonia equate too?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
You'll have to take some pictures of your new arrivals Colin!

I've put a couple of piccies in the Gallery section. They're not very good and I couldn't get the fish to smile, but it's a start.  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New to fish keeping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 02:09:34 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 05:32:34 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2016, 10:35:58 AM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 01:38:23 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: