Beginner - New To Fish Keeping, Would Like Some Help And Advice :)

Author Topic: Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)  (Read 30634 times) 205 replies

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2019, 11:50:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
An angelfish requires a tank of 100cm in length (100x40x50cm) and has a tendency to eat small fish like tetras or harlequins, so definitely not a suitable option.

If I were you, for a tank of that size, I'd keep all your harlequins including the babies, increase the number of cardinals to 9 as well, and it would make a lovely tank as it is.  The colour of the cardinals and the patterning of the harlequins, with their increase in numbers, would make a very visually attractive tank - no need for a feature fish as well as them and the otos.  If you were absolutely determined to have a feature fish, though, then a honey gourami might be a nice suitable option.

They definitely do look stunning in the setup I’ve got, I’ll admit but I feel like a lot of the space is wasted... the Harlequins band together right in the centre of the tank and the cardinals seem to want to be there too apart from occasionally dipping behind the plants or hovering in the space below the filter so my thoughts were that a feature fish would encourage them to make use of the whole of the tank and not just the centre of it because it seems a shame that there’s a fair amount of space that just never seems to be occupied (I know that not all the space should be occupied at one time of course)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Little update as it’s been a while since you guys have heard from my tank! After losing one adult Harlequin Rasbora, the other 5 adults and 3 babies seem to have adapted well. They’re all still swimming happily together in the middle of the tank.
Despite having only 4 Cardinal Tetras (which have amazing colouring!), they seem to be quite confident and are very happy to be seen in all area of the tank.
My plants are doing ok but I’ve had to take one or two out and have now been replaced with others so I stand at 4 types of plants alongside a big hunk of floating water sprite which is doing amazingly. It’s put down some really quite long roots and has quite a lot and the Cardinals in particular (and the baby Harlequins) enjoy swimming through the roots after their feeding time. I only have one water sprite shoot in there as it’s quite big and if I had more, it limits the amount of light the plants at the bottom get.
I’m still struggling with snails (the Assassin snails did nothing to help before unfortunately dying) but they’re not causing a problem so far.
Two days ago I changed out the other half of the filter media as suggested a while back so it’s now all sponge. I also gave the used filter media to my sister in a hopes it will give her next fish a better chance of surviving since she’s running her filter with that for a time before getting the fish. I realise it might just kill the bacteria to go into colder water but worth a try I suppose.
Once the 6 weeks is over, I plan to get another 4 Cardinals to boost their numbers so will have equal numbers of Cardinals and Harlequins, having abandoned a hope of a suitable feature fish.
There is a chance we will be moving house soon however and there may be a possibility of a second tank for a Betta or if not, I hope to get one once I have set up residence in Newmarket alongside my existing tank.
Hope you enjoy the update, let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said could be improved.

Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2019, 08:51:08 PM »
The floating plants will have access to atmospheric co2 and more light so tend to grow much faster. They can also be used very effectively to monitor for any deficiencies which would show up here before they would in the slower growing submerged plants.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2019, 08:54:34 AM »
The floating plants will have access to atmospheric co2 and more light so tend to grow much faster. They can also be used very effectively to monitor for any deficiencies which would show up here before they would in the slower growing submerged plants.

Oh that’s interesting! It seems pretty healthy and happy, the only thing I do have to be careful with is that it doesn’t block all the light for the other plants.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »
Fish also appreciate floating plants as most of the fish we keep come from rivers etc with overhanging vegetation.

You could construct a barrier to hold the floating plants at one side of the tank if the filter outflow doesn't do this already. Though you may find the fish stay down at the dimmer end of the tank.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
Fish also appreciate floating plants as most of the fish we keep come from rivers etc with overhanging vegetation.

You could construct a barrier to hold the floating plants at one side of the tank if the filter outflow doesn't do this already. Though you may find the fish stay down at the dimmer end of the tank.

It’s over one side now anyways as I’ve angled it that way. It doesn’t cause a problem at all and I think makes feeding less scary to the fish as they have the safety of the roots just under where the feeding space is

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
New to fish keeping

Started by Resa « 1 2 ... 8 9 » New Fishkeepers

171 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 07:59:29 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
by jimbo1goey
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: