Beginner - New To Fish Keeping, Would Like Some Help And Advice :)

Author Topic: Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)  (Read 30654 times) 205 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New to fish keeping, would like some help :)
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Do you have a Maidenhead Aquatics nearby? They are often in garden centres, which may please your Mum. She can go round all the stuff they sell these days while you go to look at the fish. Their fish are usually better quality.

And they sell endlers........

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/storefinder

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:27 AM »
Do you have a Maidenhead Aquatics nearby? They are often in garden centres, which may please your Mum. She can go round all the stuff they sell these days while you go to look at the fish. Their fish are usually better quality.

And they sell endlers........

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/storefinder

I have one but it’s not all too near where we’ll be tonight, when my mum is determined for me to get some fish aha. Her view of it is just that it’s a fish and shouldn’t require too much effort. Doesn’t help that her friend just works on that basis too I think.
There’s a shop up slightly near me that we could get them from that is apparently (sceptical of course) really good so I might get some from them from there but since we’re near the pets at home she might just take me there

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
You could always not like the fish they have or "see something wrong with them" eg that one in the corner looks a bit iffy and if that one is sick the whole tank has probably already caught it and I don't want to buy fish that might be sick. Just because the rest look healthy doesn't mean they are not infected! (eg my 3 year old granddaughter was a bit off, then suddenly came out in chickenpox spots. She'd been incubating it for a few days)

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 04:46:09 PM »
You could always not like the fish they have or "see something wrong with them" eg that one in the corner looks a bit iffy and if that one is sick the whole tank has probably already caught it and I don't want to buy fish that might be sick. Just because the rest look healthy doesn't mean they are not infected! (eg my 3 year old granddaughter was a bit off, then suddenly came out in chickenpox spots. She'd been incubating it for a few days)
Hadn’t thought of that! Will definitely try that one, or try the ‘spot the dead fish’ game that is apparently common place in Pets At Home :/

Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »
You are right, the fish you name all need soft water.
Have a look at endlers. They need hard water and are lovely little fish. But males only as they breed like rabbits and you'd need at least 3 females for every male which soon means more endlers than you can cope with. They come in several different colours and patterns. A tank with a dozen or so mixed pattern male endlers would look stunning.
(The reason you need a lot more females than males is because like all livebearers, males chase females constantly. With more females, each female gets time out while the males chase another female)

Make sure you use straight tap water, not water from a filter. Some replace the hardness minerals with hydrogen ions. pH is the measure of hydrogen ions, an upside down measure. So if you add a lot more hydrogen ions, the pH drops. My old Brita filter dropped my pH from 7.5 to off the bottom off the scale so less than 6. Other types of filter replace the hardness minerals with sodium, and lots of sodium is not good for fish.

You do not need soil for plants, sand or fine gravel is fine. But you need deeper than 1 inch if you intend plants rooted in the substrate.
The alternative is to use plants that grow attached to decor. That's all I have in my tanks.

A lot of wood floats at first. Soaking it in a bucket gets it water logged so it sinks. It also allows the worst of the brown tannins to leach out.
And wood is ideal for attaching plants to  ;)

I know what you mean about your mother. My husband thinks I'm mad the way I treat my fish  ;D The only thing you can do is to tell her that fish are living creatures and they must be treated with respect. This means making their home as good as you can, which means getting the tank suitable for them. More fish die from water problems than any other cause.
Your Mum's way is probably based on old time thinking, or based on what shop workers say. We now know that all lot of old information is not correct, and it is well known that shop workers haven't a clue.

Re the photos, I'll have to let someone else help with that. Do you have access to a computer to down load your photos to? I upload photos from my laptop, which is easy. I have no idea how you do it from a phone  :-[

So I’ve been soaking the wood for 4 days now I believe and there’s still bits coming off them but the water isn’t turning brown. I got two pieces and one bit now sinks but the other still floats. Wondering if this is normal or if I’m doing something wrong or if it’s the wrong shape or something?

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
It all depends on what the wood is. Bogwood tends to leach tannins, while redmoor doesn't, for example. There are lots of other types of wood as well.

How fast a piece of wood gets waterlogged and sinks also depends on the type of the wood, and the size and shape. Thin bits of wood sink faster than blocks, simple because the water has less distance to go to reach right inside. I had a piece of wood a couple of years ago which took 3 weeks to sink. I was beginning to think it would never sink  :)

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
It all depends on what the wood is. Bogwood tends to leach tannins, while redmoor doesn't, for example. There are lots of other types of wood as well.

How fast a piece of wood gets waterlogged and sinks also depends on the type of the wood, and the size and shape. Thin bits of wood sink faster than blocks, simple because the water has less distance to go to reach right inside. I had a piece of wood a couple of years ago which took 3 weeks to sink. I was beginning to think it would never sink  :)

So in other words stick with it aha. Should I put the piece that’s sinking in now or wait until they both sink to put them in? Figuring there’s no harm in soaking it for extra time?

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 09:21:34 PM »
The one that's already sunk needs to stay wet. If it dries out it will need soaking again. I have several bits of wood in a box and if I decide to use a bit, I have to soak it again before I can use it.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2019, 09:23:50 PM »
The one that's already sunk needs to stay wet. If it dries out it will need soaking again. I have several bits of wood in a box and if I decide to use a bit, I have to soak it again before I can use it.
Yeah, I was gonna keep it in with the other piece. At the moment I’m putting it on top in an attempt to keep the floating piece down but was wondering if it should go in the tank now while I soak the other piece or just keep soaking and go in when the other piece is also ready

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 09:33:04 PM »
You can put it in the tank whenever you want. Some people put wood straight in the tank and use rocks to weight it down till it's waterlogged. I find it easier in a bucket but then if I tried the rock trick, knowing me it would fall off and squish a fish  :-\

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 09:48:25 PM »
You can put it in the tank whenever you want. Some people put wood straight in the tank and use rocks to weight it down till it's waterlogged. I find it easier in a bucket but then if I tried the rock trick, knowing me it would fall off and squish a fish  :-\

Aha, I probably would too.

Also, I ended up getting 6 Harlequin Rasbora on Tuesday night. I know it’s a fair few but from what I understand putting more fish into an already established shoal isn’t easy plus they wanted to be in groups anyways so I thought it would be less stressful on them to get the 6. They seem to be doing pretty well, I floated them in the water for the best part of an hour before introducing some of the water into the bag they were in then leaving for 15 minutes then putting them in. They seem alright, I fed them a bit of food yesterday morning and they ate that quickly. I fed them again this morning and think I put a bit too much in but they ate it all. Tomorrow I won’t put as much in.

So far I’ve been doing white light on during the day, then blue light when I’m getting ready for bed/about an hour before then turning the light off when I do go to bed. My dad offered to help me set it up to be on a timer and I’m wondering what the best cycle for the lighting would be. Do I need the blue light? What purpose does it serve?

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 10:03:21 PM »
Shoaling fish do better when you get the whole shoal at once. Harlequins also like some cover, of the sort provided by floating plants. I have the closely related Espe's rasboras and until I got some floating plants they just hid in the back corner.

Keep an eye on your ammonia level, and if it shows above zero, do a water change. If you do get ammonia showing up, check nitrite as well. That will only start a week or two after ammonia.

Lights should come on at least an hour after the curtains are opened/the room light is turned on, and at the other end either turn off an hour before it goes dark/leave the room light on for at least an hour after tank lights off. This is because of the way fish eyes work, they need a transition period of an hour between total darkness and full tank lights. That doesn't mean to have them on all that time, just avoid sudden lights on or sudden lights off whenever you have the lights on.
Fish also need the lights to be on for the same duration every day, and at the same time every day, so a timer is perfect for this - just set it for the same every day.

You don't need the blue light, though if they can be set on a different timer from the white lights, you can have them set to come on just as the white lights turn off. maybe a 5 minute overlap just in case the timers aren't in synch.

As for duration, if there are no live plants, then as long as you want, but remember that the longer the lights are on with a plantless tank the more algae that will grow.
With live plants, try 6 hours a day to start with. if the plants starts to suffer from lack of light, increase by an hour. If algae starts to go mad, try an hour less.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2019, 06:43:08 AM »
Shoaling fish do better when you get the whole shoal at once. Harlequins also like some cover, of the sort provided by floating plants. I have the closely related Espe's rasboras and until I got some floating plants they just hid in the back corner.

Keep an eye on your ammonia level, and if it shows above zero, do a water change. If you do get ammonia showing up, check nitrite as well. That will only start a week or two after ammonia.

Lights should come on at least an hour after the curtains are opened/the room light is turned on, and at the other end either turn off an hour before it goes dark/leave the room light on for at least an hour after tank lights off. This is because of the way fish eyes work, they need a transition period of an hour between total darkness and full tank lights. That doesn't mean to have them on all that time, just avoid sudden lights on or sudden lights off whenever you have the lights on.
Fish also need the lights to be on for the same duration every day, and at the same time every day, so a timer is perfect for this - just set it for the same every day.

You don't need the blue light, though if they can be set on a different timer from the white lights, you can have them set to come on just as the white lights turn off. maybe a 5 minute overlap just in case the timers aren't in synch.

As for duration, if there are no live plants, then as long as you want, but remember that the longer the lights are on with a plantless tank the more algae that will grow.
With live plants, try 6 hours a day to start with. if the plants starts to suffer from lack of light, increase by an hour. If algae starts to go mad, try an hour less.

Mine don’t seem shy, I’ve seen them swimming everywhere. One or two even ventured down to the bottom. Does this mean they’re stressed or just extroverted?

I’ll see about putting it on a timer this weekend hopefully - it can be my dad’s little DIY project aha. I’ve been putting the white light on at roughly 7, then opening my curtains just before I leave, about 10 to 8. Then it stays on until between 7-9, then has blue light for a few hours until I go to sleep at about 10:30pm. I’ve noticed there’s a bit of algae but since I would like to get some algae eaters, I figured it would be good for there to be some in the tank already?

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2019, 09:22:47 AM »
Then it stays on until between 7-9, then has blue light for a few hours until I go to sleep at about 10:30pm.

Please make sure the curtains have been opened (or the room light on) for an hour before turning the tank light on. It harms the fish if the tank light is turned on in a dark room, their eyes are not designed to cope with this. And they must also be in non-tank light for an hour after the tank lights turn off - either daylight or room light.
There is a very good explanation of why in another forum, but I'm not allowed to give links to rival forums, and I can't copy it here for copyright reasons  :-\ I'll have to write a paraphrased version, though it could take some time as it's quite long.

I read somewhere, though I can't find it now, that blue light causes algae. But other sources say that plants need red and blue light to grow properly.

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2019, 09:34:48 AM »
Forgot to say....

If the algae eaters you want are otos, please be aware they can starve to death. They are usually on the point of starvation by the time they arrive at the shop due to not being fed properly since they were caught. With otos, once they go past a certain point, no matter how much food they have they'll still die. The way to buy them is to wait until they've been in the shop a couple of weeks so that the ones that are going to die will already have done so. Choose fish with rounded but not bloated bellies. Many of them won't touch algae pellets or wafers till they learn it is food, and some never will. Since they need to be in a shoal of at least 6, that's a fair amount of algae that they'll need. One way to feed them is to put some small rocks in a glass container of water on a sunny window ledge. Algae will grow on the rocks. Put one rock in the tank and when the algae is all gone use another and put the clean one back in the container of water to grow more.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »
Then it stays on until between 7-9, then has blue light for a few hours until I go to sleep at about 10:30pm.

Please make sure the curtains have been opened (or the room light on) for an hour before turning the tank light on. It harms the fish if the tank light is turned on in a dark room, their eyes are not designed to cope with this. And they must also be in non-tank light for an hour after the tank lights turn off - either daylight or room light.
There is a very good explanation of why in another forum, but I'm not allowed to give links to rival forums, and I can't copy it here for copyright reasons  :-\ I'll have to write a paraphrased version, though it could take some time as it's quite long.

I read somewhere, though I can't find it now, that blue light causes algae. But other sources say that plants need red and blue light to grow properly.

I’ll open the curtains now before and shut the lights off before it gets dark then! Hopefully it will get better once I have them on a timer - my dad’s gonna look at it for me today if he can to see how easily and quickly it can be done since it’s on the same plug as the filter.
I’ll scrap the idea of the blue light then and I’ll do the rock idea you suggested in your other post. I’ll also do as you suggested and go back to the shop after a few weeks to see which ones are dead, which ones are still ok.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »
Also, I’ve noticed some bubbles appearing at the surface of the water. I’m not sure if this is just the filter or if it’s the fish or if it’s something else? I’ve got the two plants but nothing else I can think of that would make the bubbles.

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
The timer could be a problem if the filter runs off the same cable. What about the heater, is that the same cable too?

The only way you can use a timer is to wire the lights differently, which would mean unplugging everything, disconnecting the wire for the lights from the mains cable, then going into the light itself and fitting a new mains cable.

Why on earth to they make tanks like this. Filters and heaters need to be switched on 24/7. Lights don't but they should be switched on for the same duration at the same time of day, every days. Our lifestyles mean we can be there at exactly the same day every single day of the year to turn the lights on and off.
Sorry, rant over.

I have written a post, paraphrasing the one on the other forum, about tank lights. https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/tank-lights-how-they-affect-fish/

You haven't got a betta or gourami that you've not mentioned, have you  ;D They blow bubble nests.
Did you set the tank us just before getting fish - it could be bubbles from the substrate.
Other than that, I don't know........

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »
The timer could be a problem if the filter runs off the same cable. What about the heater, is that the same cable too?

The only way you can use a timer is to wire the lights differently, which would mean unplugging everything, disconnecting the wire for the lights from the mains cable, then going into the light itself and fitting a new mains cable.

Why on earth to they make tanks like this. Filters and heaters need to be switched on 24/7. Lights don't but they should be switched on for the same duration at the same time of day, every days. Our lifestyles mean we can be there at exactly the same day every single day of the year to turn the lights on and off.
Sorry, rant over.

I have written a post, paraphrasing the one on the other forum, about tank lights. https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/tank-lights-how-they-affect-fish/

You haven't got a betta or gourami that you've not mentioned, have you  ;D They blow bubble nests.
Did you set the tank us just before getting fish - it could be bubbles from the substrate.
Other than that, I don't know........

So the heater is on a different plug and the filter is always on, the lights are actually controlled independently with some buttons.

The heater is currently set to 26°C which I believe is a happy temperature for the harlequins. And the light that says the water is the wrong temperature isn’t on so it should be the right temperature.

I’ll look at the lights post in a second, thank you for the time it took!

I haven’t got a Betta or gourami hidden away aha! I know that Bettas blow bubble nests as my mum’s friend had a pair (in separate tanks) and the male blew a bubble nest.

The substrate was in the tank for about 9-10 days before I got my 6 harlequins and I had washed it before it went in. Hadn’t noticed anything about the bubbles until a few days ago. My piece of wood is still floating too I believe :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
If the wood is still floating, it isn't yet waterlogged and could have air inside. As the water penetrates further it will push out the air, which may be where the bubbles are coming from.

Using a thermometer is the best way to set the temperature as heater settings are notoriously inaccurate. The best kind of thermometer is the one which goes inside the tank and has liquid moving up and down the scale, or more expensively, a digital thermometer with a probe that goes in the water. The kind that stick on the outside and change colour are not as accurate as air temperature affects them.

26 deg is a bit high. Harlequins' range is 21 to 28 deg, and we should aim for the middle of that so around 24 to 25 is better. There is an article somewhere which thinks that we keep our fish too warm - I'll see if I can find it.......

........found it! http://www.seriouslyfish.com/whaddaya-mean-too-hot/

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
New to fish keeping

Started by Resa « 1 2 ... 8 9 » New Fishkeepers

171 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 07:59:29 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
by jimbo1goey
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: