Beginner - New To Fish Keeping, Would Like Some Help And Advice :)

Author Topic: Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)  (Read 30587 times) 205 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)
« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I know how much effort doing all that takes!! Well done you  :cheers:

Also looking forward to the pictures!!

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2019, 11:11:37 AM »
I’ll attach photos as soon as I can but for some reason I keep getting a silly website pop up when I try to go on most places within this website! Saying I’ve won an iPhone Max or something. I’m not silly so I know not to believe it but it’s rather annoying as it means I can’t get onto this page at times

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »
FYI @Robert

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
They seem to all be quite active this morning, even the two ottos! I thought I had 4 left as two died of my original 6 but I only saw 2 as I cleaned and redid the tank. I haven’t sucked any away in water changes and to my knowledge only 2 died so not sure what happened to the other two. I’ll have to take a trip to the shop I got them from and push my numbers back up to six... The Harlequins are busy exploring and will separate and come back together frequently so I’m putting that all down to the stress of the moving around. They also haven’t eaten this morning, but I did offer so I’m including that in the stress too.
The compass I have turned off for now though because I think it was stressing them out with one massive bubble every 4-5 seconds so I need to find a way of making it do lots of little bubbles instead if I can.
I’ll put some more plantamin in today (full dosage as I replaced all the water) but everyone seems to be a happy colour and acting pretty much as they should I believe.

Otocinclus (2) - Harlequin Rasbora (9) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Cardinal Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »
I’ll attach photos as soon as I can but for some reason I keep getting a silly website pop up when I try to go on most places within this website! Saying I’ve won an iPhone Max or something. I’m not silly so I know not to believe it but it’s rather annoying as it means I can’t get onto this page at times

Some users see Ads more than others but they shouldn't reduce usability. If it happens again, please screenshot and email me :)

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2019, 07:39:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1

Some users see Ads more than others but they shouldn't reduce usability. If it happens again, please screenshot and email me :)

It wasn’t a normal ad, it was more like it was always taking me to an unsecure website which was trying to run a scam. Hope that helps a bit

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2019, 08:16:01 PM »
Are you using a laptop or iphone/tablet? If it's a laptop, have you tried doing a virus scan?

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2019, 09:46:41 PM »
Are you using a laptop or iphone/tablet? If it's a laptop, have you tried doing a virus scan?

I use my iPhone :) I find it’s more convenient here than on my laptop

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
So it’s been 13 weeks since I replaced one part of the filter media (I lost track of time and only just counted so should have changed the other part but oh well) and so I actually ended up getting 6 Cardinal Tetras today while my sister got her blackmoor. They all seem healthy, they have a good colour to them and are a decent size.

I turned the lights in the tank off, floated them for 20-30 minutes to let them acclimatise to temperature and have now been adding water from the tank into the bag every 10-15 minutes about 3 times to get them used to the water chemistry. I’m just about to met them out and put them into the tank so hopefully they’ll be quite happy.

Also, I did have to remove a plant because it had some fuzzy stuff growing on it and wasn’t looking healthy at all. I’ve been trying to remove some snails but I’ll be getting an Assassin Snail on Wednesday to fix that problem hopefully. I’ve put in my calendar to change the other part of the filter in 6 weeks time.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2019, 01:15:28 PM »
So I managed to get a really good picture of one of my most recent baby Harlequins! They’re really starting to look like Harlequins now.

The cardinals have settled in well and are more than happy swimming in all areas of the tank, just like the Harlequins. However I seem to have lost one as I can now only ever see 5, even at feeding times (which now are quite excited and everyone hovers by the top of the tank ready for food). I can’t think of where it could be, similar to the ottos, as I haven’t seen a dead one and I’m sure I brought 6, had 6 in the bag and put 6 in.... any thoughts on that one?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »
Very good - they do indeed look like harlequins now. What temp do you keep them in, out of interest?

As for the missing cardinal, have you checked behind (or even in) the filter? When my neon green rasboras were in the quarantine tank, they had a habit of somehow squeezing themselves between the tiny suction cups on the back of the filter into a gap that didn't look at all possible for even a needle/pin to fit behind. Fish are notorious at ending up in places that only complete removal of filter or ornaments finally reveals their hiding places - but be careful not to inadvertently squash them or lift them out in the ornament (and resulting in them landing on the floor), if they're simply hiding/stuck.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »
If it has passed, their tank mates may have eaten it... you may never find a trace. This has happened to me a few times in a heavily planted tank where spotting all the fish to do a roll-call is nearly impossible.

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »
If it has passed, their tank mates may have eaten it... you may never find a trace. This has happened to me a few times in a heavily planted tank where spotting all the fish to do a roll-call is nearly impossible.

I did consider that, especially with the ottos as they’re much more likely with their hiding. But the cardinal disappeared a day or two after being introduced and I didn’t think it would have been eaten so quickly would it?

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
Very good - they do indeed look like harlequins now. What temp do you keep them in, out of interest?

As for the missing cardinal, have you checked behind (or even in) the filter? When my neon green rasboras were in the quarantine tank, they had a habit of somehow squeezing themselves between the tiny suction cups on the back of the filter into a gap that didn't look at all possible for even a needle/pin to fit behind. Fish are notorious at ending up in places that only complete removal of filter or ornaments finally reveals their hiding places - but be careful not to inadvertently squash them or lift them out in the ornament (and resulting in them landing on the floor), if they're simply hiding/stuck.

I’ve just checked behind the filter, it hangs on the rim of my tank but no luck and I shone my phone torch into the filter (didn’t want to disturb the filter media too much) and still nothing. He must have died and been eaten, possibly by the snails who have made themselves at home in my tank! I’ve ordered some Assassin Snails to deal with that problem so they should be here soon.

The heater is set for 25°c however my digital thermometer which is on the other side of the tank normally shows the water is at about 25.5°c when it’s cooler. On warm days like yesterday it got up to about 27.2°c I believe. It’s probably not good for it to go up so high but I can’t think of ways to keep it cooler. At the moment, it’s sat at 26°c exactly. However it probably is a bit too warm for all my fish really, should I turn it down a bit?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »
I did consider that, especially with the ottos as they’re much more likely with their hiding. But the cardinal disappeared a day or two after being introduced and I didn’t think it would have been eaten so quickly would it?

I would guess that within 48hrs there might not be much left to find...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2019, 08:26:48 PM »
The heater is set for 25°c however my digital thermometer which is on the other side of the tank normally shows the water is at about 25.5°c when it’s cooler. On warm days like yesterday it got up to about 27.2°c I believe. It’s probably not good for it to go up so high but I can’t think of ways to keep it cooler. At the moment, it’s sat at 26°c exactly. However it probably is a bit too warm for all my fish really, should I turn it down a bit?

Technically it should make no difference if the heater is turned down or set at the same level... if the tank water is hotter the heater should not come on.

A couple of ways you can cool the tank are to float frozen bottles of water in the tanks, to do water changes on hot days, and to run a fan across the surface of the water (more effective than it sounds!)

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2019, 08:38:51 PM »
I saw those methods actually in another post and when it got really hot for a while in the UK I did end up leaving the lid open with a fan blowing towards the tank (not directly onto the water though as it wasn’t high enough and I tried putting some ice cubes in too but it didn’t make much of a difference. I’ll have to try it with the water bottles instead.

I did kinda mean the temperature the heater is set at though, do the fish I have need cooler water than the 25.5°c which I see it at the most when it’s cool?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »
The fiah profiles on this site give the recommended temperature ranges of the fish. You'll need to strike a good balance between the needs of your species but I would guesstimate they can probably deal with a little cooler if my memory of your stocking serves me right! (Just noticed this thread is 20 pages long!!)

Offline Alostangel

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »
Also, I know I just got my cardinals and I’ll change the filter media in 5 or 6 weeks but I was thinking ahead about a feature fish for my tank. My dad tells me to get an Angelfish because he thinks they look pretty but I’m 99.9% sure that my tank isn’t deep enough. I was originally thinking about a Betta fish, which is why I chose Harlequins and Cardinals as I heard they’re less likely to nip but as I watch them, the more I think the faster pace of my tank would just be too much for one. My cardinals are quite speedy and the Harlequins can certainly move when they want! (They all actually have an interesting dynamic in the tank with the Harlequins forming a loose group in the dead centre of the tank and the Cardinals vaguely surrounding them)

Do you have any suggestions that would be suitable? With my 9 Harlequins, 5 (I may make it up to 6, depending on whether or not adding 1 individual into a shoal is recommended) Cardinals and my 2 otos, I don’t know how much extra space I have in my 64litre (technically, my filter, heater, plants and decor take up a lot of room but I’m not good with numbers so not sure what the tank is more like). If my Harlequins give me another 4 babies then my plan would be to find a new home for the 6 babies, which would leave me with a happy 7.

Any suggestions or comments on anything here would be helpful :)

Addition for your last post Matt, my stockings currently stand at 9 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Cardinal Tetras and 2 Otocinclus and the tank is 61cm long, 44cm wide and 33cm deep

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
An angelfish requires a tank of 100cm in length (100x40x50cm) and has a tendency to eat small fish like tetras or harlequins, so definitely not a suitable option.

If I were you, for a tank of that size, I'd keep all your harlequins including the babies, increase the number of cardinals to 9 as well, and it would make a lovely tank as it is.  The colour of the cardinals and the patterning of the harlequins, with their increase in numbers, would make a very visually attractive tank - no need for a feature fish as well as them and the otos.  If you were absolutely determined to have a feature fish, though, then a honey gourami might be a nice suitable option.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Beginner - New to fish keeping, would like some help and advice :)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
New to fish keeping

Started by Resa « 1 2 ... 8 9 » New Fishkeepers

171 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 07:59:29 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
by jimbo1goey
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: