New To Fish!

Author Topic: New to fish!  (Read 2384 times) 2 replies

Offline torie1112

• Tropical Fish FTW!
New to fish!
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
My nearly 8 year old son has expressed a massive desire to have a pet for his birthday and really wants fish. We have had pets so understand the importance of care etc but really haven't got any idea of where to start. I have looked at a few second hand tanks/ aquaria and wondered if anyone has any ideas about biorbs? I've seen a few of these for sale and wondered if they are a good first tank?
We definitely want cold water fish btw.
Any other first hints?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New to fish!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:08:37 PM »
I would not get a biorb as a first tank. Yes, they look pretty but they have their problems. You are much better getting a standard rectangular tank, especially if you want cold water fish.

Cold water fish means goldfish, preferable the fancy varieties, which means those with a double tail rather than the types with a single tail which really need to be in ponds.
For fancy goldfish you need 70 litres for the first one, then an additional 40 litres for each additional fish. They grow big!

There are fish sold in shops as cold water fish but they are actually temperate fish. Things like zebra danios and white cloud mountain minnows. They can be kept in heaterless tanks provided the room they are in never drops below 18oC in the middle of the coldest winter night. If the room will get colder than that, you'd need a heater and if you had a heater you may as well look at tropical.
Zebra danios, despite being small, are extremely fast swimmers and need a tank that is a least 1 metre long. White clouds can get away with smaller, but nothing smaller than 60cm long.

Is there a reason why you want cold water fish? The only difference is that tropical freshwater fish need a heater. That's it, no other difference. And there is a much bigger range of fish, including some that are quite happy in smaller tanks. The real downside to cold or temperate fish for a newcomer is the size of tank they need.

Have you come across cycling yet? This is the thing that surprises newcomers most. In order to maintain a healthy tank and fish you need to grow 2 colonies of bacteria in the filter. These bacteria take care of the ammonia from the fish waste. There are two ways to cycle a tank, with fish and without. Without is much easier (no daily water changes for a couple of months, no risk of fish getting sick and dying) but it does mean no fish for several weeks and I can quite understand that with an 8 year old's pestering that might not be an option. You know your son better than me, would he be able to cope with not having fish if you were to "assist" him in testing the water and monitoring the cycle? "Assisting" of course means you doing it and him helping a bit  ;)

So you can make up your mind, here are two threads (which you may have already found) which describe the methods for the two ways of cycling.
Without fish
With fish

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: New to fish!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:46 AM »
How big a tank are you looking at getting? If you don't want a tropical tank an alternative to goldfish is barbs. My personal favorite is rosy barbs, and a small group of these kept with a few small algae eaters would look really nice. You would still need a tank of at least 70 litres though, and you could possibly still need a heater depending on how cold it gets where you live.
Another option if you want a much smaller tank is to get a betta (fighting fish), although again it will probably need a heater. I used to keep one in a 40 liter tank with a few soft-leaved plants. If you decided on a betta it would mean you couldn't really get any other fish which inhabited the same area as it, but I used to keep mine with four panda corydoras and three otocinclus and they all got on very well :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New to fish! "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
by brecon
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2023, 05:37:00 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: