New Tank, Wrong Order?

Author Topic: New tank, wrong order?  (Read 5933 times) 13 replies

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
New tank, wrong order?
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

I've been wanting a tropical fish tank for a while and recently treated myself!

I bought a Juwel Lido tank (120l) recently as it fits nicely in my living room and have since (guided by my lfs ) put a clay base substrate followed by a small 2-3mm (diameter) top layer of substrate. This setup was advised by the guys at the shop because I said I would like to grow live plants rather than use plastic.

I went back to the shop and they next advised me to get some plants in now and then fill with water straight away. I chose my plants and all say they're 'easy' to grow and I wasn't advised otherwise so hopefully they'll stand a chance. I also bought some liquid aquarium fertiliser.

I live in south yorkshire and our water is very hard, the assistant told me they sell aquarium water (they call it trop' mix). This apparently has alot less heavy metals in it and will be better for the fish and plant growth. I decided to give it a go but I'm not 100% on it. Is this just a con or is it worth using this water? It only cost 12 pence per litre...

I've planted the plants in the substrate after removing them from their pots and removing the cotton wool around the root ball. Then I filled the aquarium with the 'trop mix'. The pump/filter is running now, the heater is set to 24 and I've got the lights on a timer for 12 hours at the minute. Ive added 15ml of the aquarium fertiliser.

So at the minute I have an un-cycled aquarium with 9 aquarium plants. Have I set it up drastically wrong or can I think about adding a few fish soonish?  I'm thinking I'll have to do a fish in cycle from reading through this forum today?

Spotted a little snail so far and a few of the plants look to be putting shoots into the substrate already :-)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New tank, wrong order?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:10:30 AM »
Hi Mike (again).... I'm not a fan of a fish-in cycle 'cos if (probably when) your ammonia and/or nitrates  rocket then you'll seriously stress the fish and probably do them permenent harm or kill them. A fishless cycle allows you to learn about water management and testing before any livestock go in. As 'they' say.... you don't keep fish, you keep water and the fish look after themselves.

This is about as good as it gets....: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:19:30 AM »
Hi Colin, thanks for the reply.  I read this fishless cycling post earlier this evening and thats when it occurred to me I may have gone about this the wrong way. Towards the bottom there are reasons not to have plants in whilst cycling your tank. Thats what made me think the fish-in method was my only option now?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
The main reason for not having plants is that you have to have the light on for several hours a day or the plants die. There is a lot of ammonia in the water during cycling. Lights + ammonia = algae. You would probably get algae anyway though, just a bit more with the lights on. I wrote that mainly for people who have just got the tank and filled up with water; people who have thoughts about plants but they haven't got any yet. Even though you have plants I would say do a fishless cycle. They are much easier than all the water changes involved with fish-in cycles. I have been told there are some plants that don't like a lot of ammonia in the water, but not being very good with plants I can't say whether yours will be OK or not.
The plants may use ammonia as food. For this reason, it would be a good idea to concentrate on the nitrite part of the cycle as plants don't use that. Keep adding ammonia when the ammonia drops, but make sure that you see a spike in nitrite then a fall.

It is possible to do something called a silent cycle where you plant a lot of plants and when they have established, get fish a few at a time. The plants take care of most of the ammonia the fish make, and if fish are added slowly enough, the small bit of ammonia left over dosn't harm the fish and encourages bacteria to grow - not that you need many bacteria with a heavily planted tank. Because I'm useless with plants, I can't advise on the way to do a silent cycle  :-[

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
Hi mikewilde I live in West Yorkshire my water is medium hard.I have a heavily planted tank and had no issues with my water just use tap water and add your dechlorinator  your plants will do fine. Like sue says the best option is to a silent cycle that's what I did as I was wrongly advised, I planted heavily to start with then added 5or6 fish a week and checked my water parameters Dailey I had no problems fish were fine. I  did plenty of water changes to keep all my parameters right . Good luck

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »
Hi Sue and Skull thanks for the info. I like the idea of this silent cycle. Mainly because I dont want to remove all my plants or have my tank full of algae  :P

I think it could be interesting to try and keep this balance but like has been said, this silent cycle is for experienced fish keepers.
If I was to give it a go would 4 or 5 ruby fin tetras or similar be suitable?

Back to the 'trop mix' I mentioned in my previous post; I bought myself the nutrafin mini master test kit today and had a go with all the different tests.

The tank ph is 7 as is my tap water.
Theres no ammonia in my tank (as theres nothing in it but plants).
The tank Nitrate is 0 but my tap water showed 10mg/l!

I suppose this nitrate reading alone is a good reason to use my lfs water?

Mike

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
Do you know what exactly this 'trop water' is? Some shops sell RO water (reverse osmosis) which is water that has had everything dissolved in it removed. The problem is that no fish in the trade can survive in pure water so minerals have to ve added back in, either by mixing with tapwater or by adding remineralisation salts. The amount of salts added make the water soft (only a bit of salts) or hard (lots of salts). What I'm wondering is, is the shop selling RO water that has had some minerals added back in to make it safe for softish water fish, which is less hard than your tapwater. I would be inclined to give them a ring and ask, but don't be fobbed off by some vague thing like it's water that your fish would be happier in.

The only downside to using this 'trop mix' is that you will have to use it all the time or the difference between it and your tapwater could cause problems for the fish if ever you have to use tap for an emergency water change. Ammonia and/or nitrite in the tank water when you have fish, or the fish are showing unusual behaviour, or you've had an unexplained fish death all need big water changes and if you couldn't get to the shop you'd have to use tapwater

Nitrate result - if the tester is a liquid one, one of the bottles will say to shake it hard before use. All the makes have a reagent which settles out and has to be shaken really well to redissolve it. The only difference between brands is which bottle. Just making sure you did shake the bottle in question really well  ;D  If you have zero nitrate in the tank, you will have to add it for plants to do well - I do know that much  :)

pH - I know you said the tank and tap pH are the same, but just in case I would leave a glass of water to stand overnight and test again. pH often changes on standing. Since you used the 'trop mix' it will be different from your tapwater and you need to know what the tapwater does on standing.

Do you know exactly how hard your tapwater is? It should say somewhere on your water supplier's website. There are many fish that 'need' soft water that actually do well in hardish water, it's just that they won't be able to breed. Other fish prefer it hard such as livebearers and Rift Lake cichlids (if ever you decided to go for a rocky, plant free decor)

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what the trop mix is. They explained it as a water suitable for the fish and plants that has had the heavy metals removed. I'm not sure if it is RO water, I just followed the advice of the guys there. I'd not mind using it for routine water changes as the price isn't bad and the shop is 5 minutes away in the car. Like you mentioned though, its no good if an emergency water change is needed and the shop is shut or I just cant get there in time. Maybe future water changes should be tap water with added declorinator.  This brings me to another question! I've presumed this shop sold water doesn't need declorinator adding?

I've been onto the severn trent website and the values they give (back in 2011!) Are

Hard; hardness Clark = 18 Hardness French = 27 & Hardness German = 15

Nitrates 32.86mg/l     I measured 10mg/l after a thorough shake of the reagents so in the two years they've cleaned it up a bit  :D

As I have no Nitrates in my tank water is the plant fertiliser I have added going to provide the necessary nutrients for my plants to thrive? The fertiliser is JBL Ferropol.

I shall leave a glass of water out tonight and re-test in the morning as you've suggested.

Are my tap water qualities ok for tropical fish tank or do you need to know the metal contents etc?

Many thanks

Mike

Update: I left a glass of water out over night and tested the pH this morning as suggested and the pH looks slightly higher. Between 7.5 and 8. I believe I read the wrong number from the scale last night though. I think I read the marine side and not the fresh water. That would put my readings of aquarium and tap at 7.5pH and this mornings stood water at 7.75pH.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »
In fish keeping, it is usual to use german degrees - that's what most GH test kits use. That or ppm.

The problem with hardness is that depending on where you look, different degrees mean different words. Your GH of 15 (or 268ppm) is 'slightly hard' on one scale and 'hard' on another. The good news is that 15oGerman is not 'very hard' but the bad news is that your water may be a bit too alkaline and hard for the rosy finned tetras you mentioned in the Introduction thread.
When looking at what a fish species requires, hardness is more important than pH. I have softish, slightly alkaline water. I can keep soft, acid liking fish better than hard, alkaline liking fish.

Whether you decide to do a fishless cyle with ammonia or a silent cycle, you'll have time to decide what you want to do. It'll take a few weeks to do a fishless cycle, and you need to get your plants growing well before getting fish with a slient cycle - though I think you need a lot more plants for a silent cycle. Natalia would be the one to advise on that if she ses this thread  :)

Regarding heavy metals, every dechlorinator I have seen also removes them. So if you could cope with the hardness and pH of your tapwater, the dechlorinator you would add to all new water would get rid of the metals for you.
As to the question of chlorine in the 'trop mix' that would depend on exactly what it was. Unless you could find out for certain, I would use dechlorinator.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »
What the shop might be doing is running the water through a hma filter. Its like reverse osmosis but does not remove as much. AHMA filter will normaly remove chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals and some organic and volatile chemicals, while leaving ph and hardness the same. If this is the case ask them what the ph and hardness of the HMA filtered water is to see if it would be suitable for the fish you would lile to keep

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 07:48:41 AM »
Hi Sue and Don

Thanks for the info. I've been back to my lfs yesterday and asked about their water. They supply two types, both RO water with specific mineral mixes put back in. One mix is for tropical tanks and the other is a marine mix.

Mike

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »
So it is RO water. I did supsect they were selling RO water with minerals added making it suitable for fish that prefer soft water.

You have a choice. Either use this 'trop mix' and keep soft water fish; or use your tapwater and keep fish that prefer hard water.

If you use the trop mix you would have to use it at every water change. In this case, I would be inclined to do a fishless cyle. If you did a silent cycle, found it wasn't working as you hoped and had ammonia and/or nitrite you would have to do a lot of water changes which would work out quite expensive.

If you decide to stick with the cheaper alternative, ie tapwater, you could try either fishless or silent.

And since it is RO water, the trop mix wouldn't need dechlorinator.

You could always get an RO unit and either add remineralisation salts or mix it with tapwater. You would need to experiment in a bucket till you found the right amount of salts or proportion of tapwater to use.

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
Yikes! Mixing my own RO formula is a bit over my head atm. Plus an extra expense after all my new tank, substrate and plant purchases.

I think I'll give my plants some time to establish themselves then try the silent cycle aproach.

Mike

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
The best thing to do would be start a new thread in the plant section. The plant experts are more likely to see it there. They'll be able to tell you what you need to add to the trop mix (better explain that in the new thread) for plant health, and also what you need to do for a silent cycle.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank, wrong order?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 05:00:31 PM
by AdyDnt
4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 07:41:49 AM
by Dylan5084
2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2020, 10:01:00 AM
by Hampalong
22 Replies
Last post March 05, 2020, 09:01:12 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 20, 2020, 04:28:11 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2020, 06:28:59 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: