New Tank Water Conditions

Author Topic: New Tank Water Conditions  (Read 5295 times) 19 replies

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
New Tank Water Conditions
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys, new fish keeper here with some questions.

I set up my tank just under two weeks ago. I cycled it for the first week without any fish, adding a biological enhancer (Fluval I think) following the instructions. After a week, I went to my LFS (Maidenhead Aquatics in Trowell)  and they said I was ready for Fish  :) I didn't have any water testing kit at this point, so I dont have any data on the conditions.

I purchased 6 male guppies (as recommended, by a different LFS). They all seem to be settling in fine.

I have started doing some water tests now, although I am not keeping a log. First few days everything was as expected, nitrites 0 and nitrates quite low (no ammonia test at this time). However, I tested again today and my nitrites have increased, still less than 0.5 mg/l, but not 0 anymore. I know this is still low, and my test kit says its not an immediate issue, but I want it to stay at 0 right? Should I be concerned about this, or does it always happen when fish are added to a new tank?

I tested for ammonia today and that showed 0, or very close to it, so no problems there.

As I said, I'm new to this so I'm probably being a bit paranoid. Just dont want to make any mistakes.

One other thing. My test shows chlorine, showed 0 first 2 days. Today it showing slightly higher. Is that my test kit being wrong? Because as far as I'm aware, once the chlorine is gone, it does come back without a water change, and I haven't done one of those yet. 

Thanks for the help  :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Guppy (male) (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New Tank Water Conditions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:53:47 PM »
Chlorine first as that's an easy one. Did you add a dechlorinator, and do you know if your water company uses chlorine or choramine to treat their water supply? Chlorine does gas off after about 24 hours but chloramine does not. If you have chloramine and did not use a dechlorinator, that could well be the source of your chlorine reading. However, it sounds as though you are using a strip tester and they are notoriously inaccurate. If you used a dechlorinator at the correct dosage when you filled the tank and use one to treat the new water at every water change, you can't have chlorine in the tank.

A lot of the bottled bacteria products contain the correct species of ammonia eating bacteria but the wrong nitrite eating bacteria. The Fluval product is not one of those allowed to use the correct species of nitrite eaters (use of the correct species is copyrighted or patented or whatever the term is, and Fluval can't use it).

Ignore any tester that says any reading above zero for ammonia and nitrite is OK. The only safe readings for them is zero.
The best way to keep nitrite (and ammonia if that does show up) under control is by water changes. You need to keep both of them below 0.25. The amount and frequency of water changes is determined by how high the readings are and how fast they got that high. You don't mention how big the tank is, but the larger the tank the longer it will take for the levels to rise because in a large tank they are diluted by the amount of water. if your nitrite test shows near the 0.5 colour, do a water change. You might find it easier to buy a liquid reagent nitrite tester as they are more accurate and the API one at least does have a colour for 0.25 (it sounds from what you say as though the tester you are using goes from 0 to 0.5)

Once your ammonia and nitrite levels stay at zero for a week without you needing to do a water change, you can get more fish if the tank is big enough - BUT only a few at a time. The rule of thumb is no more than one third of the fish you already have, so for you that is 2 guppy sized fish, or one fish twice the size of a guppy. Test daily after adding, and when you've had a week of zeros, you can get more fish.

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:45:43 PM »
Thank you for your swift response Sue.

I didnt use a dechlorinator when I set the tank up, and I have no idea about the Chlorine/Choramine thing. I have some API Stress Coat + that I got for water changes, would it be OK for me to put the recommended dosage in now?

You are right that I am using a strip tester, and that it goes from 0 to 0.5. I may go and invest in a liquid nitrite test kit tomorrow, its seems like the progress of my tank will depend highly on this level.

My tank is 110l, so I guess thats why it has taken a while for the nitrite level to show a visible increase. I plan to do a water change this weekend, together with cleaning the top part of my filter (the pre filter pad I think), but if my test shows further increases in nitrites I will bring this forward.

Guppy (male) (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »
Your water company may say on its website which of the two treatments they use, chlorine or chloramine. If it doesn't you can always email or phone them.

If you have chloramine, adding the stress coat will help, if you have chlorine it should have gassed of by now but still add the stress coat - dechorinator also remove metals from the water. Make sure you use it whenever you do a water change.
Unfortunately, chlorine/chloramine are added to the water supply to kill bacteria. As you didn't use a dechlorinator when you set the tank up you may have killed the bacteria in the supplement you added.

Six guppies in 110 litres is perfect for a fish-in cycle, which is what you are doing. Not enough fish to send the ammonia and nitrite levels rocketing, but enough for the cycle to proceed nicely. Keep monitoring those two and do water changes whenever they get near 0.25. And when you have grown enough bacteria for these 6 fish, take it slowly when you get more fish. As you have more fish, you'll be able to add more at once - the number of fish will be increasing so one third of them will be more  ;)

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
I have added the Stress Coat to the tank now, and have done a test since and Chlorine shows as 0 again. I'll make sure I use some whenever I water change. Is it possible to over dose this type of water treatment? Mine says I should put 5ml per 40 litres, but it becomes hard to measure the correct amount for a bucket of water equal to about 15% of the tank.

I purchased a liquid nitrite test today and tested my water once I got home. Once again, ammonia shows 0, but nitrites was up at about 0.4 to 0.5. I did a 30% ish water change and tested after and its about down to about 0.25 or less, but not 0. I'm going to test again tomorrow, and I imagine I will have to water change again. Should I aim to do more than 30% in order to drop the nitrites further? As a side note, its fair to say my first water change was less then smooth  :(

I understand the nitrate cycle to be as follows:

Fish waste -> ammonia -> nitrites -> nitrates

Assuming I am correct, the fact that I have had two successive 0 ammonia tests would suggest the ammonia eating bacteria is present and any chlorine that was in the tank hasn't killed it. So I guess I am just waiting for nitrite eating bacteria to build up.

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »

I understand the nitrate cycle to be as follows:

Fish waste -> ammonia -> nitrites -> nitrates

Assuming I am correct, the fact that I have had two successive 0 ammonia tests would suggest the ammonia eating bacteria is present and any chlorine that was in the tank hasn't killed it. So I guess I am just waiting for nitrite eating bacteria to build up.

That is correct  ;) It would indicate that the bottled bacteria did indeed contain live ammonia eaters (some brands contain dead ones!) but no viable nitrite eaters.

Water changes are the way to go. A 30% water change will reduce the nitrite level by a third so 0.4 would go down to 0.28. To make any serious impact, you have to do a bigger water change. A 50% change would drop the level from 0.4 to 0.2; a 75% water change would drop it to 0.1. I know big water changes are not done for fun - I have recently had to medicate my main tank and after 2 days do an 80% water change on a 180 litre tank, which took all morning. But once you get that reading down, frequent smaller water changes will stop it getting that high again.

It is OK to add 1.5 times the stated dose of dechlorinator, but I wouldn't go any higher. One way to dose a bucket is using a syringe. You can get them on-line quite easily or from a chemist shop - if you do this ask for a babies' medicine dosing syringe or you might get the third degree about why you want it if you ask for just a syringe. They come in sizes from 1ml to 10ml and it is easy to measure tenths of a ml using one.

You can always practice water changes using a bucket  ;)

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
Tested the water again this morning, nitrites were a similar level to yesterday, not much increase over night.

I did a 40-50% water change, which went much better, and have tested again. Its a little difficult to tell with my test kit because it shows a orange colour for 0.3mg/l and a yellow colour for <0.3 mg/l. My test was somewhere in-between these colours. I have decided, for the time being, to assume that yellow would effectively mean 0, so I think my test shows about 1.5 mg/l, which sounds right based on a 50% change.

My ammonia test vial has a small residue around the 5ml mark (the line I fill up to). I rinse out the vial after every test, and have started drying it as well. Is this typical, or is it going to risk producing false positives?

I also have a few questions about my fish. These may be silly questions, but I have a bit of a pessimistic outlook and always think the worst  :P The fish swim up and down the glass in the corner of my tank every so often. They don't do it all the time, but the behaviour is more evident in some of the fish and has increased, I think, since my first water change. I have read various different thoughts on this, some saying its normal, some saying its stress or boredom.

I have also noticed that they seems to 'surf' the current from the outlet of the filter. Again, I feel like it has increased since the change, but this may just be me noticing it more. I have seen different opinions on this as well, some indicating its for fun, some saying they are trying to find high oxygen areas of the tank. My tank has various live plans in it, which are growing, so I'm inclined to think its not the latter.

Finally, some of them do some weird sideways/backwards swimming thing. Its hard to explain, but their dorsal fin pops up and they do it for a second or two and then carry on like normal. Its probably nothing.

I'm not sure if these are signs of stress, or that they are more comfortable and active than they were a few days ago. My water conditions are:

PH 7 ish (test not very accurate)
Temperature 25
Ammonia and nitrites as mentioned
Nitrates not high enough to worry about

Thank again for all of your replies Sue, they have been very helpful.

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:11:14 PM »
I rinse the test tubes, then rinse again and yet again. After letting the bulk of the rinse water drain out for a minute or so, I use a paper hanky to dry the tube. I hold the lid under running water, then drain briefly and dry. The danger comes from leaving any residue behind in the tube.

Swimming up and down the glass is common in new fish. It could be that they can't see the glass and until they learn there is a barrier there they try to swim though it then round it.
Lack of oxygen caused by lack of oxygen or the fish thinking there is low oxygen because of ammonia in the water shows quite distinctive behviour in fish. They hang at the surface and gulp air. It sounds as though your fish are swimming not just hanging. And of course guppies feed from the surface so they will congregate there if they have been fed or think food is coming.

Guppies are closely related to endlers, and my last two endlers have just died. Endler males display to females, or each other if there are no females. They spread their fins, arch their bodies sideways and sort of twitch in front of another fish. From your description it sounds as though your guppies are doing something similar, and if my desriptions sounds familiar, your guppies are displaying to each other since you don't have any females. Word of warning - they may also try to mate with each other, or with any other fish species you may add. Male guppies have one track minds!

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Your description about the fish showing is right, and I thought that's what it was. Although I didn't think they would necessarily want to show off in front of another male, I was obviously wrong  :)

I have read a few things about putting filter media from an established tank into a filter to speed up the cycling process. Does this really work?

I have a friend who has had a tank established for about 10 years and it might be possible for me to get some media from him. Would there be any negative effect on his tank by taking some out? I wouldn't want to his tank to start cycling again just so mine is a little faster. He has also recently lost a fish, although I don't think it was because of any disease and his other fish are fine. If there is no negative effect for his tank, would it be a good idea for me to borrow some media?

His tank is also a lot smaller than mine, about a 1/4 of the size, so it would only be a small amount of media anyway. But I guess every little helps, to quote a supermarket.

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
Mature media will indeed help, even a tiny bit. It is getting the bacteria started that is the slowest part. Remove a bit of new media if necessary to get the old stuff in there.
It should be placed inside the new filter before the new media in the direction of water flow. Old media in physical contact with new will spread bacteria into the new media faster and it should be first in the water flow so that any loose bits of bacteria-containing biofilm get washed into the new media.

Your friend can lose up to a third of his media with no ill effects. The two thirds of the bacteria he has left will multiply quickly to make up the loss.

I think with guppies and endlers, there is also a bit of 'look at me, I'm better than you' so that should a female appear the 'best' one gets first chance with her.

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:28:51 PM »
I managed to get some media from my friend, it's a very small bit and isn't quite the width of my filter. I have put it under my carbon filter pad, before two other pads, in physical contact with one of them. Is that ok, or should I put it ahead of my carbon pad?

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »
To be honest, you could put it instead of your carbon pad. Though not just yet, you need every bacterium you have at the moment. In the meantime, between the carbon pad and the other pads is fine.

Can I ask, what exactly is in your filter? You mention a carbon pad and two other pads - what are they like? I ask because some filters put terrible media inside them. Most filter manufacturers use carbon, which isn't necessary, and some use zeolite which is ore than useless long term. Once you have grown a full set of bacteria you can tinker with the media till you get a good set.

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »
I was going to remove the carbon, although I thought bacteria might have built up on it so I didn't.

My tank is a Juwel Rekord 800 and the standard pads are as follows:

A wool pre filter pad
Activated Carbon pad
A nitrate removal sponge (big green one)
A fine filter sponge (big blue pad)

That's the order that the water flows through, and there is a small gap between the last two pads. As mentioned, my friends pad is slotted between the carbon and nitrate pads.

That is based the filter manual, it doesn't provide much more info than that so I'm not quite sure what they are made of.

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 11:11:03 AM »
I used to have a Juwel Rio 125 and although I did remove the filter I had it for a while (incredibly noisy pump; tried a new one and that was as bad. Kept us awake in the room above  :-\ )

The blue sponge is home for the bacteria. In my Rio I had both coarse and fine.
The green sponge is supposed to remove nitrate but doesn't. But it is a good home for the bacteria, treat it like a blue sponge.
Juwel say to change these sponges every few months. Don't. Wash them in water you've taken out during a water change. Squeeze them gently, don't try to make them look like new. When they go holey and shapeless, they do need changing but only one at a time. Or even better, cut them in half and change one bit at a time with at least a month between.

The white pad that goes on top gets clogged very quickly and loses it's shape after a couple of washes. It needs replacing very regularly; too regularly to grow many bacteria in the time it's there, and filter wool isn't particularly good at growing bacteria in the first place. Juwel white pads are expensive; buy a roll of filter wool and use a white pad as a template to cut the roll up.

The black sponge is impregnated with carbon, and in the Rio it was a lot thinner than the blue & green sponges. Wait until the tank is cycled with a full fish load then take it out. Either replace it with another blue sponge or leave the space empty in case you ever do need to use carbon to remove medication after the treatment has finished.

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
Progress has been made! Did my tests today and my nitrite level was the same as yesterday, rather than going up as it had in previous days. I know you said mature media helps, but I didn't think it would be that quick  :)

The possible issue with velvet that I'm having is isn't going to reduce the level of nitrite produced is it? They still eat all the food I give them, so I guess not. They bacteria has just improved very quickly and I'm a bit surprised.

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
Provided you avoid the med that Sanjo had, the bacteria should be OK.

And yes, any tiny bit helps. It is possible you didn't have quite enough nitrite eaters and the mature media had enough to get to the optimum number.

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »
So I've just had my 7th day of no ammonia or nitrites, so I think I'm ready to get some new fish and I was hoping you could give me a bit of advice.

You mentioned at the start of this thread that I shouldn't put more than a third of what I already have. I'm finding it hard to abide by that rule. My plan is something like this (feel free to note any silly mistakes I may have made):

Guppies (already have)
Cherry Barbs
Some form of Tetra
Glowlight Danios
A cat fish of some sort
I have some other bits in mind assuming I'm not overstocked

The problem I am having is that, bar the catfish, all of these need to be in groups of 4+ which is over the third rule. I have various options for a catfish; Bristlenose, Bulldog, Spotted Bulldog, Candy-Striped and Otos are all stocked at my local MA. Other than the Otos, the adult size of all of these is over a third. The Bulldogs or Candy-Striped are closest at 8-10 cm I think.

Would I be OK to put one of those in? I'm not keen on Otos as the rest of the fish I am after are quite small and I would like something a little bigger. If its not OK to go with one of the catfish can I put smaller groups of the other fish stated above, assuming that I will increase the size of the group as soon as possible?

Just as a side note, I didn't medicate my tank for velvet. They all looked too healthy and had no golden shine. Since the rubbing has stopped and they are all still healthy and alive :D

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:22:26 PM »
I do understand your dilemma; I'm restocking after losing a lot of my fish and the loss of a lot of my filter bacteria due to reduced ammonia made by the lower fish numbers for the last couple of months.

Shoaling fish prefer a minimum of 6 rather than 4 despite what the fish profiles/community creator on here say. And some nippy species (you don't list any) do better with 10+ to keep the nippiness within the group.
The other annoying factor is that most shops sell shoaling fish at £x per fish and £y for 5.

The one third of fish already in the tank 'rule' is to prevent any ammonia or nitrite showing up after adding new fish. The filter bacteria can double in number in 24 hours under optimum conditions (though few tanks have these optimum conditions of pH, hardness, temperature etc).
If you are prepared to monitor your water conditions on a daily basis again, get a shoal of one of the species on your list. You will probably find a slight rise in ammonia as the new fish would make the same again as the guppies, but nitrite might well not show any increase - the ammonia eaters will grow slowly till there are enough of them to remove the new ammonia load, and they will increase the nitrite level slowly rather than all at once as for ammonia; the nitrite eaters should be able to keep up with the slowly rising nitrite level.

Once you have 12 fish, getting another 6 next time shouldn't have quite the same effect on the ammonia level, but still keep a eye on that and nitrite.

After adding one batch of fish, wait until you've had double zeros for a week before getting the next batch.

Offline MichaelT

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
I am happy to keep monitoring the numbers, but I'm not in a position where I can change water everyday. I will have chance to change water everyday for the next few, so hopefully that gives the bacteria time to build up.

I'll have a look what's available over the weekend and try and get a set of 6. Hopefully it stint overload the tank to much.

In terms of the catfish, would it be better leaving him until the tank is more stocked, or does that not matter?

Guppy (male) (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
With 110 litres in the tank, even another half dozen fish shouldn't cause the ammonia level to get too high too quickly. As long as you do stick to just another half dozen fish you should be OK testing every couple of days. And if you do see ammonia, do a big water change to get it really low rather than a small one to get just below 0.25 so it will take longer to build up again.

Otos would need to wait a few months until the tank has grown a good supply of algae. The other types in your list should be OK whenever you want to get one as they will eat algae wafers, cucumber, courgette (which is more nutritious than cucumber) etc. Research the catfish on Seriously Fish and planetcatfish as some plecs need wood to graze on - though if you already have wood, that's fine.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Tank Water Conditions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 10:52:15 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
by Loubaa
3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 10:24:34 AM
by Bluejon71
15 Replies
Last post January 22, 2016, 10:45:50 AM
by Extreme_One
2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 12:27:34 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2017, 01:05:50 PM
by Andy The Minion
8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 07:13:27 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: